Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
Incognito-A

Default Curious about NOS sheet metal

Seems like there was a surprising amount of NOS metal (mostly fenders) at Hershey this year albeit for big money.

I have a theory that much of this metal just passes from owner to owner with appropriate price increases over time.

I would like to hear others’ opinions.

Plus…would you use/have you used NOS metal on a car? If so, what?
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Curious about NOS sheet metal

I agree with your theory. at todays labor rate, would be easy to spend over 100k on an A

and not that many guys are doing such. what is the point unless the vehicle has been in your family for some time or you have an extremely rare model?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

You are basically correct. I, too, have passed NOS sheet metal along as the market was too high to keep.
One real problem is “NOS”….”back in the days” there were many manufacturers of replacement parts including fenders. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward and many others sold replacement parts. So who’s nos is it?
You have to know the nuances on the flea market field to discern. Some you can tell in the bead others have tell-tale differences.
I’ve also heard that true Henry NOS replacements may have been those set aside at the assembly line due to fit
As to fit…I’ve had it both ways. Some fit like a glove; others need tweaking, sometimes a lot.
Sorta like today’s repo stuff.

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 11-10-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
Stretch Cab

My early 30 Rdst. PU has NOS rear fenders. I believe they were bought at Hershey in the early 70's. I can't remember how much my dad paid but I still remember the writing inside the fenders and how much I hated to get rid of that when we painted the fenders during the restoration.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
One real problem is “NOS”….”back in the days” there were many manufacturers of replacement parts including fenders. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward and many others sold replacement parts. So who’s nos is it?

I’ve also heard that true Henry NOS replacements may have been those set aside at the assembly line due to fit

Bill is absolutely correct on both of this. At Gilmore this year, there were fenders and other sheetmetal that came out of the late Don Bevins' estate that were listed as NOS. I was looking at them as was others 'excited' at what was being found. One buyer snapped-up more than a complete set of L28/29 fenders and sheetmetal for use on a fine-point car being restored. When I looked at them, I quickly realized they were actually NORS, -and not NOS as they people were thinking they were.

Yes, these NORS can be modified to appear as original Ford-made sheetmetal (-albeit a lot of work especially when a premium purchase price has been paid) however the unfortunate thing is a knowledgeable judge in fine-point will score them as nothing more than a reproduction fender, -which would likely lower the vehicle's score enough to be ineligible for a Henry award.

And for the second part about fenders set aside, yes Ford did have new fenders that were sent to the Agencies which did not fit. Often times these were not infield-destroyed as they were supposed to be, and then during the 50s-70s they were discovered by hobbyists when they were buying out old dealerships of their obsolete parts and were never installed. I have actually purchased several NOS fenders over the years and wound up reworking them to fit the vehicle. Others fit just fine, so it is always a gamble.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
Incognito-A

Thank You to all posters, this is really great information!

I wonder what will happen to the market when the reproduction metal becomes as good as the original Ford factory produced parts? Maybe some of it already is?!?
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
ronn

I wonder what will happen to the market when the reproduction metal becomes as good as the original Ford factory produced parts? Maybe some of it already is?!?

dont think that will ever happen. I believe demand is steadily dropping, hence no commitment to spend big $ to make them better.

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Gary Karr

The prices on NOS lower sheet metal depend on which year and fender. NOS 31 plain fronts will still bring a premium price as well as 30/31 Coupe/Roadster rears. If you could ever find NOS 30/31 sedan rears, name your price. There are still a lot of NOS 28/29 sedan rears around and the prices have pretty much stayed the same for years.

I think that we're seeing a lot of nice sheet metal hitting the streets as older restorers age out. There are still some serious "players" in the hobby that will pay good money for it.

In answer to your question, I can't see that buying NOS sheet metal today in hopes of selling it at a higher price tomorrow is a very good investment.

When you look at the costs of reworking used sheet metal, prices for NOS don't seem too high today.

Last edited by Gary Karr; 11-10-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
Oldbluoval

Ronn-
Don’t hold your breath on quality or availability going up (as you state). The cost of production is so high and the economic build quality is very high even if off shore. So, the business decision to invest might/will stymy production . A lot of things have gone by the wayside because the economic build quantity is 500 and the demand 100; 400 (probably 3x the profit in the 100) would be in inventory a LONG time. Several early V8 parts just can’t be had.
Granted, technology (CNC, non-steel stamping, etc) have lowered those direct costs. But all other is up. Albrecht has been making quality rear coupe/roadster fenders for years. Brookville has a nice niche in reproduction parts but there interchange with original isn’t perfect IMHO….but good!
Snyder’s, Berts , A&L and others make a lot of smaller parts very well…..thank you!

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 11-10-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

After A production some of the Ford replacement parts were done by contractors. So a 40's production part may not meet the standards. I had heard a 40 production flywheel NOS was not well balanced when compared to a production time NOS part. I know later rods did not meet the same standards.

As for building quality original parts.

Like 20 years ago I talked with someone who looked into accurately reproducing the 28-29 coupe type lower rear panel.

Getting the dies made up for stamping were fairly pricey as one would expect. Then you also need special sheet metal that is capable of being worked to make the shapes of the 1930's parts. This can be done, but you have to buy a whole roll of that sheet metal.

In the end it worked out that he would have to sell thousands of the part at like $500 ea to break even.

As to the parts that dont fit. Ford did not waste anything. If a part did not fit on the line it was sent out as a dealer spare part. There are stories about 'that' part. A new mechanic would start working in the shop and the standard thing was to give him the part that does not fit and watch him. My brother is a mechanic and yes he has done that- more then once.
Now many years later that part sits forgotten on a shelf and the dealer is going out of business and it ends up as a prized NOS part for your car. Imagine your dissappointment......
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote