Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2019, 01:38 AM   #421
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The possum.

No, not the opossum which is American but the Australian possum. They are mainly leaf eaters but do succumb to fruit which I use to catch and relocate them. Apples are their favourite. They are nocturnal and love to make home in the roofs of houses. They become a nuisance and if they make it into your ceiling you will reckon there’s a footy team up there playing a grand final. They wake sometime after dark and venture out to feed. They return about an hour before daylight. They can be tamed easily, especially with fruit but quickly become a pest. They love to decimate your orchard by taking one only bite from each piece of fruit then dropping it on the ground and moving on the do the same to the entire tree. They are marsupials and prolific breeders.

I read thereare more than 20 types of possums in Australia but I know only two. Brush tailsand ring tails. The former being more common. I wish I didn’t know any.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringtail possum.jpg (7.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg mum and bubs brush tail.JPG (19.4 KB, 11 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:55 AM   #422
woofa.express

The Sugar Glider.

Mainly herbivore but also insectivore, marsupial and nocturnal. A small fellow that shows after dusk. Well I guess that's what nocturnal means. Climbs up the tree quite rapidly not unlike a squirrel and glides to another tree. It has a membrane of skin between all legs. It’s approach to the destination tree is rapid and the touchdown is hard.

We had quite a few Sugars until our neighbour decided to keep cats and now the population has been decimated. The Sugars do provide a useful service to the native trees. We have a parasitic mistletoe which drains the tree of moisture and nutrient and when it flowers the Sugars eat the flower and thus prevent this curse spreading.

Sugars are not known to many people. The picture is from the internet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sugar jpeg.JPG (18.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-01-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #423
woofa.express

Australia’s most hated animal.

It is the domestic and feral cat. Killers of native animals and birds. Respective owners all claim their pets would not do such a thing but almost without exception they know the truth. The quote below is direct from the internet.

Each feral cat kills between 5-30animals per day. A conservative estimate puts the total population of feral cats at approximately 4 million. This means feral cats are killing millions of native animals killed per day.

The above quote does not account for destruction by domestic cats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat photo.JPG (48.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-01-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #424
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Australia’s most hated animal.

It is the domestic and feral cat. Killers of native animals and birds. Respective owners all claim their pets would not do such a thing but almost without exception they know the truth. The quote below is direct from the internet.

Each feral cat kills between 5-30animals per day. A conservative estimate puts the total population of feral cats at approximately 4 million. This means feral cats are killing millions of native animals killed per day.

The above quote does not account for destruction by domestic cats.
Just curious: Where do rabbits fit in here? I've heard they're rather unpopular, too!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #425
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Just curious: Where do rabbits fit in here? I've heard they're rather unpopular, too!
Yes you are quite correct Mr 40. The poms bought rabbits to Australia to provide game. They also bought sparrows, those pesky dirty little birds. It was an endeavour to have Australia "just like home".
yes rabbits have caused vast areas of erosion. Perhaps secondary they eat pasture which would otherwise be eaten by profit producing livestock.
At this moment they are somewhat under control with the introduction of Calisivirus. Earlier it was myxomatosis but gradually rabbits became tolerant to that. It will probably happen, in time, that they will become tolerant to Calisi as well. I remember flying low level in South Australia and watching about 150 yards in front of the aeroplane and seeing rabbits by the hundreds run for their burrows. It's been some time since I flew there but last trip didn't spot a single one.
One can find historical film of catching rabbits by the thousands. Rabbit proof fences were erected. Then it was dog or dingo fences. Now there's areas of cat proof fences to allow the small native animals to breed. It looks successful but encompasses only small areas.
copied from the internet, below-

Within a number of years, those 24 rabbits multiplied into millions. By the 1920s, less than 70 years since its introduction, the rabbit population in Australia ballooned to an estimated 10 billion, reproducing at a rate of 18 to 30 per single female rabbit per year.Mar 8, 2018

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-01-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #426
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

And incidentally during the depression rabbits were called "underground chicken".

Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #427
woofa.express

The Echidna.

I have compiled this story mainly from the internet. The animal is one that I don’t see often and don’t know alot about. There is a link at the bottom of the page which takes you to an article on the Echidna, it is interesting and short. The parts that are copied are in blue and some come from the article from the link shown at the bottom.
Echidnas are egg-layingmammals. Along with the platypus, the echidna is a member of themonotremes, an order of egg-laying mammals found in Australia. After mating, a female echidna lays a single, soft-shelled, leathery egg, about the size of a dime, into her pouch.
The Echidnais a spiky little fellow that one doesn’t find frequently. When approached it will burrow it’s feet and snout into the earth and just can’t be picked up, not that one would want to. If found on ground that is too hard to dig into it will roll into a ball. It lives on ants and termites, they are day workers except in very hot weather when they go on night shift.
As some other posters have already said, echidnas are monotremes, hedgehogsare insectivores and porcupines are rodents. They are all mammals though. ...One of the major differences is that echidnas are actually monontremes (egg laying mammals) while hedgehogs and porcupineare not. (they give live birth).Nov 8, 2015
Now here’san interesting situation, maybe some readers could feel quite envious.
Echidnas typically breed between Julyand August. Mating for echidnas is quite unusual. Males have four-headed penises and the females have a two-branch reproductive tract. Only two of the heads are active at a time. It is thought that the four heads help males produce more sperm and enables them to become more competitive against other males

A female usually lays one egg at atime. The egg goes into a pouch on her stomach to incubate. After seven to 10 days, the egg is ready to hatch, according to the Animal Diversity Web. When it hatches, a baby echidna, called a puggle, is about half an inch (12 millimeters) long and weighs 0.02 ounces or about half a gram.The puggle stays in its mother's pouch for another six to eight weeks, which give its spines time to harden.
https://www.livescience.com/57267-echidna-facts.html

Tomorrow, the duck billed platypus.
Picture from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echidna 2.JPG (73.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #428
woofa.express

The Platypus.

Commonly known as the duck billed platypus. Lives in creek beds and burrows from below the water line then up to dry ground. This allows the entrance to be hidden. He’s a fellow that not many have seen. One needs to stand or sit very still for two or three minutes then the creature will continue its task at hand which is probably food scavenging.
It has a bill like a duck, thus the name, webbed feet too like a duck but they are retracted for movement on land and a tail and fur like a beaver. It can defend itself with poison spikes behind its hind feet. It feeds on small aquatic creatures such as prawns (shrimp) and some insects.
It is a mammal but not a marsupial. She lays an egg which she nurtures with body heat by holding it against her tummy with her tail. The only other egg laying mammal is the Echidna which was featured yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg platypus 1.JPG (44.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg platypus 2.JPG (20.2 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #429
woofa.express

Acknowledgement and Gratitude.

I upgraded my 6V starter motor to 12V and the bendix has been troublesome ever since. Synchro909 came to my rescue by selling me a starter motor (and cheaply too) and offering to fit my new field coils into it. Thankyou Mr Synchro.
Picture of Synchro otherwise known as Mr A. That is A for awesome.
And myself as accepting with delight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy 1.jpg (26.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg smiley 2.JPG (48.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #430
Synchro909

Quote:
Acknowledgement and Gratitude.

I upgraded my 6V starter motor to 12V and the bendix has been troublesome ever since. Synchro909 came to my rescue by selling me a starter motor (and cheaply too) and offering to fit my new field coils into it. Thankyou Mr Synchro.
Picture of Synchro otherwise known as Mr A. That is A for awesome.
And myself as accepting with delight.
Aw shucks, 'taint nuthin.
Seriously, I think helping each other is what this forum is all about and something I like to do when I can anyway.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #431
woofa.express

The Bandicoot.

A delightful small character, about the same size as a rabbit but have a rat look alike appearance. They have soft fur and are harmless little characters. Found in forest, particularly rain forests in the north but do extend to the south. A marsupial and a fast breeding one too however its population is decimated by cats, foxes and dingos. Urban expansion also.
They tend to be solitary characters rather than live in families or packs and their young are called bilbies.
I enjoyed just seeing these little creatures in the north. I’d leave out, on the lawn, a take away food bag with a few scraps and that would attract them. I have never known any to be kept as pets and there is no need to.
Pictures from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandicoot 1.JPG (43.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bandicoot2.JPG (128.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 01-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #432
woofa.express

Animals I know not alot about.

Information gleaned mostly from the internet.

Tasmanian Devil.

Confined to Tasmania. A marsupial about the same size as a dog. Mainly nocturnal has diet of almost anything. Known for its shocking table manners.They fight for food not unlike a pack of wild dogs being thrown a bone. The only ones I have seen are road kill.

Quokka.
A marsupial and relative to the kangaroo. Grows to about 18 inches tall. Marsupial,carnivore and nocturnal. Found only at Rottnest Island, about 15 miles off the coast of Perth WA. The island was named by Dutch explorer who mistook the Quokka for rats thus the name in Dutch- rat nest. I have never been to Rottnest thus never seen one.
This is a direct copy from the internet.
Rottnest Island was discovered in 1696 by Willem de Vlamingh,a Dutch explorer, who named the island Rats' Nest due to the many large rats that he found on the island.

Quoll.
About the same size as a cat, found throughout Australia. Carnivore, Marsupial, and nocturnal. I have neverseen one.
There are many more native creatures. In the animal world I will write of the kangaroo and crocodile. I’ll then do some birds and some reptiles. Hope you won’t become bored shirtless.

the pictures, L to R. Tasmanian Devil, Quokka and Quoll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tasmanian devil.JPG (25.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg quokka.JPG (45.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg quoll.JPG (18.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #433
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Animals I know not alot about.

Information gleaned mostly from the internet.

Tasmanian Devil.

Confined to Tasmania. A marsupial about the same size as a dog. Mainly nocturnal has diet of almost anything. Known for its shocking table manners.They fight for food not unlike a pack of wild dogs being thrown a bone. The only ones I have seen are road kill.

"Roadkill"? Did I hear "roadkill"? Do you have any good roadkill recipes? Lots of roadkill jokes, but seriously, some U.S. states allow you to get a permit and keep that deer you clobbered on the highway.

Quokka.
A marsupial and relative to the kangaroo. Grows to about 18 inches tall. Marsupial,carnivore and nocturnal. Found only at Rottnest Island, about 15 miles off the coast of Perth WA. The island was named by Dutch explorer who mistook the Quokka for rats thus the name in Dutch- rat nest. I have never been to Rottnest thus never seen one.
This is a direct copy from the internet.
Rottnest Island was discovered in 1696 by Willem de Vlamingh,a Dutch explorer, who named the island Rats' Nest due to the many large rats that he found on the island.

Quoll.
About the same size as a cat, found throughout Australia. Carnivore, Marsupial, and nocturnal. I have neverseen one.
There are many more native creatures. In the animal world I will write of the kangaroo and crocodile. I’ll then do some birds and some reptiles. Hope you won’t become bored shirtless.

the pictures, L to R. Tasmanian Devil, Quokka and Quoll.

"Roadkill"? Did I hear "roadkill"? Got any good roadkill recipes? Some U.S. states allow you to get a permit and keep that deer you clobbered on the highway.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #434
woofa.express

Yes Mr 40Delux. Roadkill. Well the Tas Devil does not stimulate my appetite. Dirty little Devils is what they really are.
Could I put one in my freezer for you.?

Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #435
woofa.express

Estuarine Crocodiles or Salt water Crocodile.

Well known is the estuarine or salt water crocodile because it is a man eater and bovine eater and horse and donkey eater but mainly for consumption of unsuspecting tourists. It gets a couple each year. It is the largest reptile in the world and is egg laying with mother taking protective guard of her future offspring. About 50 eggs and incubation period of 12 weeks. It lives to 70 years, grows to the extreme of 24 feet long and 1 ton in weight. Moves at fast speed in water and on land for short periods. Not intimidated by anything. Found mainly in Northern Australia plus Papua New Guinea and some parts of Indonesia. I’ve seen them from the air, sunning themselves on the river banks. Not frightened by aeroplane.

The Johnson River Crocodile or Freshwater Croc.
Named after Johnson an aboriginal policeman who first bought this to the attention of a naturalist, not the Johnson river in North Queensland. Can be found inland in good rivers and billabongs. Not aggressive infact slightly shy and swimmers bitten by this freshie only when it has mistaken it’s target.
Very much smaller than the saltie typically 8 feet long and weighing only about 150 pounds. Diet of small native animals. Like the saltie it lays nests and when the young hatch mother carries the bubs to the water in her mouth.
Both saltie and freshie have same habit on catching prey. They roll and roll and the prey drowns. The pictures, from the internet show 2 salties and on the right a freshie.
Tomorrow the Kangaroo.
A late footnote. When I lived in the Kimberlies of WA in the '60's I'd fly down the Ord River about 50 feet and infront, about 100 yards and see these little fellows run from the shore to the water. It was great to get such exposure to that wild life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salty.JPG (38.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg salty 2.JPG (42.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg croc freshie.JPG (40.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-05-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #436
woofa.express

The Kangaroo.

Widespread throughout Australia. It’s a well known animal and recognised as an Australian icon throughout the world. They have big feet and powerful hind legs. An enormous jump and can make 25 feet in one single hop and reach speeds greater than 30mph. They are the biggest marsupials in the world and can grow to a height of a little more than 6 feet and weigh about 200 pounds. One that size is called a booma. The females a doe, the males a buck and bubs a joey.
The most common are the red kangaroo and the eastern grey kangaroo. In all there are 55 different species. The wallaby is their smaller cousins. Simular characteristics just smaller.
They are herbivores. Their numbers have expanded rapidly because of the expansion of grazing with more watering points and improved pasture. Everyone likes kangaroos but too many can become a nuisance to graziers by competing for pasture with livestock and to farmers because they trample crops. They can jump fences or pass under the bottom wire. Sometimes they just mess up fences. In dryer conditions the roadside is greener because in addition to any rain the runoff from the road promotes green pick and they come there to graze. Many motorcars are damaged by striking them and bodies can be seen in big numbers along some roadsides. They are most active at dusk and dawn. When I see them on the road I turn off the headlights because they are drawn onto the road which is illuminated. We would have a couple of hundred around Tocumwal here. They are an attraction for visitors especially kids.
They are harvested for pet food. Greenies go off and say they are becoming extinct. It bullshit.One lady said she flew from Broken Hill to Sydney and never saw one. She was asked if she saw any sheep and no she said, she didn’t. Well it was pointed out to her we, at that time, had 120 million of them. (We now have only 99 million.)

The pictures show 2 bucks having an altercation, the emblem of local airline, Does with Joey's in pouch and feeding on lawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kanga 3.JPG (21.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kanga 4.JPG (61.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg kanga 1.JPG (14.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kanga around house.jpg (20.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #437
woofa.express

something is wrong. 40Deluxe hasn't yet asked if we eat kangaroo roadkill.
Maybe he hasn't read it yet??

Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #438
40 Deluxe

Quote:
something is wrong. 40Deluxe hasn't yet asked if we eat kangaroo roadkill.
Maybe he hasn't read it yet??

Hi Gary, I'm just waiting for the recipe! Does it taste like chicken? In the U.S. they say every odd dish (rattlesnake, frog legs, etc.) tastes like chicken.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #439
woofa.express

From Mr 40. In the U.S. they say every odd dish (rattlesnake, frog legs, etc.) tastes like chicken.

No Mr 40, it's only rabbit that is called chicken. Underground chicken. It would appear the appetites of Australians is more selective than Americans. cheers, gary

Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #440
woofa.express

Tomorrow is Snakes. But in the interim it is about Gary. Yes me.

I had had a school friend come and spend a day with me. Of course we reminisced about everything associated and I brought up my “school certificate” results. This was a pretty low level exam and basically any student with an IQ greater than 60 should pass. Well gary here got a big fat 0, yes zero. One needed from 5 subjects a mark of 200 or greater but a minimum of 30 for the compulsory subject of English. Well I couldn’t make that. High marks in every other subject. But English, 28. Passed the following year. There was a compulsory essay and one topic in the choice of subjects was “aerial topdressing”, well bingo. I scraped through.
Another aspect in which I was poor was communicating. It was not a big thing in our household. I do remember well my parents discussing with me my school report and the teacher reported “gary has difficulty expressing himself”. That was a fair comment and in addition to that I never defended myself well against criticism even unfair criticism. It was easier to let it pass.
Why am Itelling you all this? Well it is this forum that has taught me to express myself much better. Now I don’t let unjust criticism pass. My self esteem is better and since I’ve written about a broad range of subjects I’ve come to realise I’ve had an interesting job and indeed life. The support I have had from readers has confirmed this and I acknowledge and thank you all. And I welcome comments and questions I get from you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunce.JPG (30.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg professor.JPG (34.1 KB, 1 views)