Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
TVG

Default RHD air filter?

Hello all,
I have a 1930 right hand drive Phaeton. I will be using the car in the high desert of South Eastern Oregon in the summer & will defiantly need an air filter. Our road is 2-1/2 miles of fine volcanic ash & dust, like talcum powder, that billows up at the slightest disturbance. I wish that I did not have to run one but I can't use the car there without one.
I have a Zenith carburetor.
I don't want a paper filter under the carburetor if at all possible.

Are there RHD air filter options above the carburetor? What have our Australian or New Zealand members come up with?

Merry Christmas!
TVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:18 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: RHD air filter?

Room is not easily available to fit an air cleaner on a RHD Model A, as you will have learned. For years, I ran an paper element filter mounted on the radiator stays with a length of old vacuum cleaner hose running down to a special fitting I made from fibre glass to get between the choke rod and steering column and thus to the carburettor. That worked well and if you PM me your email address, I will try to send you a picture of my home made adaptor.
There were air cleaners available at one time from he vendors for Model As they called a "High Boy" filter. These units fitted both right and left handed cars so there might well be one available over here. I have one on the wall that I won't use but potage is a killer. They have a 180° "U" bend right under the carburettor, a short straight length of pipe which had an upturn once it was past the carburettor and a filter at the end. The end of the pipe near the filter was secured to one of the bolts holding the side cover on the motor. It could not be used with an oil filter mounted on the side cover however.
Again, if I have your email address, I could send you a picture of it and maybe you could run a "Wanted to Buy" ad over there for one once you have a picture to include in your ad.
It is already Christmas Day here. Merry Christmas to you too. (and to all on the forum)
Old 12-24-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
SAJ

Here is a couple I did. Slipped onto Model B carbs with a greased felt washer to seal since there is no room for a clamp due to the 2 tooth column proximity. The elbow is 2 inch plumbers copper. The adaptor is held by one of the inlet to exhaust hot spot studs. I made a thick card mock-up first then rolled the tube for a tight fit to the carb, and brazed the right angle box shape to it. This gives a better cross section area where the air inflow turns the corner than using bent tubing. Mixture unchanged with this conversion and carb is not air-balanced. K AND N filter traps a load of stuff even though many say it is not efficient enough.
I had a foam filter below the carb made by Shadbolt Engineering in Christchurch in NZ, but was nervous about fires. In the end I forded a deep creek and drowned that low-mounted filter. Lucky not to hydraulic the engine and bend a rod!
A standard zenith will have a lot more room to fit.
I have made a number of these adaptors as shown.
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161119_141309_copy_735x413.jpg (243.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20161125_172014_copy_736x414.jpg (242.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_123630_copy_413x735.jpg (31.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_171148_copy_796x447.jpg (241.3 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by SAJ; 12-24-2023 at 04:45 PM.
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
SAJ

Arnold types and posts quicker than me!! I have many XMas greetings texts interrupting me as I type. It is Xmas morning here.
Merry Xmas everyone
SAJ in NZ
Old 12-24-2023, 06:11 PM   #5
Synchro909

So, Stuart's adaptor goes OVER the choke rod. Mine went between it and the column - not much difference. If you were to imagine a hose up to a round air filter mounted on the radiator stays from Stuart's adaptor, you pretty much have mine.
BTW. TVG, I just noticed you have only 2 posts. You will need a few more before you can PM anyone
Old 12-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #6
Lawrie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
easy to fit a filter to RHD ,IF you have a downdraft carburettor
I use a stock KN one
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
quickchange

Snyders sell a RHD one
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 06:16 AM   #8
dave in australia

Dad fitted a motorcycle pod filter on his A. It was the style with a chrome cap, which just cleared the steering column when fitted. Ignore the size in the picture, you'll have to measure the size required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pod filter.jpg (37.2 KB, 2 views)
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #9
SAJ

DAVE, that is a pretty small filter. I imagine air balancing would be needed to equalise vacuum created inside this pod with the ambient pressure in the float bowl, otherwise mixture will be enriched too much. And performance at higher revs will be restrained by lack of sufficient air flow.
My opinion only, but seen on other members cars with small pod filters off scooters.
The large K and N I used does not restrict the inlet due to the high flow rate. Poorer filtration is the result of course but it still collects a load of dust on the oiled cotton and needs cleaning often on the dusty country roads our rallies tale us on.
I had a large paper filter on the same system - see photo. But this affected the mixture due to better filtration and higher restriction.
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161120_154739_copy_715x402.jpg (243.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by SAJ; 12-25-2023 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Ambient not ambience!!! Spaell chequers#$!&
Old 12-25-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Snyders sell a RHD one
I checked their website before I made my first post on this thread and didn't see any. Do you have a part number for the OP , Derek?