Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Sport Coupe Top Installation

I’ll be ready to install a new top on my ‘29 Sport Coupe in the next couple of months. Does anyone know of a good write-up or video showing how to do this ?

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
History

Default Re: Sport Coupe Top Installation

I’ve found a few snippets of video but nothing that goes into detail. Surely there’s a video of this being done properly. I hope to install one myself in the next year or so. You could contact classtigue upholstery and see if they have or know of any resources with the info. Good luck and post some photos of your adventures.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
jack backer
BANNED

MAFCA “How to restore your model A” volume 9…the sport coupe top is one of the most difficult to install but with the above reference and the instructions it comes with an amateur upholsterer like myself did ok. I did two things that turned out good..I used tacks instead of staples and filled the gaps in the padding with oil pad pieces, but you can use anything. The one mistake I made was pulling the top and liner so tight it crushed the cardboard top curves down a bit in the middle.. follow the tack line instructions to the letter.

In the end it was one of the most rewarding jobs I did on the car.. upholstery is forgiving provided you get your cuts right, anything else can be redone till you feel it’s right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 409FBC6C-8114-42C3-B856-CA37BBCE75D0.jpg (41.3 KB, 35 views)
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I think you meant volume 5. It has a lot of information but not really a how to. Most kit makers have instructions. A person can contact them for a copy. B.Terry has a Sport coupe series of restoration photos on his site. There are also some photos on this site if you can find them. Using tacks as original is a good idea. You never have to worry about running into a staple when over tacking with hidum welt.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
w.michael

There is an excellent article by Mary Moline which was published in The Restorer. It is reprinted in "How to Restore Your Model A," Volume 5. This article gives detailed, step-by-step instructions for installing the top, and the correct order in which to complete each step. This book is available from both Snyders and Brattons, and probably from other suppliers. You need it if you are going to install a top yourself.

The only variation I have noted is that the article states all landau irons are painted black, while the RGJS say they are painted body color.

​​​​​​​W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #6
30Murray

I'm installing a Classtique kit right now. The instructions are quite detailed and the volume 5 noted above is a must have too. You have to install the upper interior kit first. Be prepared to do some trimming and adjustments to the pre-covered panels. It's not really that difficult. just time consuming and kind of scary when it comes to making some final cuts, hoping you don't screw it up. They have a good on-line video showing how to install the rear window.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #7
ABento

I had bought a top from Mike at Classtique also, the directions are pretty straight forward, BUT I didn't want to do it i had my upholstry shop do it, he did a nice job, the only glitch I had with ti was the buttons that hold the rear window up, they don't the window promptly fell down, the repop top push button pins won't hold the window, I found some new old stock pins that used a 10:32 screw to hold them in place in the top ribbins. Follow the directions as they are and you could do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1311.jpg (78.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1303.jpg (105.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by ABento; 09-04-2022 at 11:53 PM.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #8
Conaway2

Thanks everyone for your responses ! I appreciate the advice on the book and using tacks and lots of patience. I just ordered the book and plan to study it thoroughly. I’ll post pics once I start the installation.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABento View Post
I had bought a top from Mike at Classtique also, the directions are pretty straight forward, BUT I didn't want to do it i had my upholstry shop do it, he did a nice job, the only glitch I had with ti was the buttons that hold the rear window up, they don't the window promptly fell down, the repop top push button pins won't hold the window, I found some new old stock pins that used a 10:32 screw to hold them in place in the top ribbins. Follow the directions as they are and you could do it.
Your top looks Great!

I would also recommend a good car top shop do the work. You will be happier in the long run.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote