Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #21
chl

Default Re: E-Bay oddity

I was using one click bid. I bid $27. and the bid showed up as $12. strange.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Super88

I usually wait until near the end of the auction to bid, but I think I've actually won more auctions where I put my maximum bid in early because I wasn't going to be able to watch it. A pleasant surprise when you open your e-mail and find out you won.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

wake up out there. Yes decide on your max bid early on.
But don't bid early or else you will just drive up the price!
Wait until the last hr
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mitch,

My 3 sons & daughter tell me that at home, the present rural connection is as good as it can get -- not worried, I very seldom use my home computer -- at the office where I need it, everything is fine -- dual monitors, clouds, the works.

Thanks for your kindness.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-01-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #25
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
I was using one click bid. I bid $27. and the bid showed up as $12. strange.
Same thing happened to me. I bid $8000. The seller lowered his reserve to $7105. Ebay told me it was lowered to a dollar over my $7104 bid.

Something smelled fishy so I just let it go.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
Bruce Adams

I do not know what happened to your bid, but I have used BIDNAPPER for ten years and they SNIPE at the last second, also warn me if others are sniping higher so I can raise my maximum if its my pleasure. It takes a lot of the pressure off bidding and generally I either win or lose to the maximum I originally set while in a relaxed, non-bidding frame of mind.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I do not know what happened to your bid, but I have used BIDNAPPER for ten years and they SNIPE at the last second, also warn me if others are sniping higher so I can raise my maximum if its my pleasure. It takes a lot of the pressure off bidding and generally I either win or lose to the maximum I originally set while in a relaxed, non-bidding frame of mind.
I still cannot see the benefit here. If you establish your maximum there is no pressure to bid-your bid increases automatically and incrementally to keep pace with any other bids, up to the high limit you have set. Once your high mark is surpassed should you decide to bid more, then in my estimation you had never really set your top bid. Only then would the pressure increase.
I bid early and see no advantage otherwise. I decide how much I would pay for an item and in effect my bid is a proxy, it will go up and allow me to win, unless someone else values that widget more highly, or maybe just has more money and sees more value or scarcity. Sniping cannot be open-ended, it only pays to your limit just as an early bid would.
The snipe program purports to do something special, but in fact it does the same as an early bid. The only difference is it will notify you should your high bid be surpassed. Did you really decide up front what you would pay, or will you bid more in a "pressure" situation upon notification? That is the only difference.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
ronn

Fordors, where you are missing it is the fact that if you snipe at the last minute, others dont know that you existed. Whereas, when you bid early, you have set a warning and every idiot and his brother starts bidding against you. Therefore you have shown your hand early.
Think of it as a good game of blackjack....................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You are correct Fordors! If I have a bid for $100.00 on first day and someone enters a esnipe bid for less, it makes no difference, he loses the same as if he entered the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Fordors, where you are missing it is the fact that if you snipe at the last minute, others dont know that you existed. Whereas, when you bid early, you have set a warning and every idiot and his brother starts bidding against you. Therefore you have shown your hand early.
Think of it as a good game of blackjack....................
Let the idiots bid more then it's worth. I have a set amount in mind to spend. If want to be an idiot also, I will place a bid 10 times what the part is worth and I'm almost guaranteed to win every time. How many people are going to out bid 1000.00 for a 100.00 part.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #30
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I still cannot see the benefit here. If you establish your maximum there is no pressure to bid-your bid increases automatically and incrementally to keep pace with any other bids, up to the high limit you have set. Once your high mark is surpassed should you decide to bid more, then in my estimation you had never really set your top bid. Only then would the pressure increase.
I bid early and see no advantage otherwise. I decide how much I would pay for an item and in effect my bid is a proxy, it will go up and allow me to win, unless someone else values that widget more highly, or maybe just has more money and sees more value or scarcity. Sniping cannot be open-ended, it only pays to your limit just as an early bid would.
The snipe program purports to do something special, but in fact it does the same as an early bid. The only difference is it will notify you should your high bid be surpassed. Did you really decide up front what you would pay, or will you bid more in a "pressure" situation upon notification? That is the only difference.
The problem with bidding early is there are bidders who will just chase
your bid until they are the high bidder. If you snipe your bid they have nothing to chase. Look at some items where a bidder will bid ten time
until he is the high bidder but he still looses to a sniper.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #31
H. L. Chauvin

1. E-bay is very similar to a Model A Forum.

2. If one sees zero (0) responses, it can stay like that for quite some time.

3. Then after one (1) entry, one wonders why all of a sudden everybody got interested & has something to offer.

4. Human nature? Curiosity? Fear to be first in line? Not sure what?

5. FWIW:

If one sees an unanswered question on a Model A Forum, & one sees the individual is not getting helpful responses, & you sincerely want to assist this person, just ask him if he changed his condenser lately, or anything .......... & in one hour, one can scroll down to read all 12 responses.

6. Hope this helps guys seeking Model A advice, and/or, helps to one acquire Model A parts on E-bay.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
Fordors

So? No one knows my high bid until theirs exceeds it. If they see more value, or just have more money, then they can have it. I have never entered a bidding war yet I win my fair share. Is something really rare, or in demand? Then I would bid accordingly, but again- if you see more value you bought it. My disappointment will always be tempered by knowing my impulses were not larger than my wallet.
To me ronn you make it sound as if no one else would surpass your high bid just because it was a snipe. Doesn't work that well in real life, your high snipe could be $XXX at 3 seconds 'til end of auction. A higher bid set early will beat that every time, and that is the bottom line.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #33
CarlG

This may or may not help me, but this is the way I have approached items that I really would like to win on:
1) place the minimum bid early on, just to get my "name" on the board.
2) Watch the progress throughout the bidding period.
3) If the item is still within my pre-set price range, bid that amount within the last minute to 30 seconds. If I'm successful, great. (I bought my Pickup that way) If someone else beats me to it or ups my bid in that last 15 seconds, Oh Well!

Now, if I really don't care whether I get it or not, just place my "best & final" whenever.
If someone else beats me to it, Oh Well!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=H. L. Chauvin;938839
If one sees an unanswered question on a Model A Forum, & one sees the individual is not getting helpful responses, & you sincerely want to assist this person, just ask him if he changed his condenser lately, or anything .......... & in one hour, one can scroll down to read all 12 responses.

.[/QUOTE]

H.L.------ sadly it seems that more and more when someone comes onto FB with a question, often times they are belittled and attacked. I'm to understand that a number of VERY knowledgeable Model A Ford folks who were frequent posters here are no longer.

This is totally off-topic from the original thread I realize. But, this has been an extremely serious development here, and if it doesn't end soon there will be no reason to look here any more for information. I come here to learn and have learned a LOT. Hope to continue doing so.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
dlfrisch

I have had a couple of things, that has happened to me, dealing with you know who.
First one - I listed my new (only used about 2K miles) enclosed trailer. Put it in for bid, for 7 days. I had a $2.5K dollar Buy Now and thought it was a reserve. I had about $2.8K dollars in the trailer. The end product …someone bid it the last second or two for $1.5K dollars and won. Legally, I had to sell it and of course, I lost a lot of money. Nothing wrong, except me the dummy, did not know the correct procedure to have the Reserve issue written into the bidding agreement. I learned an expensive lesson !.
Second item - Again no real problem. Just a questionable thought. I listed my Model A and I DID have the proper Reserve written in. I only had one bid and early (first day) for all the agreed listing days. I’m not sure, it may have been my own starting bid. In the last few seconds someone bid a few dollars just over my Reserve. It seemed a little awkward, because it was an odd dollar $ reserve. I certainly wanted to get more money and I‘m happy, that it sold. My question is - how does someone know, want the item enough to bid $ on it and bit at just the last moment and just at the upper dollar end of the Reserve? The Reserve is suppose to be extremely private. Joe, public can’t get the Reserve. Makes me wonder, if there might be a loop-hole in that system or is it just bidders luck.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #36
Super88

It's just like how people like their Model A's, everyone has their own preference.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #37
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I have had a couple of things, that has happened to me, dealing with you know who.
First one - I listed my new (only used about 2K miles) enclosed trailer. Put it in for bid, for 7 days. I had a $2.5K dollar Buy Now and thought it was a reserve. I had about $2.8K dollars in the trailer. The end product …someone bid it the last second or two for $1.5K dollars and won. Legally, I had to sell it and of course, I lost a lot of money. Nothing wrong, except me the dummy, did not know the correct procedure to have the Reserve issue written into the bidding agreement. I learned an expensive lesson !.
Second item - Again no real problem. Just a questionable thought. I listed my Model A and I DID have the proper Reserve written in. I only had one bid and early (first day) for all the agreed listing days. I’m not sure, it may have been my own starting bid. In the last few seconds someone bid a few dollars just over my Reserve. It seemed a little awkward, because it was
an odd dollar $ reserve. I certainly wanted to get more money and I‘m happy, that it sold. My question is - how does someone know, want the item enough to bid $ on it and bit at just the last moment and just at the upper dollar end of the Reserve? The Reserve is suppose to be extremely private. Joe, public can’t get the Reserve. Makes me wonder, if there might be a loop-hole in that system or is it just bidders luck.

If your reserve is 5003.02 and the guy bids 6000.00 he will get
it for the reserve.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #38
ronn

Hey, Frisch,
have been bidding ebay since its inception-very easy to find out what a reserve is......

take an ordinary tudor A, bid a ridiculous 30,000 bid and you will hit reserve and see what the sellers reserve is-then go and withdraw your bid and now you know what the reserve was.
Had that happen to two of my brothers cars last month and it goes on all of the time and ebay allows it.
Also have had several bidders buy cars and never respond after winning, that is why I suggest car sales at approx 60% of reality and that is being kind on ebay.

I guess for you guys who like to bid early, keep doing what you're doing and I'll keep winning auction after auction getting exactly what I want at my price.....

Guess my analogy of backjack wasnt understood...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #39
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jeff,

Humble Opinion:

1. In the first place, it takes a very brave person to ask any Forum question. He/she should be highly respected.

2. Secondly, it takes a brave person to try to reply to any Forum question. He/she should be highly respected.

3. Lastly, it appears that most of us check the obituary columns every day to see if any of our friends passed away; however, it might be helpful if we think about how our announcement will read ...... will they remember us for respecting others .... or will they say the old know-it-all SOB with the Model A finally croaked.

Just one opinion.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-02-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
BudP

I didn't croak! I'm still around!
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote