Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Menace Kustoms

Default Synchro trans for a 34 Ford?

Is there a vintage, synchro trans that could be adapted to my car without cutting anything up? I'm just looking for a driveability improvement along the lines of juice brakes or 12V electrical. I've never driven a non-synchro trans before, it's a bit of a learning curve for sure.
Menace Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Synchro trans for a 34 Ford?

My vote would be to use the syncro trans that came stock in the '34 Ford. If you want to get fancy go to '39 gears and tower. If your stock '34 trans doesn't act like it has syncros you should have it checked out. Be advised that none of the early Ford transmissions had syncro back into first from second or into reverse.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-19-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Menace Kustoms

It doesn'tl feel like it at all. I can't just shift from first to second or second to third without rev matching and really easing it into gear. I've never driven another car that needs to be shifted like that. If I don't, it grinds.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace Kustoms View Post
It doesn'tl feel like it at all. I can't just shift from first to second or second to third without rev matching and really easing it into gear. I've never driven another car that needs to be shifted like that. If I don't, it grinds.
You need to have someone check out your trans. I have a '32 with basically the same trans and have no problems. You might contact Max Navarro (310 774-6723) about your trans. I haven't used him but he comes highly recommended. Max is in Santa Monica. If So. Cal. means San Diego or Bakersfield you might post asking for someone closer.

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
DavidG

Charlie,

It seems as though he is seeking a modern fully-synchronized transmission, not one with just 2nd and 3rd gears synchronized like a '34, but 1st gear as well. Even in perfect condition, a '34 transmission can't deliver that.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Menace Kustoms

Well, if it were at least synchro going 1-2 and 2-3, that would help a lot. I'm not as worried about down shifting. I live in the High Desert, Victorville area. I don't think there's really anybody really local that knows about these things. I'm expecting to have to travel a little bit.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Probably your best bet would be to install '39-'48 passenger car gears in your '34 transmission case and use a double detent shifter top with the wide 2/3 fork. These gears will fit the early case while some of the pickup truck gears will not. This would give you the equivalent of a "39 transmission" while allowing you to retain the original serial numbered case.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-20-2015 at 09:10 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
coup34

my 2 cents. install at least 239 ci, 39 box, Columbia rear, Use low ONLY if stopped. I am still enjoying my 34 since 1950.
coup34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
Torchie

You can put the later gears into the earlier case but I believe that some modifications need to be done for gear clearance issues. I would contact Mac Van Pelt. Has both the knowledge and the parts that you may need.
Torchie.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Vanspeed

I have a 1929 coupe with a 39 case and 46 gears behind my 4 cylinder. Yeah you can't downshift from 2nd to 1st but it drives just great. I can keep up with traffic and it feels modern to me. I think you would be happy with a trans that is similar.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Menace Kustoms

Those all sound great. It already has a 59AB with a Merc crank in it, so it has the power to keep up with modern traffic. Does anybody have a definitive answer if the later years fit in the early case? Who is this Van Pelt? Is he a member here?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/index.html

They sell parts, but he is also a transmission expert and provides a rebuild service. He is on the barn quit often and also provides answers to transmission questions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
zzlegend

Quote:
Those all sound great. It already has a 59AB with a Merc crank in it, so it has the power to keep up with modern traffic. Does anybody have a definitive answer if the later years fit in the early case? Who is this Van Pelt? Is he a member here?
Do yourself a favor and order his "how to book". Has all the info you will need and very helpful. Good luck with it.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...trans-book.htm
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
DD931

It sounds like a totally different problem to me. He's talking about upshifting 1-2 and 2-3, not downshifting.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
I can't be any more definitive than my previous posts. Have personally built 3 or 4 early transmissions ('35-'36 cases) with '39-'48 gears and planning to build two more soon using '35 cases and tops with wide forks. Built one for Glenn Sanders, a member here, last May for his '36 sedan and he loves it. You could pm him for his definitive response.
Do you know for sure which transmission and case is in your '34 now? The internal area for gears is same for '34, '35 & '36 cases. The clutch bell area on '34 case is shallower than later cases which restricts you from using C&PP larger than stock '34. If you get a copy of Mac VanPelts book it will tell you these things and much much more.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #16
Mart

The 34 box, if in good condition will drive ok. I have a 39-ish box in my 34 but it has the old synchro design. It drives nice. You have to load the synchros in a certain way, applying moderate to firm pressure but not hurrying them. They will synchronise and engage the gear without crunching. They are "constant load" synchros. The later type will apply more synchronising force with added force on the stick. The earlier design will not. Hence the need to apply a steady load and wait for it to engage. I ran the 34 box that was in my 33 when I got it and that too was all right.

Your 34 box, if rebuild with good parts would drive ok and not clash when engaging gears.

That said, a box with later gears and synchros is better still.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Charlie Stephens

You might contact the local chapter of the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) and see if there is anyone good at rebuilding transmissions in your area.

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #18
larry/Texas

When you order the Van Pelt transmission book, ask them to send you their new catalog. It has transmission parts plus a lot of other early ford parts. In addition it includes many drawings of Ford systems. Great books and a great guy.

1 800 299 7496

vanpeltsales.com
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #19
rotorwrench

The larger 29-tooth cluster from the later 1942 thru 48 cars will not fit in the early cases but the standard 28-tooth clusters used from 1936 on will. If it has a 59A it may already have a later flywheel & clutch type. Sometimes the clutch cover flyweights can rub on the early cases but I think that can be overcome with some Minor modification.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Menace Kustoms

How do I know which case I have? Can I take pictures and put them up here? What should I be looking for?