Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #21
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Those are only the hydraulic parts Dave. He would still need all of the linkages and brackets.
That's correct. But sometimes you can find complete used OEM power assist systems on e-pay. They're dirty/rusty and need rebuilding, and you need to make sure you are getting the right idler-arm assembly and bracket.
I myself sold a complete and restored power assist system a couple years ago to someone who frequented this site.
It's best to get one for the exact year and make of your car. Don't buy one for a '53 flathead because the pump brackets won't fit a Y-block. You may be able to get away with a 54/55/56 Ford assembly, but the idler arm and bracket might not work. Make sure it comes with the add-on crankshaft pulley and longer center bolt.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

That's correct. But sometimes you can find complete used OEM power assist systems on e-pay. They're dirty/rusty and need rebuilding, and you need to make sure you are getting the right idler-arm assembly and bracket.
I think what is causing the confusion is the kit I showed. That was for illustrative purposes only and gives a complete parts list for a 54 MERC install.

The chances of finding a NOS kit will likely be nil but stranger things have happened. And the chance of finding a correct donor with all correct origional parts is also going to be a challenge.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)