Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Vic Piano

Default Re: Coker ridiculous shipping charges??

Wanted, a car with a " Dynaflex Superflowing Unijet Turbovasculator which is Syncromeshed to the Multicoil Hydrotensioned Dual vacuum Dynomometer. "

Hey Fibber,

I just sold one of those to the "junk man"!!! it was the very rare '39 Bantam Stretch Limo, that was used to transport all the Munchkins to the movie studio for the filming of the Wizard of Oz... I think they actually built two so... there may still be another one out there...... To find it, you just need to follow the yellow brick road...
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #22
Talkwrench

To compare. Ordering the same Firestones [4 tyres] is $25 each from east to west coast here in Australia.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Alaska Jim

I bought 4 radials for my 51 merc several years ago from Diamond back. had them shipped through US mail to Alaska. cost me a bit over 100 dollars for all four of them.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
32coupe

Also summit has coupon codes just google them, I used a Show special Code that saved me another 10% off my entire purchase. If it is not expired, I would give it a try. the discount code is ZU10095362
I used it on 2 sets of coker tires last month and it saved me over $200.00 plus I got the free shipping as well. goodluck. My hamb discount did not even come close to the savings I got with the summit coupon and free shipping. Goodluck!
32coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
Uptown83

I just bought tires from coker 2 months ago and I thought the shipping was really high. I almost didn't buy but I did. Might look elsewhere next time.
Uptown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #26
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Coker ridiculous shipping charges??

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There is no such thing as " free shipping " ....

Someone pays for it .......

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Mr. Will

Summit used to be free shipping for tires but I think they are charging 8.00 bucks now because of over size package. Still a good deal.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #28
roadster36
BANNED

The charges are another way of padding their profits. They always add fuel surcharges to the item, but when the fuel prices go down they never adjust their prices back down. Another thing that is never mentioned is the fact that most of these companies hedge their fuel costs.The make purchases weeks and months ahead of time and save money. They act on impulse to raise the surcharges whenever they can get away with it. Shipping charges dictate my purchases these days. If Speedway or Summit hides their charges I really don't care, it is not an "in your face" insult. I see a lot of excessive handling charges these days as well, check out EBAY and get a good laugh. It pays to be careful.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #29
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Wanted, a car with a " Dynaflex Superflowing Unijet Turbovasculator which is Syncromeshed to the Multicoil Hydrotensioned Dual vacuum Dynomometer. "

Hey Fibber,

I just sold one of those to the "junk man"!!! it was the very rare '39 Bantam Stretch Limo, that was used to transport all the Munchkins to the movie studio for the filming of the Wizard of Oz... I think they actually built two so... there may still be another one out there...... To find it, you just need to follow the yellow brick road...
Wow, that's a shame you junked it , I didn't even know you could get one in a Bantam as they usually came as an option in bigger cars. Jack Benny almost bought one bit I don't know what car it was in ( this was to replace his Maxwell)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #30
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Look at the money you're saving by not having them shipped into Canada! ha!
I made that mistake once.......ouch!!!!!
Ohhh yeah......don't EVER EVER EVER use UPS to ship ANYTHING to Canada! They nail us BIGTIME for broker fees etc etc !
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #31
bbrust

I bought 4 tires from Diamondback in SC. I mentioned driving down to Mrytle Beach for a vacation and picking them up at their office in Conway, but they told me that I'd pay more in state tax then I would for the shipping charge.
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
Robert Dip

Quite a hefty response from all....I guess the word will be out not to buy from Coker directly. Yes, never, never ship UPS to Canada...$35 + just for brokerage fees that you get a surprise shock when the package arrives and they want CASH. This is why I have a NY ship to address....easier for everyone...the seller and saving the over the border shipping. Fun being a Canadian...better then 'Down Under' I guess...but still...add now 12% extra for the dollar exchange, I have to pay 15% Federal and Provincial tax coming into Canada, and to add insult to injury...I have to pay this tax that includes the parts and SHIPPING. Taxed to death...what else is new. I'll get on the phone to order these two tires. I don't believe that DiamondBack have Firestone bias ply tires...maybe ??
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #33
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
.....I don't believe that DiamondBack have Firestone bias ply tires...maybe ??

Diamond Back sells only tubeless radial tires.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #34
Ralph Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
I bought 4 radials for my 51 merc several years ago from Diamond back. had them shipped through US mail to Alaska. cost me a bit over 100 dollars for all four of them.
I thought the post office stopped shipping tires, I do remember that they were the cheapest way to go.
Now it's so expensive to ship tires here that the only way I do it is to find someone coming up the Alcan and beg them to bring the tires.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #35
Robert Dip

WOW.....an easy & no brainer order placed to Summit. $0.00 shipping. I have PayPal and processed payment immediately...amen. Thanks all for the input, and hopefully a lot will read this post. You guys just saved me the shipping at $81.51 plus exchange & taxes = $104.95. Now I'll have more $$$ to buy parts for my real Henry '32 5W. These tires are a must for a 4-Banger set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new header-1.jpg (90.5 KB, 19 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #36
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
You can probably get the same tire from Universal Tires in Hershey , PA I just bought 5 tires from them and the shipping was not that high. They are also closer to NY and might be cheaper because of that.
I bought tires from Universal and picked up at their place on Elizabethtown road reason ably thought or was told that Coker had bought them out a couple years ago.Hopefully this is not true if they are gouging on shipping. Guess someone has to pay for the different ragtop Harold is driving in each weeks episode of BackRoad Gold. I do like the show and Corky's '53.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #37
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
There is no such thing as " free shipping " ....

Someone pays for it .......

Jim
I agree, nothing is free. But I would just as soon the seller pays it.

A set of tires from Coker $820 plus $177 shipping. A set of tires from Summit $820 plus free shipping. Doesn't look like I am paying for it.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
32phil

I just bought $100 of China's best from BoB Drake.....shipping was $34.....OUCH !!!never gonna do that again...
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #39
2935ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Quite a hefty response from all....I guess the word will be out not to buy from Coker directly. Yes, never, never ship UPS to Canada...$35 + just for brokerage fees that you get a surprise shock when the package arrives and they want CASH. This is why I have a NY ship to address....easier for everyone...the seller and saving the over the border shipping. Fun being a Canadian...better then 'Down Under' I guess...but still...add now 12% extra for the dollar exchange, I have to pay 15% Federal and Provincial tax coming into Canada, and to add insult to injury...I have to pay this tax that includes the parts and SHIPPING. Taxed to death...what else is new. I'll get on the phone to order these two tires. I don't believe that DiamondBack have Firestone bias ply tires...maybe ??

I would double check the tax on shipping......that's federal I believe....never got charged for it here in NB.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #40
Topsterguy

Speaking of Coker, a few years ago when I was putting wde whites on my 32 coupe I asked at a few forums, this was one of them, which were the best whites to use, and the majority said Diamondback Classics. Several said that Cokers tended to yellow fast, especially on long trips, and overall didn't retain a nice white for long. I went with DB then and have an 2 others since then and have been VERY happy with them overall. Just sayin!
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote