Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #501
Bob C

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Snyder's has this engine stand side mount. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../model-a/tools
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A_6005_ADP.jpg (18.4 KB, 4 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #502
DavidG

Which is very similar to the KRW original design in terms of how it attaches to the left side of the block.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #503
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If those head studs are new ones from Snyder's, I'll remember not to buy any from them as they are all too long by about 3/16" - 1/4". That's surprising given how fussy many Model A restorers are about such things as original fastener dimensions.
David,

The studs are not the only ones they had. They did have shorter ones also. This is where my lack of knowledge/ details takes me down a path. To a novice it seemed like longer was better. I continue to learn!

I did reset the valve lash to .011 inches.

Folks,
Thanks for the comments links and pictures on the engine mounting brackets too! I will review those option and suggestions. Allis Chalmers tractors and fair parade will consume me for a couple days!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #504
sugarmaker

Folks,
Several days at the fair doing tractor pulls and tractor show, Lots of visiting and eating to!, I need a rest!

I did receive my PA registration and permanent title for the 32 today WooHoo! We are legal to get it on the road! Just need some details, like a engine. It will happen.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #505
Mart

That's great. Sometimes the paperwork can be a nightmare so getting that squared away is a win.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #506
al's28/33

Chris,

We all LOVE to read and learn from your posts. THANK YOU for being so informative and taking the time to share all your progress!!!!

Question, what about any other parts to this truck, the cab, the front signals the dump box/hydraulics ? Can we help with anything else you plan to inspect and get ready for operation?

What a treasure of experience you have with your tractors and that you have involved so many people in this project.

THAT is all part of what makes this hobby such a great thing to share with others and help the next generation to learn and experience the things our ancestors did as everyday life. There aren't enough "hands on" life lessons any more.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #507
sugarmaker

Mart, al,
Folks,
Thanks for the words! I appreciate them! I ramble a lot, go into appears not Ford related. Have some great shots coming with models in my truck! Stay tuned for that too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #508
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Chris,

We all LOVE to read and learn from your posts. THANK YOU for being so informative and taking the time to share all your progress!!!!
Your very welcome! Just seems to be a style that I have used in other forums too.

Question, what about any other parts to this truck, the cab, the front signals the dump box/hydraulics ? Can we help with anything else you plan to inspect and get ready for operation?
I will have several things that I have not figured out or even researched yet. One is a new speedometer cable. Anyone have a clue as to who might carry those as repo or maybe a NOS?? the other may be the "U" joint for the PTO to hydrulic pump. These look rather worn I may be able to repair them just havent looked at them close yet.
On the turn signals: I have recieved another set of them that are very similar but in much better shape on the lenses. They do not have the eyebrows, but have the same patina!
I also need to find components for the headlights, Looking for a great best light kit to get the best lighting possible.

What a treasure of experience you have with your tractors and that you have involved so many people in this project.
al, I just putz along and take a bunch of pictures along the way with words as filler. My phone is out of commission so there will be a lag on pictures for several days!

THAT is all part of what makes this hobby such a great thing to share with others and help the next generation to learn and experience the things our ancestors did as everyday life. There aren't enough "hands on" life lessons any more.
I try to encourage and enable folks to start, work on or get a new project! Thats the stuff that keeps me interested and moving. Hope to motivate some folks young and old!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #509
sugarmaker

Ford Barn folks,
Slight detour as we catch up on the Albion Area Fair week events. Mike, Heidi and great grand daughter, Chloe in front of "Papa's" old WD tractor. She really like to drive these with her dad.

Ok serious business now as we pull on concrete in the 3500 lb and 5000 lb weight class'. Here Jim, from 'Bugs & Tugs', Linesville PA, gets his game face on, preparing to pull with my WZ Allis in 5000 lb class. He spun out and did not place. Its all about weight balance and traction!

The stone boat, Ready for the 3500 lb pullers. Gary G and grandson Nic in background with Allis tractors too. And my Ford Jubilee that spun out also!

Nic, on his great grandfathers WD:

Pulling distance was 25 feet. Gary and neighbor Larry won the 3500 and 5000 lb classes with full pulls. Second place finishers may have pulled several inches.

Friday night Farm Stock pulls under the lights. My WD45 and D17 (missing the right front wheel to make weight!) I placed 3rd and a fourth with these.

Saturday was Antique tractor pulls: Ford was 5th in 3000 lb class, WD45 was 2nd in 4500, D17 was second in 5000 lb class. All good! Didnt break anything and all home safely!

Thanks for riding along with me!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-20-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #510
sugarmaker

Folks,
Back to Ford stuff. I found a short piece of window channel that goes near the drivers side lock. About 4 inches long and has a slotted tab at one end. Looks like it was left out when the lock or striker was worked on? All the widow felt in that door is long gone. At some point that window will need replaced (broken) and the channel felt will need to be replaced also.
I will try to look for information on how the channels with the felt are held in place inside the door.
Any suggestions are always appreciated.
Need to get back on the engine assembly too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #511
DavidG

Chris,

I have one of those 4" pieces of window channel as well. Neither is of much use as they are broken off a much longer whole channel. There's an excellent reproduction of the '32-'34 closed cab window channels and a separate kit of the felt lined u-shaped runners that the glass slides up and down in that fit into the steel channels.. Once you have the whole steel channels in hand their installation becomes obvious.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #512
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the info on the window channel. At some point in the distant future, I will do the research for the new window channel kit. I like those type of things to work.

Folks,
Back on the engine assembly, ( sorry no pictures) I installed the intermediate starter housing to the rear of the engine. Then the flywheel with new pilot bearing, torquing and lock wiring both.
As the engine was upside down I believe the other engine (#1) had a pipe coming off the rear main that may have directed oil back into the baffle of the oil pan. So this rear main is tapped for the 1/8 inch NPT. The tube seems to be gone. Can I make a new one or are they out there somewhere?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #513
DavidG

Snyder's has the drain tube (B-6328-R).
Old 09-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #514
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks I should research these items prior! Shame on me! I did look through there catalog and missed it. I will check with them on that part. I don't want to leave it out. It was designed and installed for a reason!

Folks,
I now have a beautiful horn for the 32 truck. Thanks to a good friend!!
It looks so good it almost makes a guy want the rest of the truck to look that good too!
More on that later.

Lots of moves to still make as we move along slowly on the engine assembly work. My plan is to get the drop tube installed as mentioned above. install the pan and gaskets with the tips I found. then. roll the engine over and attach the transmission/ bell housing.
Question can the entire assembly be lifted with (custom) eye bolts from the spark plug holes??

Next event is our "Fall in Love with Maple" days Oct 2nd and 3rd. You are all invited! I would love to have Model A's and any antique cars show up also!
We will have syrup and maple products, honey, pumpkins, cider being pressed, wagon rides, tractor show, wood sign crafters, stationary engine displays, And a 32 AAB truck on display. (it still may not be functional by then??) Yes and the sugar house will be open for walk through too.

Humm, just reminded I have a lot of work to do to be ready for that event!

New phone coming Wednesday. Actually has been kind of nice being without one for a couple days too!

Hope things are good in Ford land!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-21-2021, 07:04 PM   #515
sugarmaker

Ford Barn Folks,
So for the drop tube from the rear main: I stopped at the hardware store got a 4 inch long steel nipple with 1/8 NPT thd. Put in a soft vice and added a bend at one end. It bent easier than I expected. I looked at some pictures of my engine #1 and the tube goes down below the baffle, not into the baffle. That makes sense as the bottom was rotted off due to being in the sludge. All good.

Ran a bottom tap in all the 5/16 threaded holes for the pressure plate, pan, fuel pump and valve cover. Lock wired the pressure plate bolts, aligned the clutch and located the pressure plate on to the flywheel.

Cleaned the oil pump. flattened the bottom plate, assembled and set in place.
May set the oil pan and gaskets tomorrow afternoon.

Built two lifting eyes for going into / through old spark plugs housings. Is there any issues with lifting this engine and tranny by eye bolts in two of the spark plug holes?? Seems like it should work??

I have a issue with my "B" water pump. The aluminum nut that has the castellated features holding packing, is cracked all the way through. Also when I tighten this up it almost stops the water pump from turning. I have not had this water pump apart as the fan assembly on the taperd shaft is very tight and I dont want to break something!

Suggestions always welcome.

Still no cell phone to take pictures! After having one around for 10 years its a relief, almost!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-21-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #516
DavidG

Once again, Snyder's to the rescue for the water pump packing nut, their part A-8523-Z. Curiously, theirs is cast stainless steel which sort of resembles the original zinc die casting and likely is much stronger.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #517
sugarmaker

David folks
Ordered some water pump items from Joe at Snyder's . Also a oil pump drive shaft.
Goal is to get the oil pan mounted today and the engine back in the upright position.
Then I should be able to assemble the transmission and the items like manifolds also fuel pump and the carb.
At that point the parts from Snyder's should be here. And I can work on the water pump too.
Getting a tool that is used to tap on the threaded end of the shaft to try to break it loose. More on that later.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #518
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Engine assembly continues:
Oil pan in place and secured.

Note: Several folks mentioned the fact that these oil pans can be bad. As in corroded. I was just about to begin putting bolts into pan from engine #1, noticed a small mark on the bottom. I was going to ignore it. Glad I didn't. as I gently probed with a small screw driver, a hole instantly developed the size of two match sticks! I grabbed the pan from #2 engine cleaned it's sealing surface up. swapped the baffles, and moved the new rope gasket to this pan. I guess its not a bad idea to have some spare parts close by also!

That's about as exciting as it gets around here!

I got a package from Snyder's and the gland nut in stainless for the water pump looks really nice! Hope to get to that tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in on me. May have to use the wife's cell phone to take some pictures! Should be ready to tip the engine back over and set it up right soon. Still planning to lift from the spark plug holes unless someone suggest a better way??

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #519
sugarmaker

Folks,
I have the old non correct seat frames/ springs if anyone is interested. Will part with them at a reasonable price. Not sure what they really go too??
P.M. me if interested.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-24-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:37 PM   #520
sugarmaker

Folks,
Took the starter in to have new bendix installed. Was very worn. Researching other needed electrical components. This truck may get a upgrade. Be assured I wont change any thing to the point it can not go back to stock.

Mounting fuel pump and manifold this afternoon.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets