Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Unbelievably easy transmission fix...

Had my stock '41 for a year. Assumed it had an unsynchronized transmission because I had to do speed matching every time I changed gears. Found out on this forum that a '41 is supposed to have a synchronized transmission and that I shouldn't have to double-clutch or speed match every time I shifted. Had been considering a T5 conversion just because it was such a pill to drive. Dialed back my ambitions and thought it would just be easier to rebuild the original 3-speed.

Wondered a few times if the problem might be caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. Had lots of manual transmission cars through the years and adjusted lots of clutches and never heard of or experienced that problem. Lots of slipping clutches yes, but not clutches that didn't fully disengage. Checked the shop manual and found a spec for free clutch travel. Had about a half inch more than the 1-1.25" specified. Turned out the clevis on the clutch rod either 1/2 or one turn, lost count, to get the free travel in spec.

UNBELIEVABLE! It's a different car! shifts like butter every time! No more double-clutching every time I go around a corner. It's SOOO much more fun to drive.

I know that a T5 conversion adds a lot to the car but I've permanently canceled that project for myself.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Unbelievably easy transmission fix...

Glad you’re happy with it now! Being in San Diego, you have a great V8 Club there, lots of local talent and friends to exchange info and solve problems with. Lots of guys say they aren’t joiners, but nothing lost to just go to a club meeting once in a while to see what you might gain from becoming a member. You could have had that problem solved long ago!
Old 11-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
AKCJ

I had a similar experience with my 37 coupe. It’s like driving a different car.
It was one item among many that shows that the previous owner didn’t understand much about cars.
AKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #4
SoCalCoupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Glad you’re happy with it now! Being in San Diego, you have a great V8 Club there, lots of local talent and friends to exchange info and solve problems with. Lots of guys say they aren’t joiners, but nothing lost to just go to a club meeting once in a while to see what you might gain from becoming a member. You could have had that problem solved long ago!
You're right about the San Diego EFV8 club. I'm an active member; great, knowledgeable, fun people! The only reason they didn't solve this problem is that I didn't speak up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCJ View Post
I had a similar experience with my 37 coupe. It’s like driving a different car. It was one item among many that shows that the previous owner didn’t understand much about cars.
Couldn't say it better. It is a different car. Whoever adjusted that clutch last either didn't care or didn't know what they were doing.

With multiple Google searches I've figured out that it's passed around through multiple auctions over the past 10 years; every new owner trying to make a buck off the fact that it's a rare car. Probably none of them were interested in actually driving it like I am. It's rare because it's a Ford Special and very few were made. However, rare doesn't mean valuable. At auction, people don't seem interested in paying more for it than any other '41 Ford Coupe. Works out fine for me; I may never sell it.

The odometer shows only 5200 miles. The car looks like it hasn't had much use at all. The interior has been redone and it's been repainted and possibly other minor restoration but still looks like it could be mostly original.

One theory I have is that as a '41 model it was bought by someone who went off to WWII and never came back. Could have been stored in a barn for decades and possibly 5200 is the actual mileage. On the other hand, without more facts, I'd never claim that to be true. The fewer facts you have, the more theories are possible.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote