Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: I Want to Buy a Model A

Watch out for the ZIPPO used car merchandisers, that know how to disguise shortcomings in a car!!
Even when you find the "perfect" car, plan on spending some $$$$'s on it. I'd prefer a car that has been driven, often, on a regular basis.
Try to find a LOCAL car, it's EASIER to dig up HISTORY on it. When looking, wear sun glasses, so they can't "read" your eyes & dress like a PO'BOY. First question to ask is, "WHY YOU SELLIN' IT"?--While you STARE into their eyes!!
Bill W.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Do you want a tudor sedan or a roadster? ( or another body style)?

A #1 todor sedan is worth a #3 roadster, etc. for example. The body style you choose will help dictate the price. If money is no object, pick a rare body style and your enjoyment will also be an investment.

I totally agree with the difference in price between a basic Tudor and a Roadster. If you wait til you can afford the Roadster or the Cabriolet you won't be sorry! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
ronn

First question to ask is, "WHY YOU SELLIN' IT"?--While you STARE into their eyes!!

a frightening proposition...........................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would say because i have two twins and only need one..time for a roadster pickup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.2 KB, 80 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

This is my buddy's car, it's nice and solid, doors close good , body wood is fine, not butchered up. Good mechanicals, I have done all the work on it since he purchased it. Drives great and shows it also
A real Canadian car
It may be local to you
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5182156932.html

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-07-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
First question to ask is, "WHY YOU SELLIN' IT"?--While you STARE into their eyes!!

a frightening proposition...........................
Definitely an excellent question. I asked this question before doing a close check out on a beautiful appearing '31 slant window sedan. The owner responded that he was selling it because his wife thought it was not reliable. She was right. He had put all of his money into paint, upholstery and plating (the car looked great). The mechanicals left a lot to be desired.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
sethkestenbaum

You may want to reach out to a few of the more local model a clubs in your area and speak with some of their members or officers. Sadly, many of the clubs are loosing members due to old age. Many of the clubs are THRILLED to help aging members or widowed members to place their loved vehicles in new and energetic hands. I've heard of some great deals found this way (sometimes in exchange for "I'll take you for a ride in the local parade every year" added to the purchase agreement). The clubs seem happy to help and more times than not can give you the background on the car and how it was used/maintained. I did not get my car this way but can assure you it is a great way to go and how I will be approaching my next car.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Jake. I may well post a couple of my A's on Swap meet next week ( 29 Cabriolet and a 29 Roadster pickup ). Not fine point. But very nice! If you are interested send me a pm. Wayne
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #29
mrtexas

"By 60 MPH that means people beat the crap out of the cars and expected 50,000 or more miles out of the engine before major work like pouring bearings. Obviously, a lot of driving was done slower, but people would run over 55 MPH all day long for tens of thousands of miles."

You are kidding? 60mph on dirt roads? They didn't get 50,000 miles out of the engine on dirt roads without an air filter either. What is now I90 in Montana was a dirt two lane road in the 1920/30s.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #30
DJ S

60 MPH on a DIRT ROAD? My cars can't go that fast on a flat paved road!
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #31
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
60 MPH on a DIRT ROAD? My cars can't go that fast on a flat paved road!
I don't know if mine will go that fast but what I do know is that I will never find out. I recently declined to buy another A because the seller was proud of driving 60 mph regularly. Maybe not the best for the car but my cars rarely ever go over 40 and I personally like 37 mph. Wayne
Old 09-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
This is my buddy's car, it's nice and solid, doors close good , body wood is fine, not butchered up. Good mechanicals, I have done all the work on it since he purchased it. Drives great and shows it also A real Canadian car It may be local to you
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5182156932.html
FWIW

It is described as a Murray body.

When Ford built the 31 Slant Window, he had Murray and Briggs build the bodies the same so parts were interchangeable. So all slant windows, Murray and Briggs, have the curved top on the side window openings.

There are some telltale differences such as Briggs used d-nuts on the fire wall and Murray used caged nuts on the firewall. The locations on the firewall are where the speedometer cable clip attaches on the passenger inside, and where the clip for the wire loom from the generator attaches on the driver side near the terminal box.

Also Briggs had a manufactures mark, the Briggs “Bug" on the LH and RH lower cowl between the cowl band and the cowl lacing an inch or two above the splash apron and on some production parts. See the attached photo showing the “Bug’ on the RF cowl.

The 160A. The Ford Standard Fordor Sedan had scrolled door and window handles, painted molding around the windows and painted front dash; the dome light was centered in the car with a switch on the light and a rubber mat in the driver's compartment.

The 160B. The Ford Town Sedan had a pull rope on the back of the front seat, simple non scrolled door and window handles, wood grained molding (with a scalloped lower frame ) wood grained front dash, the dome light was over the back window and was controlled by a sliding switch on the door post, cowl lights and carpet.

The 160C. The Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedan - Same as the 160B but no rear quarter window, referred to as a blind back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 SW Briggs bug.jpg (26.2 KB, 67 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #33
supergnat

If you live in the Philadelphia area stop by at our next club meeting <http://dvmafc.org>. We meet on the first Thursday of the month. Chech the web side for the details. Cars do become available every so often. Good luck.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
FWIW

It is described as a Murray body.

When Ford built the 31 Slant Window, he had Murray and Briggs build the bodies the same so parts were interchangeable. So all slant windows, Murray and Briggs, have the curved top on the side window openings.

There are some telltale differences such as Briggs used d-nuts on the fire wall and Murray used caged nuts on the firewall. The locations on the firewall are where the speedometer cable clip attaches on the passenger inside, and where the clip for the wire loom from the generator attaches on the driver side near the terminal box.

Also Briggs had a manufactures mark, the Briggs “Bug" on the LH and RH lower cowl between the cowl band and the cowl lacing an inch or two above the splash apron and on some production parts. See the attached photo showing the “Bug’ on the RF cowl.

The 160A. The Ford Standard Fordor Sedan had scrolled door and window handles, painted molding around the windows and painted front dash; the dome light was centered in the car with a switch on the light and a rubber mat in the driver's compartment.

The 160B. The Ford Town Sedan had a pull rope on the back of the front seat, simple non scrolled door and window handles, wood grained molding (with a scalloped lower frame ) wood grained front dash, the dome light was over the back window and was controlled by a sliding switch on the door post, cowl lights and carpet.

The 160C. The Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedan - Same as the 160B but no rear quarter window, referred to as a blind back.

Thanks for taking the time to write that very informative post. I will pass on that info to him
Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #35
1wonton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i would say because i have two twins and only need one..time for a roadster pickup

Obviously you've never owned a rodaster pickup; too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, but you'll only know this after you own one.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #36
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
Obviously you've never owned a rodaster pickup; too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, but you'll only know this after you own one.
And to tight to fit in but I want one anyway
Old 09-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #37
monto

All above great advice which will be put to good use as I search for my next one.
Thanks for the question; Thanks for the answers.. Happy Labor Day (what's left of it)
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #38
oldflathead

I've got a real nice restored 1931 slant window town sedan. Give me a call and we can discuss. I can send you pictures.

todd
408-230-5755
oldflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #39
oldflathead

I've got a real nice slant window town sedan. Give me a call.

Todd
408-230-5755
oldflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #40
Steven Ryan

Where are you located? The Lehigh Valley Model A Club is based in the Allentown area. We can help you make the correct decision when your ready to purchase.
Steven Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote