Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
John Duden

Default Re: Firewall date code location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Bill,

Look on my website under Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes.

By the way...just how on earth can you have an "early" 1929 STD. COUPE? All "early" 1929's of this type were Special Coupes...were they not?

Pluck
Mine says 2 28!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Heavens, I don't know, Engine # falls in for a June'29, Engine number pad is not altered, but may not match frame number, thus the confusion. Motor may have been changed and NOT re-numbered. I will discover the body number and clear it up. "VERMIN" is NOT a special coupe, just a really decent regular coupe with like new interior, top, and rumble seat redone in 2002.----Bill W.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
Artiki

Just resurrecting this thread to add my photo for future ref. I just had my fuel tank acid dipped...

...and it revealed the number you can see below.

There was so much paint on it before that the number wasn't visible.
Artiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Was it also sealed and coated inside?? and who did it please
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

The stamper got the 8's upside down. Sometimes the entire number is upside down.
Now's a good time to weld all those extra holes shut.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
wrndln

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Another thing you might check is the 8 or 10 rivets (or something) where the gas tank cowl welting is supposed to go. I don't believe they should be there. There is a wire inside the welting that goes over the tank for the hood to rest on that is tightened to hold it in place, not rivets.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I hope like heck that the fellow who acid dipped it for you nutrilized it to get all the acid out of the small crooks and crannys because if not...you will be very disapointed when you start seeing the acid oozzing from those areas after it is painted.

Don't ask me how I know!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
atourer

Gents, this is a topic close to my heart - So I ask, at what point in manufacture was the tank stamped ? - I had read or heard that it was stamped after it was welded as a form of batch control for quality in case of leaks. This would have of course been some time before final assembly. Later it was stopped as an unnecessary step - is this true ?
Also this is particularly relevant to us in Australia because our open models and trucks were imported from Canada CKD so a tank date plus say 2-3 months would give approximate local build date. Thanks, Brian
atourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atourer View Post
Gents, this is a topic close to my heart - So I ask, at what point in manufacture was the tank stamped ? - I had read or heard that it was stamped after it was welded as a form of batch control for quality in case of leaks. This would have of course been some time before final assembly. Later it was stopped as an unnecessary step - is this true ?
Also this is particularly relevant to us in Australia because our open models and trucks were imported from Canada CKD so a tank date plus say 2-3 months would give approximate local build date. Thanks, Brian
atourer...

You are asking the 64 million dollar question! There are a lot of us out here that would like to know the EXACT reason why Ford stamped these tanks when they did...mainly from about May 1928 through September 1929.

All we can do is speculate the reason at this time and that was for quality control after the assembly of the tank itself. In other words after the tank was inspected...it was then stamped and sent to the various assembly plants throughout the USA.

The closer the assembly plant was to the tanks coming off the assembly line at Fordson/Dearborn, the closer to the build date in some but not all instances. As with engines, some sat around and were got to later thus making assembly further from the actual stamping of the tank.

If you go to my website and review the gastank articles and some of the data, you can see that there were at least three senarios of tank assembly to a car or truck body.

It is quite interesting.

Again...all we can do is speculate just what the reason was as to my knowledge, no one has really come up with the definitive answer as to just why the tanks were stamped in the first place. That answer is HOPEFULLY hidden in the Ford archives and HOPEFULLY some one will find the real answer.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
shawnhorton2960B

shawnhorton2960B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
shawnhorton2960B

ok that did not show up ,will try again
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
shawnhorton2960B

1 29 29 or 1 20 29
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
Bustingear

Just checked mine which is a 28 AR but I got a tank off of a four door to use on my sedan
Marked 6 21 28
Bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #34
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by atourer View Post
Brian, you should check the article by Dave Slater [ Vic.] in Restorer July/Aug. 2010; ''My visit to The Australian Ford Archives".Australian production was not closely related to what went on in US. They actually were selling '28 '29's in 1931 & '32 along with the locally built 1930 types that went to 1932. Ian Irwin has also published about 3 very good books on Australian Model A's; ask some local Model A guys if they know of these.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racur96 View Post
Thanks, searched cowl but no luck. I was able to get assy plant # with battery acid method. My engine was built July 8th according to steves site. And speedo still has tamper tag on backside and shows w9, 1929 September. Right rear frame crossmember has pao stamped in it. Anyone have any idea what it is? Couldn't match it up with any Frame codes listed.

What is the "battery acid method" for revealing a deteriorated frame / cross-member number ?

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #36
Racur96

Hi frank just noticed your question. Take a copper pot scrubber( I used one with plastic handle) and dip it in battery acid. Take a battery charger and hook negative side to peice that your trying to get numbers from & positive to your pot scrubber. Lightly run it across the peice. It's nasty so make sure & wear glasses, gloves & a mask & make sure and keep it wet with the acid or the arc can scorch it and make it hard to read. This method worked when nothing else would on my numbers. They were lightly stamped and deteriorated but it brought them out quite a bit.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #37
Special Coupe Frank

Racur,

Thanks for the info ! Assuming you're using 6-volt setting on charger ?

Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #38
Racur96

No I used 12 , may work on the 6 but my charger didnt have the 6 volt option.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
1oldtimer

Ok, bringing back a dead post or at least a post in a coma......here's mine it's on a '28 Tudor.

So what does it mean? 10-13-28 without the 28? since stamping was stopped by then in '29.
Funny thing is 10-13-28 was a Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank id number-1.jpg (67.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg tank id number-3.jpg (32.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 09-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #40
Tudortomnz

I do not understand your question on this ; if it is a 1928, must be Oct. 13th 1928?
Re being a Saturday, I think you will find it would have been a normal work day, especially if in the morning. They had rotating shifts at the car plants. These days, we also have gone right back to working everyday & all night like before the 40 hour work week?
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote