Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
Bill Stipe

Default In regards to spuddering at High RPM's

As Bill Williamson mentioned in DJS post the Model A is not a great design for high RPM but they can do pretty good if everything is right with them.

I have to share a funny story if anyone is interested. My Dad always told me not to tear up that Model A and be putting a V-8 in it. I beg my dad for that car the summer I got out of 9th grade.

I was always tinkering with it after I graduated high school so I set out to make it faster, I got some EMT conduit fabricated a home made down draft set up for an old Rochester 6 cylinder carb and dual split headers, found a C head and cut it as much as one dare. cut the flywheel down to about 35 pounds and mounted a Plymouth PP and 3 speed Plymouth trans with a homemade shifter that I could lock out first gear once It was used to speed shift 2nd and 3rd and never hit 1st or reverse!

So every Friday night we cruised 8th street looking for girls.
Well here come a Mustang screaming up along side me hollering out the window if I wanted to race! I thought yeah right 289 V-8 against an old prewar 4 cylinder, so I told him not unless you pull 4 spark plug wires! well that made his hair stand up, so out he jumps and yanks 4 wire in no particular order and away we go.
Well needless to say I pulled away from him for a block or so and we pulled over he was fuming and said well my car wasn't made to run like a 4 cylinder and I came right back at him said well mine was made to run like a V-8,, BOOM!! that was one of the best times I had, plus I got the girl!!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: In regards to spuddering at High RPM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stipe View Post
As Bill Williamson mentioned in DJS post the Model A is not a great design for high RPM but they can do pretty good if everything is right with them.

I have to share a funny story if anyone is interested. My Dad always told me not to tear up that Model A and be putting a V-8 in it. I beg my dad for that car the summer I got out of 9th grade.

I was always tinkering with it after I graduated high school so I set out to make it faster, I got some EMT conduit fabricated a home made down draft set up for an old Rochester 6 cylinder carb and dual split headers, found a C head and cut it as much as one dare. cut the flywheel down to about 35 pounds and mounted a Plymouth PP and 3 speed Plymouth trans with a homemade shifter that I could lock out first gear once It was used to speed shift 2nd and 3rd and never hit 1st or reverse!

So every Friday night we cruised 8th street looking for girls.
Well here come a Mustang screaming up along side me hollering out the window if I wanted to race! I thought yeah right 289 V-8 against an old prewar 4 cylinder, so I told him not unless you pull 4 spark plug wires! well that made his hair stand up, so out he jumps and yanks 4 wire in no particular order and away we go.
Well needless to say I pulled away from him for a block or so and we pulled over he was fuming and said well my car wasn't made to run like a 4 cylinder and I came right back at him said well mine was made to run like a V-8,, BOOM!! that was one of the best times I had, plus I got the girl!!
Bill I'm going to tell Cindy about the girl.
Bill tell them about the Chev head on your A.

Last edited by George Miller; 04-17-2017 at 11:52 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
hardtimes

Hey George,
Yeah, I think that Bill works long/hard building us guys some great hop up parts for our A/Bs . BUT, I think that he missed the boat load of $ that he would have made....had he produced that chev ohv head for sale ! Ton of money to be had, from those who warm up our four bangers, for any OHV head ! The heads involved were plentiful/cheap. No foundry involved, as he said that cutting/grinding and welding made his one off copy ! And, well that was a gold opportunity missed , IMO

Saying about trees and forest comes to mind,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Bill Stipe

LOL, the girl was way, way before I even knew at Cindy even before my first wife time!
George If I had the OHV Chevy head I think I could have took him for a block or so with all his wires on yet. LOL
Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
JDupuis

I enjoyed the story Bill. Thanks for sharing. Jeff
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
mshmodela

Bill,

Great Story! Oh and two years on with your shocks... Just amazing how well my car rides. Thanks

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
George Miller

Ok Bill I will keep my mouth shut about the girl. I think you made that guy mad enough as it was. He really would have lost it if he had all the wires on.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
Bill Stipe

Lol