Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default I should know the answer to this...but I don't

I just never paid much attention to the orientation of the upper grease fitting on the spindles. Duh on me for that! It's the odd-looking part # A-353029 in Snyder's catalog. I have looked through vendors' catalogs, contemporary photos, sketches and magazines with restored cars. Nothing is definite that I could find. The orientation of the Zerk fitting is all over the map.
Does the tip point straight forward, towards the top or towards the back? Or at an angle? Good arguments for any of these orientations. I should think facing forward makes more sense for ease of greasing, but that also exposes the inlet nozzle to road muck. Pointing the tip straight up would avoid that, but it would make greasing awkward. Pointing the tip to the back would also protect the inlet nozzle, but once again, it would be awkward to introduce grease from behind the backing plate. So, I'm leaning towards pointing the nozzle straight forward. Does anyone have photos of an UNRESTORED spindle with this upper grease fitting intact? I can't trust photos of "restored" Model A's to answer this.
Thanks in advance.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zerk fitting.jpg (15.0 KB, 5 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: I should know the answer to this...but I don't

I am not the 100 points car expert but I would think that you could put it oriented the way that makes most sense to you. Mine point forward.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #3
Rob Doe

Marshal, recently, I noticed a couple club member's cars had plastic covers over the grease fittings. I assume they are like vacuum port covers, although these are likely plastic and colored red, rather than the black rubber???

Remembering some of Tom Wesenberg's photos, he put what, at first, appeared to be excessive amounts of red bearing grease in unusual places. He put grease in his distributor and his brake parts. It occurred to me he was creating a dirt trap that could be easily wiped away and/or a seal to keep the inner grease on his roller pins from drying out???
Old 05-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
bobbader

Marshall, I'm almost positive facing forward is the correct position. Most that I have taken apart are so oriented. As per making the tip more likely to gather muck, this is no different than the fittings on the front shackles or the fittings on the 28/29 tie rod ends or the front shock link fittings. Don't think Ford was much worried about the possibility of "muck gathering"> by the time Model A's came along, based on the Service Bulletins, it was easy to see he was quite happy to have customers bring their cars back to their dealers for any type of service work.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:16 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
Marshal, recently, I noticed a couple club member's cars had plastic covers over the grease fittings. I assume they are like vacuum port covers, although these are likely plastic and colored red, rather than the black rubber???
Are you referring to Zerk caps? They are specifically made to fit modern Zerk fitting to keep dirt/moisture out. They come in various colors. Will not work on original type grease fittings.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zerk cap.jpg (7.6 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-28-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
Rob Doe

Y, I bet you are correct. Makes sense. I just walked past the car and kept going.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Thanks, Guys. 'Just what I was looking for. I'll follow my hunch and your advice and point the metal Zerk fitting needle forward. 'Not going for show, but I might as well get the right orientation while I'm at it anyway.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote