Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
JayJay

Default Holey firewall, Batman!

The firewall on my '30 Town Sedan has acquired several extra holes over the years. I'm prepared to weld in some patches, but I thought I'd check with the braintrust to verify that what I believe are "extra" are really that. Please see the attached pictures, I believe #1-6 are non-standard and need to be filled.

There's also an extra hole in the dash panel that needs to be filled. Someone in the past really enjoyed drilling!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

JayJay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3622.jpg (43.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3623.jpg (35.9 KB, 132 views)

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Holey firewall, Batman!

All look like extras to me, just don't forget the vacuum hole but I think that is up by the tag.

Mike
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
w.michael

I think #6 is the speedometer cable, but I'm not with my car, so I can't check. Don't weld it up yet!

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

#6 is for the speedo cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
There's also an extra hole in the dash panel that needs to be filled.
Where is the extra hole in the dash panel (Dash rail?)? The reason I ask is my Town Sedan has a hole in the dash rail on the right side and I have seen several others with a hole in the same location. I have never been able to find out why it is there and if it was original (I doubt it)...

Sorry not the best picture but the hole is in the red circle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole.jpg (19.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpeg Hole.jpeg (88.5 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-10-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
JayJay

Good catch, w.michael and Y-B, I think you are correct about #6 being for the speedo cable. It's been a while since I took it apart and I forgot that. This is why I checked with you all! That would have been very embarrassing if I welded it up and then went to reassemble and couldn't figure out where the speedo cable goes...

Y-B: the hole is in the right side of the rail, close to the farthest right screw. Look at #8 in this post to see a picture. Looks like it's pretty similar to the one you have.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 10-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

#3 is for the speedometer cable clamp that is mounted on the inside of the firewall. That hole should be threaded, but appears to have been drilled out for some unknown reason. You 'll need to weld it shut and then drill and tap it for the slothead bolt that secures the clamp to the firewall.
The hole in the dash rail was probably drilled there for a cigarette lighter, although these were usually mounted closer to the driver's side.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #7
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
#3 is for the speedometer cable clamp that is mounted on the inside of the firewall. That hole should be threaded, but appears to have been drilled out for some unknown reason. You 'll need to weld it shut and then drill and tap it for the slothead bolt that secures the clamp to the firewall.
The hole in the dash rail was probably drilled there for a cigarette lighter, although these were usually mounted closer to the driver's side.
Marshall
Marshall - I believe the one for the inside speedo cable clamp is located more inboard, underneath the terminal box. It's not shown in the photos - I remember taking that clamp off when I disassembled the instrument panel. It has a threaded "D" nut on it. I'll see if I can get another photo today showing that to confirm with y'all. Thanks.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 10-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Good catch, w.michael and Y-B, I think you are correct about #6 being for the speedo cable. It's been a while since I took it apart and I forgot that. This is why I checked with you all! That would have been very embarrassing if I welded it up and then went to reassemble and couldn't figure out where the speedo cable goes...

Y-B: the hole is in the right side of the rail, close to the farthest right screw. Look at #8 in this post to see a picture. Looks like it's pretty similar to the one you have.

JayJay
JayJay, yeah I see I posted right below you in that post, #9. As I said, I have seen several with a hole in this position?? Oh well, gives me a place to route the vacuum line for my "Air Conditioner".

The one Marshal is referring to is directly above the exhaust manifold and does have a d-nut on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air.jpg (29.5 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-10-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #9
rotorwrench

It looks like a coolant heater was installed at some time. Most of the holes I find are for the exhaust manifold type heaters. The usually have one large hole for the carri through and multiple small holes to hold it on.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #10
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It looks like a coolant heater was installed at some time. Most of the holes I find are for the exhaust manifold type heaters. The usually have one large hole for the carri through and multiple small holes to hold it on.
Well, the car did come from Wisconsin, so I suppose a coolant heater isn't out of the question. But the coolant heater installations I've seen (including the one in my '31) have had those pass-throughs on the driver side, to access the coolant return gooseneck on the left side of the engine.

In any event, here are updated labels. I'm going to go with filling holes #1-5. Thanks all for your input.

JayJay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3624.jpg (48.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3625.jpg (36.6 KB, 22 views)

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 10-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

Jay-Jay is correct about #3. I was too far to the left - which no one has EVER accused me of being before!
Marshall
Old 10-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
Jay-Jay is correct about #3. I was too far to the left - which no one has EVER accused me of being before!
Marshall
Well, from the driver's (inside) perspective, you were too far to the right! My bride accuses me of that too.

But thanks for your input, all of this helped me rethink everything and assure myself I was doing the correct thing.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 10-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

We were all likely basing our input on the photos you posted, which show the firewall facing the viewer. Hence my "left" orientation. No matter, though. You've gotten the holes identified that can stay and those that should be closed up. You'll need to cut sheet metal circles to plug those larger presumably heater hose holes, followed by welding into place. The small holes could possibly be filled by welding or brazing them shut and then grinding them smooth. If you do weld, be sure the gas tank is isolated by a sheet metal panel or some kind of heat sink so that the tank doesn't get hot - with unfortunate results.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 10-11-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #14
JayJay

Quote:
We were all likely basing our input on the photos you posted, which show the firewall facing the viewer. Hence my "left" orientation. No matter, though. You've gotten the holes identified that can stay and those that should be closed up. You'll need to cut sheet metal circles to plug those larger presumably heater hose holes, followed by welding into place. The small holes could possibly be filled by welding or brazing them shut and then grinding them smooth. If you do weld, be sure the gas tank is isolated by a sheet metal panel or some kind of heat sink so that the tank doesn't get hot - with unfortunate results.
Marshall
I was pulling your leg, Marshall.

I plan to remove the gas tank before doing the welding. I need to pull it out to clean up the inside anyhow.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 10-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #15
nkaminar

Don't drill any extra holes in the gas tank.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #16
redmodelt

Saw one posted here years ago, it had a bazillion holes drilled on the drivers side so they could mount a speaker on the engine side. LOL
Old 10-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #17
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Saw one posted here years ago, it had a bazillion holes drilled on the drivers side so they could mount a speaker on the engine side. LOL

Amazing! I have a roadster that has the same problem- maybe 80 holes drilled in a grid pattern above the steering column. For years I thought that the prior owner wanted to get more engine heat into the cab. I finally started to re-restore it this spring, and when I took the kick panels off I saw two holes that had been drilled that looked like they may have been used to mount an aerial on the side of the cowl panel. Then when I took a close look at the seat riser, I saw holes that may have been used to mount a radio under the seat. It was then that I realized that the 80 holes in the firewall were a speaker grill! I have maybe 20 other extra holes that have been drilled in over the years- too many and too big to fill. I bought a good used firewall at Hershey a few years ago. I drilled out the rivets and spot welds and am in the process of installing the new firewall.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote