Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
nhusa

Default I'm looking for some insight !

I realize that this is weird question. I’m getting old and trying to figure out what antique cars I should keep. My kids are not in a position to take them.

1. We have a 1919 Model T with a Mifflinburg body that my dad and I restored in the mid-50s. It has the original motor and only a small piece of wood had been replaced. We have its full history including the original registration. I took it football games with the cheerleaders when I was in high school. In 1964 dad got sick and it went into storage until 2010 when it was transferred to my garage, cleaned up, and used for parades, car chows, and general fun.

2. The second vehicle is a 1931 Model A Town Sedan that my dad used for work in the late 50’s and early 60’s. We are pretty sure that dad was the second owner. I drove it high school when my car was broken. It also went into storage in 64 when dad got sick and was transferred to me when my mom died in 2016. It is completely original (interior and body) with some surface rust but no rust thru. The motor had been changed before we got it and put another rebuilt motor in it because it was locked up solid – most likely due to a head gasket issue. We know that it the body was made in April-May of 31 because of the firewall and pocket on the back of the front seat.

The cars are currently near Raleigh NC and we have NH titles. I am thinking about selling one of the cars and leaning toward the A. Can any of you tell me about your experience or the experience of someone you know that has gone thru something like this?
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
burner31

Default Re: I'm looking for some insight !

I volunteered to get a 1917 Model T running for our local "City" museum (which I did get running/driving) It was donated in the early 80's but was never running and was stored in a back building for 40 years, it now sits in the main building of the new museum for all to enjoy.
So that is always an option, you could donate it to a local museum for display (you retain ownership), that way it will stay in the Family, but be taken care of and put on display for others to enjoy.
Might even be a tax write-off in there somewhere.
Just an idea

I also have a '31Town Sedan...very desirable Model A body style
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
nkaminar

None of my 4 kids have a strong desire to own my Model A and I don't trust the grandkids. So, in my legal will, the car is to be sold on my death and the proceeds divided among the kids. Any of the kids has the option to buy the car with 3/4 of the selling price going to the 3 other kids. The 1/4 price that would normally go to the kid who is the buyer would be excused as part of their inheritance.

My advice to nhusa is to keep both cars and set up some mechanism to dispose of them upon your death. They have much more sentimental value than monetary value. If you get too old to drive them, put them up on blocks and occasionally start them to keep them from deteriorating as much as possible. Hire someone if necessary. The kid's positions may change as they get older.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
WHN

I just went through your problem.

I sold the cars, gave the money to my grandkids.

Best thing I could have done. Now I only have to worry about my collection of Lionel Trains.

Enjoy.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:23 PM   #5
w.michael

If you are financially able to do so without harm to your family, bequeath your antique cars to a younger member of your car club who will appreciate and care for them.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
goodcar

You say the cars have NH titles. Is that a misprint, maybe should have been NC titles?? Whatever, I would get the titles in your name if not already. This will make for less trouble when you get rid of them. One of the first things you'll be asked is if you have clear titles.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #7
alexiskai

My personal opinion, since the T is the one you have a greater personal history with, I'd keep the T and sell the A. I looked at your album and that interior looks great for an original. If the engine can be refurbished, I think you could sell it for a pretty penny to someone who wants that totally original vibe.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4023
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
J Franklin

Keep the one you will use and enjoy the most, sell the other and take a nice vacation somewhere you haven't been in the past. Enjoy the remainder of your life!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:21 AM   #9
ronn

we all have different ideas and motivations

I would keep both if you can...........

I personally like seeing them go into the hands of someone younger who would eventually enjoy them, if $ is not an obstacle

I also like burners idea of putting on display.

my kids have no interest in my cars and that is fine as well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:19 AM   #10
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
You say the cars have NH titles. Is that a misprint, maybe should have been NC titles?? Whatever, I would get the titles in your name if not already. This will make for less trouble when you get rid of them. One of the first things you'll be asked is if you have clear titles.
NH titles in my name is correct.
We moved to North Carolina a year ago and brought the two cars to Raleigh about 6 months ago. We will register and title them in NC after we build our new home in Person County.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #11
alexiskai

Person County's not too far from me, let me know if you need a hand with anything.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #12
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
My personal opinion, since the T is the one you have a greater personal history with, I'd keep the T and sell the A. I looked at your album and that interior looks great for an original. If the engine can be refurbished, I think you could sell it for a pretty penny to someone who wants that totally original vibe.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4023
The original T motor is currently out of the car because I didn’t want to hurt it in any way. It has never been rebuilt, runs on the mag, has no starter, two piece valves, and burns a little oil. The only thing we did to it was replace the head gasket in the 50s, the bands in the early 60s, and the spark plugs when I got it in 2010.

The T currently has a rebuilt 23 motor in it with wood bands, a starter, etc
The A motor was toast and not salvageable so it has a rebuilt 30 motor.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #13
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Person County's not too far from me, let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Likewise… I have a car hauler if needed.

The A on the trailer leaving NH. Cardboard on the window (with shrink wrap) and grill to protect it from debris during the trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6206160-3946-4540-A353-34E5FFF86554.jpg (62.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
1928Mik

Luckily my son is interested in my A so I did a TOD (Transfer on Death) title on that car to make it easy for him. My other car I'm not sure about yet. When my 442 went to a restoration shop I met a fellow owner who had several old cars from A's to T-birds and he was 81 years old. He was still tinkering with them but said his family is not interested so he is going to eventually going to have to liquidate. He was still going to keep one or two around to the end and then let the family deal with it.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #15
Chris in WNC

one thing I'd do is re-stamp the Town Sedan motor to match the title.
you can still disclose that it has been replaced but it's better to have the correct number there....