Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Dave Young

Default I'm not a newbie anymore ...

I know this is silly, but I've got tell someone ...

Some background. I live in a 55 plus community that has several roads within the park, but only one entrance and exit. It's a real steep hill that ends at a stop, with an entrance to a highway which itself, is half way up a steep hill.

After buying my model A, I asked myself 'What was I thinking' this is insane. I'll never be able to get the car down the hill without crashing, and even if I don't, I'll never be able to get it onto the the highway and then up the next hill without causing some sort of major pile up.

Well, after spending quite a bit of time driving around inside the park I realized it was time to do it. Enough already, am I a man or a mouse? The wife wanted to come with me, but I figured there's no point in us both getting killed. I just had to do it and see if I was a real model A'er or just a wannabe.

Well, I'm here to report (not to you old timers, but newbie owners like me,
who are a little afraid of their cars) that eureka! ... I did it, and like I said ,
I have to tell somebody. I changed gears, I double clutched, I did all the things I've learned here and on Youtube and it worked. 45 mph on the highway, even managed to downshift to get back up the hill.

I'm declaring that I'm not a newbie anymore. My fear has gone. I control the car instead of it controlling me. I'm sorry if this post is absurd, but you have no idea how proud I feel and I suspect there's a few of you who
recognize this and recall that day, perhaps years ago, that you felt the same way.

Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote