Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Robert Dip

Default ’39 Deluxe spring hood support

Since I removed the hood off my car for the engine work, I now am about to re-install it, but something is wrong. I checked with the ’39 Ford book and the bracket info is a little confusing, for me anyway. The hood never stayed up properly and I am tired of doing the ‘stick hold’ thing. I got the ’39 with the hood mounted as it is, but now I am finding out that this is not correct. The spring was on the upper position and the bracket does not have the little additional arm…..the one I have seems to be from a later Ford or even the ’39 Standard. Can anyone help me on this little situation….time to get it right. I will order the proper shoulder bolts ( 4 sets required ), as now I have just regular bolts / nuts….not correct also.
Thanks in advance…..Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: ’39 Deluxe spring hood support

Here's two pictures that hopefully will help you out.
Most of the 1939 (deluxe) year supports did not have the little arm you describe. Thus, only one hole in your cowl to bolt up the lower arm.
Late 1939 started the design with that little bracket. All of 1940 passenger cars used the design with that small bracket (two screws).
1939 standard hood support (there's only one) is very different than the deluxe version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5548.jpg (58.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9108.jpg (71.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Robert Dip

Kube, I believe that you have it covered for me. I must have the correct bracket, but it was mounted upside down. Many Thanks....& wow, that is a beautiful '39 Deluxe Conv.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Kube, I believe that you have it covered for me. I must have the correct bracket, but it was mounted upside down. Many Thanks....& wow, that is a beautiful '39 Deluxe Conv.
Thanks for the kind words. I am kind of proud of both cars. I will admit, the wagon caused many more gray hairs to appear than the convertible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9141.jpg (84.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5643.jpg (68.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Robert Dip

Kube...there is something special about a '39 Deluxe. I always wanted a '40 deluxe, and 'settled' for a '39. but, I have been converted, not because I have it, but because of the details. The grille is a work of art, the headlights, even the bumpers with the grooved detail, not to mention the ever classic tail lights and so on. Thanks for sharing the great photos.....Robert
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Kube...there is something special about a '39 Deluxe. I always wanted a '40 deluxe, and 'settled' for a '39. but, I have been converted, not because I have it, but because of the details. The grille is a work of art, the headlights, even the bumpers with the grooved detail, not to mention the ever classic tail lights and so on. Thanks for sharing the great photos.....Robert
My favorite has always been the '40 deluxe models. However, I (obviously) have a strong attraction to the '39 models as well.
The 39 convertible (body) is most certainly a more attractive car than it's younger (1940) brother.
I have now restored a pair of '39 standard coupes and have come to admire those as well.