Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #1
KJ714

Default Old brazed repairs on a 21 stud

Hi,

I'm tearing down this old block that's been out of service a long long time apparently. Everything looks pretty good inside, bearings are actually pretty nice, nothing was too loose or floppy, Flat top pistons .060, ford rods, one cylinder's valves are pretty tarry like it was smoking pretty bad and it's got a lot of that old goop in the pan from oil additives to try to control those kind of smoking engine issues.

Then there's these old repairs. What do you think, worth the effort to put it back together, or just scrap it out. I bought it for $100 to get the crank pulley and heads and stuff off of it and whatever else was salvageable.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (41.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.4 KB, 176 views)
KJ714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Old brazed repairs on a 21 stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ714 View Post
Hi,

I'm tearing down this old block that's been out of service a long long time apparently. Everything looks pretty good inside, bearings are actually pretty nice, nothing was too loose or floppy, Flat top pistons .060, ford rods, one cylinder's valves are pretty tarry like it was smoking pretty bad and it's got a lot of that old goop in the pan from oil additives to try to control those kind of smoking engine issues.

Then there's these old repairs. What do you think, worth the effort to put it back together, or just scrap it out. I bought it for $100 to get the crank pulley and heads and stuff off of it and whatever else was salvageable.

Thanks!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #3
rockfla

A good cleaning and pressure testing would be the starting point for me BEFORE you ask the questions you just asked.....Pressure testing "might" answer a lot "before" you even have to ask. JMO
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Me, I'd probably grind down into the brass a bit and see how deep it goes. When there are cracks like that, you can almost be assured they go down into/below the hardened valve seat. The right process is to remove the valve seat and see how far the cracks go - then determine whether or not they can be "pinned" with confidence. Pinning involves the drilling, tapping and installation of Iron-Tite or Lock-n-Stitch type iron plugs. If you have never done it, is a good idea to bring the block to somebody who has done a lot of it.

Also, you will have to sleeve both cylinders - as the cracks will end up in the bores as well.

In the end, you'll have to sink some $$$ into it . . . and I'd start with exploring these old "fixes" and also having the whole block magged and pressure tested. There can be other cracks you don't yet know about.

What year is the block?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #5
KJ714

It's a 35 or 36 block, babbitt bearings not inserts. I'll probably have a little bit of test done on it, I always hate to throw a block away if it can be saved, Ford's not making them anymore, right?
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #6
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ714 View Post
It's a 35 or 36 block, babbitt bearings not inserts. I'll probably have a little bit of test done on it, I always hate to throw a block away if it can be saved, Ford's not making them anymore, right?
Nope, but as I said and B&S.....IF there are cracks else where then all the other work exploring the repairs most likely would be worthless. Its best to have the block cleaned before its pressure tested and definitely before its magnafluxed. SO there is that expense.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #7
KJ714

Oh, I'm gonna pressure wash the heck out of it after I pull the valves today for sure. Then it'll go over to Harrell Engines LA & Alec can take a look at it, he's a real good guy to know in the flathead world in SoCal.
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #8
KiWinUS

Pressure test it and run it. So long as it passes pressure test and you don’t want to go long trips. Run it. I think that’s freaking awesome. I have to say I am incredibly talented with an Oxy Acetylene torch to include some massive cheated race parts many moons back so trust me who ever did that knew what they were doing. Will it be successful? I have no idea. As I said I can braise damn good and I wouldn’t do that. BUT you have nothing to lose go for it. It may ruin fine forever.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #9
Ggmac

It appears to have been running a while after the repairs . Assuming no new cracks , I’d clean it rering it and run it .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #10
KJ714

Lol, yeah I’ve done some magic with braze and flux too always fun.