Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Robert Dip

Default Solid wheels on '35 drums

I what to have the option of changing wheels and keeping my '35 drums. Kelsey Hayes 16" wheels one week, and solid ( vented ) original Ford 15" wheels the next. Changing my '35 drums is not an option. Does someone fabricate a flat spacer to compensate for the two different mounting levels required with the spoke wheels. Stud length may also become a tad short. Never heard of something available to date, or maybe I'm missing something??? Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Solid wheels on '35 drums

Unless you have ground of the raised areas (did you?) the Kelsey's will work fine on the '35 drums. If the raised areas are ground off you will need adapters for the Kelsey's that are available from places like Speedway. I have never found a source for the solid rims on the early drums but they used to make them. You can see the raised areas I am referring to in the second photo at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ns#post8330045 DO NOT RUN THE SOLID WHEELS ON THE EARLY DRUMS WITHOUT ADAPTERS.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Robert Dip

Default Re: Solid wheels on '35 drums

Ch Stephens....yes, thanks...very well aware of the raised areas....been at it for 50 + years. From what I can see, a machined two step flat plate and installing longer studs will do the trick......but....just checking if they are available....especially a longer stud that will fit on the '35 drum. The thickness of the spacer also has to take into consideration the clearance of the rather large diameter '35 drum center part...to clear the solid wheel hole diameter. Where there's a will, there is a way.
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote