Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
2935ford

Default Re: Rocky Mountain High Road Trip

Old Henry....I don't know to many folks that have as mich fun as you do on your great trips!

Thanks for sharing!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Old Henry....I don't know too many folks that have as much fun as you do on your great trips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige386 View Post
I would just love to be able to take a road trip like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
I really envy you. . . . Very lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom/illinois View Post
I have a '47 tudor can only dream of a trip like that.
Just posted the following on another thread in response to the same sentiments:

I think one of the very sad misconceptions that too many have about our old Fords is that they have somehow become fragile, weak, and brittle in their old age and could not possibly withstand the rigors of the highway like modern cars do. I must admit I had some of those feelings initially when I first restored Old Henry after he had slept for 31 years (like Rip Van Winkle). But, I soon came to realize that he was the same old beater car I drove in high school, including a lot of off road, and was still just as sturdy and could still be driven cross country just like his kind were driven cross country on Route 66 and many other cross country routes so many years ago. Sure, things break, probably more than modern cars. (My owner's manual grants only a 90 day warranty on the '47.) But, that's part of the fun if you like a challenge, which I guess I do - to be dead on the side of the road far from any garage or anyone that knows anything about your car and have to sit there and figure out what is wrong and how to fix it with just what tools and parts are in the trunk to get it back on the road. Calling AAA is an absolute last resort (although I've done it once but felt a total failure for having had to do so). It has often reminded me of Apollo 13 when they had a malfunciton out in space and had to figure out how to "Jury Rig" to fix the problem with just what they had on board. They couldn't "send out for parts." They just had to do it and they did. Times haven't changed much.

So, take the cold plunge guys. Load the trunk with your tools and whatever spare parts you have and go have some fun - "on the road again" (my theme song on many a road trip).

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Seth Swoboda

Old Henry as many of the other guys have said, beautiful pictures and your sense for adventure is admirable. I wish we had such scenic places like you vist closer to me. What you have said about taking pride in fixing a roadside breakdown is an excellent point. Anyone can load up in a brand new car and drive across the country. We shouldn't get worried about taking long road trips in our early fords. We should take pride in driving them and in our abilities to deal with challenges and make repairs on the go. Keep drivng your early fords and enjoy more road trips like Old Henry does.

ps Tom/Illinois is my dad & Toby Lampert is one of the nicest guys I have met on the fordbarn. There are several nice guys here and I appreciate the help they have given me, but we should all try and be as nice as Toby.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #24
39wdy

Old Henry must be the most admired early V8 on the Ford Barn as it really gets to witness some absolutely gorgeous parts of our country. Prof. you have given many of us a very positive goal for our own V8 experiences. I'm so sorry you had inclement weather on your foliage trip to Vermont, we do get rain here (last year's hurricane Irene was certainly a reminder as we will be dealing with the aftermath for many years into the future), but generally as only an occasional, necessary, and delightful occurrence. We are experiencing more heat, much more violent storms, and general unpredictability of our weather than ever historically recorded. However, we feel that we indeed live in paradise, so come back. Thanks to all for the kind expressions. Best wishes, Toby Lampert
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
cuddles1

Absoltuely stunning photos, beautiful; I just listed my place for sale!!!!!!
cuddles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
where was Pepe? lol I missed him.
This is the best close up of Pepe riding behind my neck on the back of the seat as he liked to do at times. Not a great shot but such as it is.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
Mike in AZ

great pictures....just did the Rocky Mountain high road last weekend....beautiful....and all the elk in Estes Park....lol....i think i see Pepe at the middle waterfall??....lol...thanks for sharing....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige386 View Post
The wife and I are going to be taking a road trip in the 46 next month weather permitting.
Before you let weather decide whether or not to give you permission to go check out this past thread of Fords ignoring the weather and going anyway. It's pretty "cool." :
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54060
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Prof. Thanks for taking us along on your journey, Great photos.
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Really enjoyed your thread. Haven't been able to take a road trip of late. It's awesome to see someone that really drives/enjoys his car nowadays. Especially outside the realm of cruze in/car shows. Nothin wrong with those, but real trips, real destinations, real memories...... Real Fun.
BONNEVILLE BOB 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
George49Ford

Old Henry - Love your photos, stories and your car! Does your '47 have an overdrive? If not, how is the performance and mileage on long trips? My '49 was not very suitable for freeway driving with original 3 speed w/o OD. George Milliorn
George49Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by George49Ford View Post
Old Henry - Love your photos, stories and your car! Does your '47 have an overdrive? If not, how is the performance and mileage on long trips? My '49 was not very suitable for freeway driving with original 3 speed w/o OD. George Milliorn
Sorry for the delayed response. Somehow I missed your post.

No overdrive. No tachometer. So, I don't know what the RPM's were at cruising speeds. Generally drove between 50 and 55 in 55 mph speed limits and 60-65 in 65 mph speed limits. Anything over that was freeway and I stayed under 65 in the slow lane. Did just fine. Inasmuch as the highest speed limits in 1947 were 60 mph I have assumed that Mr. Ford designed my car to travel that speed for long stretches without problems or overreving and, indeed, that is my experience. Engine doesn't seem stressed at all at those speeds. Would probably need overdrive to keep up with most freeway traffic but have no interest in that. As stated in "CARS," I don't drive my vintage car to make good time, I drive my car to have a good time and have a much better time at slower speeds than at faster ones.

As reported at the end of my original report, overall average gas mileage was 11.62 mpg.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #33
41Fordor

I took mine to Denver in September for a show. Traffic here on 1-25 and I-80 runs 70-80 even in the slow lane. C-470 around Denver is 75 mph also, but the tolls are so high hardly anyone uses it. I try to take back roads and it's more enjoyable that way. I'm not sure what my rear end gears are, or RPM, but it cruises nicely at 60 mph without even keeping my foot down. My mom hadn't seen the car since I dragged it out of Dad's barn 5 years ago and she got a kick out of it.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #34
66f100

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures!
66f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:13 AM   #35
petehoovie

WOW! Old Henry posted this story and pictures back in 2012 (09/23/2012). Too bad Old Henry (Craig) no longer posts on this forum. He's been gone from here for several years now....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #36
Bored&Stroked

I so enjoyed his posts . . . some of the best to vicariously live through another man's quests. Anybody happen to know what happened to him?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #37
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I so enjoyed his posts . . . some of the best to vicariously live through another man's quests. Anybody happen to know what happened to him?

I believe the "Professor" moved on to large scale remote control airplanes and his old Ford exploits took a back seat. Hopefully he still is still driving his Ford.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #38
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
According to his profile, he checked in on us last night at 8:04 pm. I also miss reading about his adventures.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #39
Rand

I miss reading about old Henry's adventures as well. Almost met up with him back when he used to post when I was passing through his town. Would of been fun!
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #40
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

It was very nice seeing you and the little dog. The pictures are great. You have the right idea enjoying your little Ford. I will watch this post several times and enjoy it every time. All my Junkers do is sit around here and collect dust. God Bless You.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote