Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
theriddler56

Send a message via Yahoo to theriddler56
Default Opinion wanted

I’m building a 34 p/u flathead powered, t-5 transmission, banjo rear with 4.11 gears. The block is a 8ba block it has a 3-3/8” bore with 1.6” valves, the cam is a regrind 286 duration and .380” lift. I will be using a 3-2 intake. My question is what stroke would be good? 3-3/4” = 268, 4” = 286, 4-1/8” = 295, or 4-1/4 = 304. I want an engine that is street-able but fun to drive. Give me your opinion and WHY.

Thanks,

Stephen
theriddler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Opinion wanted

The best stroke is the most you can afford. More is always better.
The cam you have will be best suited to a larger cubic inch engine. 304 or larger.
A 3/8 bore in most 8ba blocks leaves enough for at least 2 rebuild bore jobs.
It is always a good plan to sonic test before any bore job.
There is no down side to more cubic inches other than it takes a bit more work for the port job. It needs to be BIG and well matched to the manifold and headers.
The other equipment you list will work fine.
With big cubic inches you need a very good ignition like a mag or capacitor discharge
type.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
slowforty

3.78 rears gears might be more driver friendly. Makes no difference. The old lady in the wore out KIA will still leave you at the light.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
flathead4rd

I'd just go with a Mercury 4" crank. I don't think the extra cubes are worth the expense. This is the combination I run (286 CI). WC T-5 and a Maverick 8 inch rear end. Easily keeps up with the crazy interstate drivers if necessary. Cruise at 70 at about 2,100 RPM.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
KiWinUS

Pete nailed it. Listen to him. He knows. Be sure the cam you have is what you want.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Veeder

I just wish I had the knowledge as you guys!!
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

The Flathead in my 40 Convertible is bored to 3 3/8 with a 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft. The only reason I didn’t go with a 4 1/4 stroke is because back when I built that engine they weren’t readily available. Has a Isky Max1 cam with three Stromberg 97s with a T5 transmission and 3:50 gears in the rear. That engine pulls really good , has lots of torque. The 40 is heavy compared to your pickup. I think 4:11 would be a mistake in your pickup.

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 11-18-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
The Flathead in my 40 Convertible is bird to 3 3/8 with a 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft. The only reason I didn’t go with a 4 1/4 stroke is because back when I built that engine they weren’t readily available. Has a Isky Max1 cam with three Stromberg 97s with a T5 transmission and 3:50 gears in the rear. That engine pulls really good , has lots of torque. The 40 is heavy compared to your pickup. I think 4:11 would be a mistake in your pickup.

Well I'll be....! As you MAY know, I'm a huge advocate of the T5 transmission behind a Ford flathead. I never had a clue that your convertible has a T5 in it. Could you possibly take a few minutes to explain to the whole world just how much more fun that T5 has made that car to drive, over and above the Ford 3-speed? Do you know any of the info on the gear ratios in your T5?

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #9
KiWinUS

Quote:
The Flathead in my 40 Convertible is bird to 3 3/8 with a 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft. The only reason I didn’t go with a 4 1/4 stroke is because back when I built that engine they weren’t readily available. Has a Isky Max1 cam with three Stromberg 97s with a T5 transmission and 3:50 gears in the rear. That engine pulls really good , has lots of torque. The 40 is heavy compared to your pickup. I think 4:11 would be a mistake in your pickup.
Jeez Ken imagine how great that engine would be with that “other” cam you have. 😉
Old 11-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #10
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Jeez Ken imagine how great that engine would be with that “other” cam you have. 😉
That been my intention from the day I got it. Now that I’m retired maybe I’ll have time. The throw out bearing is howling so I’ll probably pull the engine anyway.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Well I'll be....! As you MAY know, I'm a huge advocate of the T5 transmission behind a Ford flathead. I never had a clue that your convertible has a T5 in it. Could you possibly take a few minutes to explain to the whole world just how much more fun that T5 has made that car to drive, over and above the Ford 3-speed? Do you know any of the info on the gear ratios in your T5?

Coop

It’s way more fun to drive. I drove it for years with a 39 gearbox and a Columbia two speed. The T5 makes it more user friendly. The T5 I have in there is of the S10 style with the low first gear. Not a fan of it but I live with it. What counts is on the top end. I put an 8” rear out of a Grenada in it and used Chassis Engineering leaf springs and hangers . It all bolted right in and didn’t even need to move the spring pads on the axle. Changed the gear to a 3:50
Old 11-18-2022, 07:55 PM   #12
theriddler56

Cam 286 duration @0”, 240 duration@ .050”, lift .380”.

we T-5 Mustang tag # 238; 1st 3.35, 2nd 1.93, 3rd 1.23, 4th 1.00, 5th .73

Tire diameter 30” with 4.11 gear in od 2000 rpm (approx) @ 60

Thanks for those who gave an opinion.

I agree cubes are nice but for a street engine is 4-1/8 or 4-1/4 stroke worth it?

I agree an graded Ignition is definitely a must
Old 11-18-2022, 08:21 PM   #13
KiWinUS

More stroke More poke. Yes it’s well worth it. That cam may be a turd in a small engine I’m guessing it’s a single plane cam.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Yes there are lots of experienced folks here and I'm enjoying this post along with you. Would love to install a T-5 in my heavy truck based woodie, and I see here one from an S-10 might be the ticket for me in this hilly place. Always wondered abut a 9 inch too. So bring on the opinions, they will benefit more than just the OP. Just don't ask for opinions on motor oil. We don't have enough popcorn in our pantry.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:28 PM   #15
theriddler56

I value your opinion. You are much more knowledgeable about cams than me. I’ll attach a pic of the cam card. What would you recommend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-18-2022, 09:50 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
It’s way more fun to drive. I drove it for years with a 39 gearbox and a Columbia two speed. The T5 makes it more user friendly. The T5 I have in there is of the S10 style with the low first gear. Not a fan of it but I live with it. What counts is on the top end. I put an 8” rear out of a Grenada in it and used Chassis Engineering leaf springs and hangers . It all bolted right in and didn’t even need to move the spring pads on the axle. Changed the gear to a 3:50

Ken.... Thank you for the info update! There was no doubt in my mind that you would speak swimmingly of the improvement in the driving experience with the T5. With all those gears to choose from, along with the synchronizers on EVERY gear, it'll pull like crazy while keeping the REVS right there in that happy torque band. Ken, you already know how much more smile a Mustang or a Camaro close-ratio gear box with the well-spaced gears would put on your face. Listen-up guys, all this from a Ford Barner that knows well what he's talking about.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #17
KiWinUS

Quote:
Ken.... Thank you for the info update! There was no doubt in my mind that you would speak swimmingly of the improvement in the driving experience with the T5. With all those gears to choose from, along with the synchronizers on EVERY gear, it'll pull like crazy while keeping the REVS right there in that happy torque band. Ken, you already know how much more smile a Mustang or a Camaro close-ratio gear box with the well-spaced gears would put on your face. Listen-up guys, all this from a Ford Barner that knows well what he's talking about.

Coop

Well spoken of a great knowledgeable man. Thanks Coop.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:

Coop

Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #19
Ol' Ron

Sounds quite expensive fpr a street engine. However the 296 was a very common displacement back in the day, I have one as a spare. For street the cam is a little much. The late T-5 has an inexpensive adapter , so this will keep the cost down.After yoi blow the rear, replace it with a ford 8", with 3.73 gears and a posi.
Good luck
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #20
theriddler56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
More stroke More poke. Yes it’s well worth it. That cam may be a turd in a small engine I’m guessing it’s a single plane cam.
Tony,
What cam would you recommend? You stated I would be unhappy with this one.

Stephen