Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2022, 02:56 AM   #21
JayChicago

Default Re: 41 ford car stock gas tank sending unit - recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercats View Post
@JayChicago: Out of curiosity, did you place the 7 Ohm resistor in series with the gauge or in parallel? My gut instinct suggests placing it in series. Thanks!
Yes. In series. Put it right ahead of the sender; easier access than working on the back of instrument panel.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #22
outsider347

What deuce_ roadster said. Worked for me
outsider347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #23
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeder View Post
Messed with a variety of resistor configurations today it appears that a resistor in series of a value between 2.2 --2.5 ohms does the trick. I do think that each car will end up being slightly different. I'LL do a bit more testing within the next couple of weeks to confirm. However for my car it's looking like 2.3 ohms in series does the trick.
Veeder: Glad that 2.3 Ohm resistor "did the trick". Please keep a written record of the accuracy of your gauge when needle is at 1/4. 1/2, 3/4 and report back. Your research into this is appreciated.

It's a tedious process but here is how I checked the accuracy of my 1940 Ford gauge. it's the same sending unit and gauge mechanism used in the 1941 Ford. Could you try this with your 2.3 Ohm set up?

I first drained the tank. Then I refilled the tank 1 gal. at a time and recorded the gauge reading with the engine OFF and then again with the engine running to see if the reading were the same as if you were driving on the road. I then added a second gallon and did the same. Then I added a 3rd gallon and repeated the process , one gallon at a time, all the way up to 14 gallon tank capacity. I wrote all this data down.

To make it easier I am wondering if I could do the same by first emptying the tank and adding water 1 gallon at a time to get accurate readings without having to deal with 14 gal. of gasolene.

Also, please post the purchase details about the name of the aftermarket gas tank sender you used and where to buy it including the resistor. Thanks. Jim

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-01-2022 at 12:06 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #24
hubercats

@JayChicago: Thank you, and Happy New Year!
hubercats is offline   Reply With Quote