Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #841
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

Your concern about the amount of movement of the horn button may be well founded if it is only a 1/16 of an inch, but you can find out if there is an issue by performing a continuity check at the bottom tip of the the light switch/horn button rod while pressing down on the horn button and then releasing it.

If it fails that test and you want to retain the horn function through that button in the center of the steering wheel, you may have to pull the entire rod out of the steering column without bending it as a starting point, which is a project all by itself in a cab with a roof on it such as yours. You would have to unfasten the column at the dash, loosen the three attachment bolts of the steering sector housing to the frame, and remove the rear window glass in order to remove the rod without bending it.

You might be able to avoid all that by pulling the rod out only as far as you need to access the tabs underneath the top of the rod's die casting with the handle for the light switch. Those tabs retain the chrome-plated ring surrounding and retaining the horn button and once that ring is removed, you'll have access to the spring beneath the horn button.

Last edited by DavidG; 11-13-2021 at 10:36 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #842
sugarmaker

David,
Yikes! Is what comes to mind first, after reading that! Was afraid of that. I will test continuity first in the button.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #843
sugarmaker

David, folks,
Horn update. Tested continuity. Yes the switch / button works, on/off, but it is very sensitive. It seems like when driving I might lean on it and the horn might blow??
I have aligned and redrilled the diaphragm to get the button in correct alignment with the driving wheel.
I may hook this to a 6 volt battery and see if it works.
Will reference the wiring diagram again.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #844
cas3

one drop of oil on the armature bushings
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #845
sugarmaker

Ok guys,
The horn testing has me in a minor head lock. This may be just due to poor contact surfaces? Should I get a good continuity check across the two terminals in the horn? Just slightly confused due to lack of motor workings.
Just don't want to mess this up. So I have a 6 volt, positive ground Ford tractor setting here to test the horn.
Just want to wire up some test jumper wires.
So from the positive ground on the battery, to one side of the horn contact? Other side of the horn contact to the negative side of battery? Just touching any one of these contact point should be my switch??
Sorry for the electrical trivia.
Yes that works! I have functioning horn! Awesome!
Now to tune the sound a little also.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #846
DavidG

Good news! And in in-truck use, it is the horn button that completes the circuit to ground.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:33 AM   #847
cas3

Good news that it works. Now, since you have a 6 volt source there to tune it for the nice slow southern drawl type AHOOOOOGA, then if you put 12 volts to it you will be disappointed. Need a resistor of some sort, or rewire to 12 volt.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #848
sugarmaker

Cas3, David, Folks,
Yes the plan is to put in a dropping resistor to go down 6 volt for the horn.
Also will add a drop of oil to the armature bushings too! Thanks!

Just to jet caught up on pictures. Testing the horn button, yes it functions as designed, Will see how sensitive it is?:

layout for re-drilling and re clocking the diaphragm, a straight edge to align the new set of holes with the center button:

6 volt testing of the horn, on the Ford tractor battery:

Assembly of horn components with protective coating added (will be flat when dry,to blend in a little better with the truck patina):

Will try to get the horn mounted soon. Wife thinks it will bother the neighbors and small animals! I am looking forward to announcing my arrival!

Next to look at the turn signal control.

Thanks for following along on the trucks progress!
Yes we have a little snow this morning, only a skiff. I put all the toys in the shop last night.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #849
DavidG

The '50' on the NOS Model A horn diaphragm was its price in cents, which gives you a pretty good idea how long ago it was purchased.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #850
sugarmaker

David,
That made me smile! Glad it wasn't $50! A great horn and one of the crown jewels on the ragged ol' 32 Ford dump truck too!

My theory is that the truck was in a accident shortly before it was mothballed in 1952. The grill, maybe radiator, lights, and horn were removed, set aside, and or replaced. The original horn never made it back on the truck. The owner about that same time purchased a good used 48 Ford truck for his work and the 32 got set aside. It was known from the previous owner that the dump bed from the 32 was moved over to the 48 for a while and then placed back on the 32 later. (thats my story and I am sticking to it)

Thanks to you and many others on the Ford Barn for continued support on this project. It sure has made it a pleasure for me!

Folks,
With winter setting in I am looking forward to my machine shop (Valley Machine) making progress on the engine #1 for a project next spring to make the truck more road worthy and dependable.
Some folks will say, why did you go to all that work on that old #2 engine. Well it has allowed me to progress all the way to driving the truck, testing almost all the systems, and installing the horn! That would not have been possibly with out this engine from Mr Driskell in Tenn.

Now that I know a lot more about these 1932 trucks I look forward to the project of assembling/building engine #1 and getting it in the truck for some 2022 driving. The 32 will be 90 years old! I will be 70 years old. Looking forward to maybe getting to a few car shows to set in the shade and talk about old trucks!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-14-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #851
Bored&Stroked

Great job on the horn Chris . . . and I like your plan! I remember talking about your engine situation when you stopped by. It is always better to get something running and on the road to help motivate one to get another engine built and for taking the time to do it right.

I did this on my 32 Cabriolet -- managed to get the flathead in it running and the car mechanically sound for driving (had sat for 50 years), then I took my time on the "new" engine, new transmission, new read-end, etc..

Meanwhile, I had a car that I could drive, easily move around and take out on the road -- that provided constant motivation to get the rest up and going.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #852
Pat/Ohio

Chris, You mentioned a trip to Erie, PA....my wife and and I just drive from SW Ohio to Horseheads, NY to pick up a Corvette Conv. we just purchased and traveled I-86 south of Erie. Are you located near there? It was the first time we travelled I-86 into New York. Very nice scenery...the leaves were starting to turn.

Snow here today also!
Stay Safe!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #853
sugarmaker

Dale,
I need all the help I can get to stay motivated on projects. Having a small reward at the end of a day, like posting progress, helps me. Yes having this truck moving was my goal! We made it and beyond! Just being at your shop was a inspiration for me to get this Tennessee engine running. Not without several battles!
The horn is in position on the truck. Pictures coming.

I spent the day working on the antique turn signal unit that cas3 liked so much. I took it apart. Installed the guts from a two post modern flasher in place of the 6 volt coil flasher. Rewired, tested and finished installing it on the left side of the steering column. Pictures coming on that too. Yes it functions almost as good as I expected. Ok way better than I expected. I was going to get a shiny chrome one. Glad cas3 liked this one, me too! Yes not original equipment, but at least 70 years old. A few thing to keep a eye on like potential loose wires, and poor grounds.

Pat,
If you came across I-90 from NY to Ohio you were about 8 miles north of us. Our exit is closed, rt 18 for bridge reconstruction . If you came up I-79 we are about 9 miles west from there off the Rt 6N edinboro exit.
Need pic of your new ride!
Next trip plan to stop in.

About a inch of snow today. Was in the shop all day on this electrical stuff on the 32. May have to solid solder the connections in the steering column "egg", they are not holding well.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-14-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #854
sugarmaker

Folks,
Some pictures:
Location of the turn signal unit:

Rewired several times to get the bulb inside to work with each side of the truck, finally gave up:

New flasher guts in place of old coil. Very interesting how these work, by heating and cooling to make on/ off contact:

The shorty handle will be reused. stretched a old spring for the pivot arm and filed a new edge on the mating face where it rests in the central "off" position.

Turn signal switch assembly:

Back to the horn, used some wide wire clips to slip under the contacts:

Going with the flat black look on the horn: Will start the patina process, it will just take another 70 years.

Horn mounted:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #855
DavidG

Chris,

The horn looks good the way you 'aged' its finish. Is your radiator drooling from its mouth, just like some other old timers?
Old 11-15-2021, 12:57 AM   #856
Tinker

Last edited by Tinker; 11-15-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #857
DavidG

Deleted

Last edited by DavidG; 11-15-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
Old 11-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #858
sugarmaker

Tinker, David, Folks,
I dont think it was my truck on facebook? But I dont do facebook much.
I never thought about semi-gloss. May be a good choice getting towards the similar look of the rest of the truck and knocking the time line down to 50 years . Yea pretty hard to blend in no matter what is used on a added part to the truck. Steel wool and dust. Tried the dust a little. Humm Steel wool, that's a good idea, wet it and might get some good rust stains too?
My goal was not to have a rat rod look to the 32 truck. There is no SBC under the old hood. Original patina look was the desire. I have not studied the methods of getting that aged look to newer parts but am all eyes and ears. Some examples would be great to look at. Processes to get the aged look, would be even better. I saw a set of tractor fenders painted to look rusty and they did a great job of matching the look of the rest of the tractor.
What I like about the horn even more that the look is that I believe it will be fully functional and is the correct horn for the truck. Plus I was able to do a little work on it, and learn about it!
Also great that it came from a person I haven never personally met, but went out of his way to help a newbie in this old truck thing. A nice added bonus for the ragged ol' truck and its story!

Its definitely ok for anyone to not like any part of what I am doing. Fine on this end. All good!

I am also ok doing what I do. I also continually try to learn, improve, and mentor.

David, Yes I agree! I do need to wipe the drool from the radiator. That seems to be the result of the K&W material used in the radiator to help seal the block. I saw that in the picture also and said to self, "that needs to be cleaned up a little". I think water and a scrub brush with get most of it removed and looking better.

As the snow has come to our neck of the woods the projects on the 32 may diminish. But I do have some interior trim work that can be done. This is only the third project I have left in its work clothes. Interesting that they are just a ongoing project. How can you say they are done when you never did all the work to make them factory fresh? Will it ever be done? Probably not.

I may go back to doing some wood working in the shop. Ash lumber to be made into trim for 7 more windows waits in a pile, along side a stack of hemlock to go up in loft.

Thanks for checking in on me and the old 32 dump truck project!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #859
sugarmaker

Tinker,
You did not have to edit that out. I take all comments as positive and productive.
I personally would like to have information on what others have done to age parts. I am sure it would be interesting and informative.
Yep I sure have done some things that the purists will not approve of. I do understand that also. I try not to destroy the original intent or workings of these old pieces of machinery.
But there are folks that do take these machines in to areas like rat rods. or some even make them 500 point show cars! I am pretty vanilla and want to be somewhere in the middle. I doubt I will every have ones at either end and would not be comfortable driving either one. Scared to be seen in the first and scared to drive the second!
All good friend!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #860
sugarmaker

Folks,
Had a chance to go to friend John R's home today while in Erie. He said he had a turn signal of similar vintage as mine. Well it turned out to be a large column mounted air valve system. Made by bendix. I will get some pictures. If you know some one that may need it let me know.
I also got to tour some of his awesome car collection. First was a 39 Ford coupe. Two more modern Chrysler's, a 1916 Olds,, model T speedster, three model A's. Last but not least was a black Merc. 49, 50 or 51? Can't remember? But I really liked that one!! You will be able to tell me when I get the pictures loaded up tonight.
Getting covid booster today, out to eat and then will see what the afternoon brings.
I need to get the dropping resistor. Place in Erie may have some in stock that are tunable. I assume the horn needs 6 or 7 volts!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets