Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
Ricosan

Default Jumps out of 2nd gear

I just bought a newly restored woody. The seller says the transmission has been newly rebuilt. Odometer reads 12 miles.
Problem is that it jumps out of 2nd gear upon acceleration. I can hold in but it takes considerable effort.
A friend of mine says he believes that upgraded gears were used in the build but the original top cap was installed. He says that by taking the top cap off so that we can see inside he can tell me what year top cap i will need.
Does this make sense?
Richard Duvall
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Veeder

Default Re: Jumps out of 2nd gear

Don’t drive it anymore until you know what’s going on. Every time it slides out of gear you are damaging things
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #3
Zeke3

I have not heard of the transmission jumping out of gear on acceleration before.
Yes, it does make sense that removing the top cover you should be able to identify which synchro and front fork are installed in the transmission. Take pictures and post them here if you need assistance with identification.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

cluster gear with too much for/aft play will do this, also the shift fork may be the culprit, you do not say what year, but if it is before 39 and the syncronizer was 39 up and the wrong shift fork was used can also cause this
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
The seller says the transmission has been newly rebuilt... Problem is that it jumps out of 2nd gear upon acceleration. Does this make sense? Richard Duvall
I like Zeke's comments.

Nope. Jumping out of second gear happens on deceleration in my experience.

And it indicates a close inspection of tranny tolerances was in order.

Having the top off would allow some of those inspections.

Could be a few scenarios at play.

Driving it more is not going to give a good outcome either, so Veeder's advice is spot on.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
aussie merc

oh boy box out lid off and take a look rebuilt box ??? somethings not right box may be rebuilt but they just slapped the old top back on !seen it before ! week or worn detents
and shift rails wont help ME i would see if you can get the lid off without pulling the box could be reasonably easy to fix quite often the lid gets pulled off sat in the corner and put back on people forget that its so much more than a oil retainer
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
cas3

Not running, shift into second gear, and take the cover off to see how far syncro sleeve is engaging the teeth on second gear. It should cover them completely.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #8
HDowse

Check out Van Pelt Sales and purchase Mac's book on restoring these transmissions. The section on the gearshift top may be a big help. If your 2nd/high gear shifter fork is badly worn and the detent balls need replacing, Mac has all that in stock. I replaced those items and much more in my recent rebuild. Let us know what you find out.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #9
Ricosan

Thanks guys. Will do. Hopefully i will get it off this afternoon and get some photos.
Richard
Old 02-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
Mart

I was told by Bruce Lancaster (sorely missed ) that the throws on the later and earlier shift towers are different. Also if you use later gears with the improved synchro, while it is possible to hog out the 2/3 fork to go around the sleeve, the offset is wrong so it will not engage the gears correctly. It will over engage one and under engage the other. Don't know which way around though.

So take the top off and take some pictures of the gears, the shift tower and the forks.
Once we have seen those we might be able to make a judgement on what is going on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I was told by Bruce Lancaster (sorely missed ) that the throws on the later and earlier shift towers are different. Also if you use later gears with the improved synchro, while it is possible to hog out the 2/3 fork to go around the sleeve, the offset is wrong so it will not engage the gears correctly. It will over engage one and under engage the other. Don't know which way around though.

So take the top off and take some pictures of the gears, the shift tower and the forks.
Once we have seen those we might be able to make a judgement on what is going on.

Mart.
I came to post the same. I'm pretty sure an early top will not just plop on to an later gear set. You'd have to substantially bend/rework the forks in order to get it to work.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 AM   #12
joe 1950

This was a common problem back in the day when these cars were used for stock cars they would take a strap or wire and put it on the dashboard so the driver could slide it over the shifter rod to hold it in second gear because that’s all they usually used was second gear work with Van Pelt he’s the master on these good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 1950 View Post
This was a common problem back in the day when these cars were used for stock cars they would take a strap or wire and put it on the dashboard so the driver could slide it over the shifter rod to hold it in second gear because that’s all they usually used was second gear work with Van Pelt he’s the master on these good luck
Joe,

Very common to jump out of 2nd gear while de-accelerating, which is why dirt tracking did as when went into the corner.

This is the first I've heard of it jumping out while accelerating.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #14
danliveshere

From memory I was speaking to someone years ago who had bought a car with this problem and it turned out the 2nd gear fork was not engaging the gear all the way into the correct position but I can’t remember what he did to correct the issue
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:21 AM   #15
Ricosan

I’ve taken the top cover off of the transmission and have some good photographs but I can’t upload them because the file is so big. I will reduce them this afternoon and try posting again.
Richard
Old 02-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #16
Juergen

You haven't mentioned the type of trans. Is it an early style with a synchro that looks like a donut with the slot in the center or a later style with a synchro looking like a hockey puck with a slot in the rear?

I once looked at a "rebuilt" later style trans that jumped out on acceleration. The rebuilder forgot to install the 7069 spacer.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Mart.
Mart, this is my thinking as well. If the transmission was converted to the later '39-'48 gears, and the earlier shifter top was used by widening the 2/3 shift fork, it will not fully engage the gears, causing the problem the op is experiencing.

PS....I also dearly miss Bruce Lancaster. He was so knowledgeable on these early Ford's.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-08-2022 at 01:08 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #18
Ricosan

Here are a few photos of the shifting fork and the inside of the transmission. I think I may see the problem.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

That is a '35 or earlier gear set based on the straight cut first/reverse gears and the second/third shift collar. I'd need to see a side profile picture of the shifter top to see which year that may be, but I believe it's the slant back shifter tower used on '35 and earlier transmissions. The shift forks look correct to me for that gear set, but I can't see if they are worn or possibly bent. It's also possible that the shifter top was not installed correctly, and forks may not have been in their correct location relative to the slots on second/third collar and first/reverse sliding gear.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-08-2022 at 05:50 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #20
Zeke3

The gap looks too large between 2nd gear and the synchronizer. I have been looking at Mac's book and can't figure out what may be causing the issue. It looks to me to be the angle back shift cover, 40-7222, and the early synchronizer, so those should be compatible. I don't know how it could have been put together with that large of a gap and not be bound up tight.

I think it is going to have to come out for disassembly to resolve. Let's see what Mac says.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote