Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2022, 04:20 AM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default Voltage Regulator current issue causing headlight failure?

So my 41 Ford woodie has all original wiring that someone has dicked with at some point before she came to me, and is wired improperly in the lighting circuit. I know it needs to be rewired, and I plan on doing so in the spring. Sadly everything is soldered in under the dash...

Here's how the lighting circuit works: In order to have rear brake lights, the high beam circuit has to be selected even if the lights are off, and although the dash jewel light says the hi beams are selected, they are in fact low beams. Also, if I want the heater to work, the headlights must be on in the same position in order for the heater to be on.

Recently, I was having generator charging issues, and traced it back to the points on the cut out side being burned out from use. I put a brand new NOS Filco in and now am having my issue. The car is charging great, but the lights become intermittent once warm. Ill start the car and drive with the lights and heater going, drive for 15 minutes, and poof, their gone. I pull over, knock the top of the regulator a few times with my knuckle, and 9 times out of 10 they come back on.

I have filed the points to try and reduce sticking. I've noticed recently when the regulator goes to charge, this is when the problems start.

Voltage adjustment? Current Adjustment?

Thanks in advance!
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Voltage Regulator current issue causing headlight failure?

Hard to tell what the problem is since the car is not wired correctly. Suggest you get the car wired properly then see if the problem exist.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
pistonbroke

I'm going out on a limb here but it sounds like they have used your high beam circuit for a power supply. To start with I would clean things up at the dimmer switch by removing the feed wires for the brake lights and heater from it. They don't belong there at all. If you still have the circuit breaker on the firewall your feed for the brake lights can be hooked up there (but not on the battery or + lug) . Your heater should have a inline fuse and be hooked up to your ACC lug on your ignition switch. Your head lights have been plugged in wrong out by the radiator I believe , the hi and low beam wires have been reversed and need to be unplugged and reversed back to the correct way. This is something I can walk you through this if you can get me correct info and follow what I'm saying, ask if it doesn't make sense. This was my specialty back in the day. Tim PM me if you need more guidance
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

I’d go ahead and re wire the car. Your just asking for trouble with that rats nest and possibly a fire.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #5
paul2748

Ditto on the rewire - wood burns very quickly
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:37 AM   #6
koates

Firstly the voltage regulator should have nothing to do with the power supply to the headlight circuit. Possibly the headlight circuit breaker under the dash has a weak bi-metal and is tripping out when it gets hot . If you have higher wattage headlight bulbs than standard which will pull more current then the circuit breaker will trip out. Sounds like your wiring may be not connected correctly in some areas . Find an auto electrician who can sort this out for you because if you dont understand electrics then you will need help.. Dont mess with it if you dont understand the wiring circuit. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:57 AM   #7
30aadoodlebug

Thanks for the replies guys! It sounds like Im just going to have to bite the bullet and rewire it now and not next spring. Wish me luck, and thanks again.
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
rotorwrench

More than likely there are some frayed wires making cross over contact. The circuit breaker gets hot and pops open. After it cools off it pops back closed again. Replace the harness if you have frayed wires. It'll keep giving problems till you get all the shorts fixed.

Check your voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be around 7 plus volts. Too high will overcharge the battery. Too low and the battery won't charge properly.

The old terminal sockets can be a PITA to get the male pins out. I use a tool that fits in the gap of the socket to expand it so the pin will come out. I broke the pins off the wires till I figured it out.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-28-2022 at 04:46 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #9
dono50

Send a message via MSN to dono50

Check the connections at the firewall where the dash harness and headlight harness connect. Most likely the problem area. 7 wires are color coded, black to black, yellow to yellow etc.
Difficult to distinguish colors on old wiring.
dono50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #10
supereal

It is much easier to rewire a car using a new wire loom. Be sure that it comes with a circuit diagram, and wire color info. Many looms are made for several models, so look for details mentioning these variations. At our shop it is not unusual to do complete rewire jobs, and much time is saved using high quality looms.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote