Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
S.Duncan

Default Correct fan for 34?

I'm putting my 34 coupe together with 59a block,PM-7 and a 39 fan-mount generator.I have a Walker rad from Speedway and am wondering what is the proper depth fan/spacer for a stock setup.
S.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
bluardun

Default Re: Correct fan for 34?

Use a stock 4 blade 33/4 fan. The space between the fan and the flange that bolts to the generator is about 1 inch. The 35 and up is about 2 inches, which gets too close to the radiator.
As you know: you will have to re-route the upper rad hoses to accomade the 59A heads.
This set up is simple and works and looks best.
have fun
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluardun View Post
Use a stock 4 blade 33/4 fan. The space between the fan and the flange that bolts to the generator is about 1 inch. The 35 and up is about 2 inches, which gets too close to the radiator.
As you know: you will have to re-route the upper rad hoses to accomade the 59A heads.
This set up is simple and works and looks best.
have fun
I am not smart enough to dispute what you say but I always thought the '32 was 4 1/2", the '33-'36 was 3" and the '37-'39 (for the models where they used the fan on the generator) was 1 5/8". Dimensions are taken by laying the fan on a flat surface and measuring up to the surface where the fan bolts to the generator.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Richard (EV8G)

As posted above, the "hub" on the fan is about 1" wide for 33-36. That is about all there is room for on a 33-34 at least...

After you obtain the proper fan/hub, the next fun comes when you realize that the reproduction radiator (probably) does not have the "well" in the bottom rearward of the upper tank that is required for fan clearance, since the fan has to be up high enough for the blades to clear the distributor and coil which are directly below it. Depending on the intake manifold generator mount height (low vs high) there may be other problems??? Like alot of other things, I did learn all this the "hard way."
Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Another bit of trivia. The '37 and up (for a couple of years) intake manifold places the generator lower than the earlier ones.

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
S.Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard (EV8G) View Post
As posted above, the "hub" on the fan is about 1" wide for 33-36. That is about all there is room for on a 33-34 at least...

After you obtain the proper fan/hub, the next fun comes when you realize that the reproduction radiator (probably) does not have the "well" in the bottom rearward of the upper tank that is required for fan clearance, since the fan has to be up high enough for the blades to clear the distributor and coil which are directly below it. Depending on the intake manifold generator mount height (low vs high) there may be other problems??? Like alot of other things, I did learn all this the "hard way."
Well Richard it does look like I'm in the same boat with fan to rad tank clearance;any suggestions other than going back to a stock rad?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Duncan View Post
Well Richard it does look like I'm in the same boat with fan to rad tank clearance;any suggestions other than going back to a stock rad?
Are you using the '37 type intake manifold?

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
NealinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Duncan View Post
Trim your fan.

The 59A in my 32 pickup is mounted slightly higher than stock, so I had to trim the blades of my stock 32 fan. I just cut a pattern to match the profile of the stock blade, then slid it down on the blade, marked and cut, and carefully ground to the scribed line. You can't tell it has been trimmed, unless you measure it.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
S.Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Are you using the '37 type intake manifold?

Charlie Stephens
No I'm using a thickstun pm-7.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
bluardun

This will hurt.
#1 Do you still have an origional Radiator?
If so: Have it recored with a modern core.
#2 Can you get an upper tank from an orgional Rad?
Have the "bubble" cut-into the Walker rad.

Should you decide to modify the new Walker Rad. Check the angle of the top and bottom water outlets. Sometimes they need to be moved a little to line up with your engine outlets.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
fordson

Same situation here, 59 AB, Thickstun intake PM7 in a 34 coupe with alternatively 59AB generator or stock 34 generator available.
I wanted to install a 1940 Ford 6 blade heavy duty fan with a 1940 single groove crankshaft pulley in my 34 coupe, but reading this thread i would like to know if i will have a clearance problem with fan to rad ?.

Q1: Can anyone who is familiar with this problem recommend a solution using the parts mentioned above?

Q2: I have seen on pictures that some people are running the fan/pulley unit on their 59AB below the generator. I could use the 59AB stock generator and no worries about clearnace fan/radiator if somehow mounted below! How does that work?
Regards Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
2ndgeer

Here's an eye-opening post on the Clubhotrod site. You'll see that the owner of the '34 Ford ordered a radiator and electric fan from Brassworks only to find out there isn't enough room to remove the distributor cap on the 59A engine with the shroud. I learned a lot by following the thread...especially about having to mount the fan to the generator and eliminate the front pulley on the crankshaft. Check it out.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-bu...e-hot-rod.html
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
ken ct
BANNED

Aint it nice when some one changes everything under the hood and wonders why his fan dont fit anymore.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

As always Ken, very informative information. DD
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote