Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor electric wiper

Uncle-Uncle-Uncle!!!! I give up!!!! I spent hours and hours rebuilding the electric wiper that was on the Tudor when I started the restoration.

And I was proud that I was able to get it working. I wasn't too enthused as to how well it functioned--I surely wouldn't want to get caught in a torrential down pour, but it did go back and forth.

Well, I am near the end of this project and I tried the wiper to make sure it still worked--and--it didn't!!! It has power and ground but no go!

Is there a (new) replacement out there that would fit right into place?

I'm not going to go through a bunch of modifications to make something fit but I may be interested if there is something that will bolt right up?

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019.06.15 WIPER INSTALL (4).jpg (71.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 2019.06.15 WIPER INSTALL (1).jpg (87.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 2019.06.15 WIPER INSTALL (6).jpg (58.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: 29 Tudor electric wiper

Yup they run about $295. I plan on getting one myself.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Yup they run about $295. I plan on getting one myself.

Who sells them?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
burner31

Just for kicks...have you hooked it up to a 12V?
Is it wired as a 6V?
Just throwing some ideas out there...
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Vin-tin

Fred, did you test it on the bench or in the car? The reason I ask is because I don't see the copper "ground" strap that should be fastened under that one screw. The other end goes between the rubber boot and the windshield frame.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred93 View Post

Who sells them?
I think most of the usual suppliers. I will be using Bert's in Denver.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
I think most of the usual suppliers. I will be using Bert's in Denver.

Thanks--have you heard any pros & cons?

Is it a direct fit?

I have had so many problems with parts during this restoration that I am leery to spend $300 for something that may or may not work!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Fred, did you test it on the bench or in the car? The reason I ask is because I don't see the copper "ground" strap that should be fastened under that one screw. The other end goes between the rubber boot and the windshield frame.
I totally agree with Vin-Tin...You need the copper "ground strap" on the wiper...then hook it up and I bet it will go providing you got the wire hooked up within the terminal box! Make sure to scratch off an area of the windshield frame for the ground strap to touch.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post

Thanks for the reply--

Yes, I did install the copper ground strap (sorry that I don't have a photo of that) and I did grind the paint off at the area where the strap contacts the windshield frame. I checked for ground continuity and power voltage the other day when I noticed that the wiper was not working. However, I will connect a temporary ground wire to the wiper just to make sure.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
ryanheacox

I'm guessing you did have continuity? My original electric wiper works great, but only when the windshield is closed. For whatever reason, the ground gets weak with the windshield open. Maybe the A/C draws too much power
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
Gary Karr

Don't give up yet! As mentioned above, test your wiper motor again out of the car. You can do this by hooking it up to your 6V battery charger, with the red cable as a ground and the black negative connected to the power spike. If it works, your problem is most likely with your ground. You need the copper ground strap as mentioned above that will ground through one of the mounting screws. On mine, I also removed the paint from the windshield frame that the ground strap will come into contact with to insure a better ground. Finally, you will need to make sure that the windshield frame is also grounding at the top hinge. The best way is to sand off any paint on the rolled top edge of the top of the frame and also clean out the rolled part of the upper hinge. Also, make sure that there is good ground between the 6 mounting screws of the upper hinge and the header. Good luck. It's not that complicated.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Don't give up yet! As mentioned above, test your wiper motor again out of the car. You can do this by hooking it up to your 6V battery charger, with the red cable as a ground and the black negative connected to the power spike. If it works, your problem is most likely with your ground. You need the copper ground strap as mentioned above that will ground through one of the mounting screws. On mine, I also removed the paint from the windshield frame that the ground strap will come into contact with to insure a better ground. Finally, you will need to make sure that the windshield frame is also grounding at the top hinge. The best way is to sand off any paint on the rolled top edge of the top of the frame and also clean out the rolled part of the upper hinge. Also, make sure that there is good ground between the 6 mounting screws of the upper hinge and the header. Good luck. It's not that complicated.

Thanks for your reply Gary

I was checking the ground and power wire with my Fluke meter and the battery voltage was spot on when I checked the power wire at the wiper motor. I checked the ground with the Fluke meter set on ohms and it was good. I checked the ground with the meter on voltage and it was good as well.

I ran a temporary ground wire to the wiper motor but it still did not start working, however when I touched the temporary ground wire to the wiper motor I saw a slight spark, which made me think the the ground was not as good as I thought. I played around with it a little more, turning it on and off, moving the wiper blade with the manual lever, and it moved by itself one time, just a little bit, then nothing.

So I am not going to spend any more time with it at this point. I'll talk with the owner and see where he wants me to go from here! Either leave it like it is (for looks only) or install a new reproduction unit.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:47 AM   #13
CarlG

Unless you are dead set on making it just like Henry designed it, and for that kind of money, I would seriously consider the aftermarket solution offered by Newport Engineering. That's the route I took and I wouldn't go any other way.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
jrelliott

Just to make sure the motor works, check with an additional ground wire to a real frame ground. Not just some where on the body. If you have 6 Volts at the motor from the harness, then check the voltage at the ground side of the motor where the copper stap connects and I would guess that it is 6 Volts also. If it is, you need a good ground. Paint really causes grounding problems.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Just to make sure the motor works, check with an additional ground wire to a real frame ground. Not just some where on the body. If you have 6 Volts at the motor from the harness, then check the voltage at the ground side of the motor where the copper stap connects and I would guess that it is 6 Volts also. If it is, you need a good ground. Paint really causes grounding problems.
Thanks for your reply

Please see #12
Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #16
desotoguy

Remove the wiper blade and try it. Bench test will not have the resistance the blade against the glass has. Maybe the motor is too weak to move the blade.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

Had a similar issue, worked outside the truck, installed in the truck and did not. Found that the manual operation lever was rubbing in the opening for it. Just enough so it would not work, but not enough to be obvious if operated manually. Do not know if that is normal, possible a 90 year old motor is weak, or perhaps original 6v motor is not very powerful.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
Doug Clayton

One issue that I see a lot is noticeable in the picture of the installed wiper. The small round knurled nut on the wiper arm is tightened all the way. This is a tension adjustment and should only be tight enough to put a little pressure against the windshield glass. Don't make the wiper work harder than it needs to!
Doug Clayton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
Tinbasher

I would check and see if the armature is clean. after sitting for a few years there may be a bit of corrision stopping the motor from running. I rebuilt my motor like this and there rather if'y.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote