Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #21
Kube

Default Re: Women buy shoes: Guys buy toys[old Fords]

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Man, what a "sleeper"! This guy, and this car are as welcome as can be on MY FordBarn! I THINK that Kube likely leaned over to his left and barfed-up dinner when he saw that third picture! I LOVE this thing!! DD

No barfing. Truth be told, I've had more than a few of these (both '39 & '40) through the years. I'd always had fun with them.
It wasn't that many years ago, I'd sold a standard tudor that I had owned for better than twenty years. SUPER body and for the most part, unmolested. The long term plan (when I got time) was a full body off refurbishment with a hot flathead, perfect black paint and superior quality flame job. Nerf bars, white tuck n' roll pleated interior, black piping. You get the "picture".
Finally I came to the realization I'd probably not get to it with so many restorations lined up.
Maybe some day...

Last edited by Kube; 06-03-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #22
deuce5wndw

Love it! Enjoy
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #23
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I find this sentence quite interesting. I would expect a well-built 276" flathead would be just about equal to a stock 283. It sounds like you experienced a not insignificant difference between the two. I, for one, would appreciate it if you would elaborate on it.
I think a '67 283/4bbl was rated at around 190 hp, while a 276 similar to mine would be around 140-150 hp from what I read. The difference is apparent. The 283 was smooth in all conditions, while the flathead surges on deceleration from about 1200 rpm down to clutch engagement. I've minimized this by initial timing about 4-5 degrees ATDC. Ported vacuum advance brings it back up when carb is opened. I've asked here for a possible cause. I didn't degree the cam, don't know if it being off would cause this problem. Then, I have straight exhaust on the flathead. Why have a cam if you can't hear it? Maybe the biggest reason is my mood is different from time to time.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
FL&WVMIKE

This car has FAR more class than a 350 SBC with a 350 Turbo Automatic trans in a generic street rod! It's actually 'period correct', and the ONLY thing that looks like it has been changed is the engine. This car would be very easy to un-do if a person so desired, but I would also leave it as-is. It's a time capsule, NOT a generic, belly button street rod! Plus, the way it is, it will generate a lot more interest than either a generic street rod OR a restored original. Would be a lot of fun to sit around and talk about the car!

Enjoy it!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #25
'36 5W

^^^Yup; an "old-timey" hot rod, we used to call them, back in
the late 60s. Often hear them called "survivor hot-rod" today.

Maintain a low profile, keep a light foot on the loud pedal, and
both you and that '39 trans. should survive!
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #26
Mart

I like it a lot. Good points made above. There is a big difference between that and a 350/350 heidts front end, parallel reared street rod.

It looks like a ton o fun.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
No barfing. Truth be told, I've had more than a few of these (both '39 & '40) through the years. I'd always had fun with them.
It wasn't that many years ago, I'd sold a standard tudor that I had owned for better than twenty years. SUPER body and for the most part, unmolested. The long term plan (when I got time) was a full body off refurbishment with a hot flathead, perfect black paint and superior quality flame job. Nerf bars, white tuck n' roll pleated interior, black piping. You get the "picture".
Finally I came to the realization I'd probably not get to it with so many restorations lined up.
Maybe some day...

Sorry Kube….you dropped the ball and Bob McCoy already did the spittin' image of that car for you with his iconic '40 that put SEDANS up there in a status reserved for but a few in the "real hot rod" world. This car sealed it's status with cover shots on Hot Rod and Car Craft Magazines back in the heyday. I've heard Bob's sedan touted as probably one of the top 20 influential hot rods of all time. Looking at the picture, Bob had to be a pretty cool one, eh? I'll bet you might have been a cool one too back in the day, huh Kube? DD

McCoy's '40!

Bob's Prom Date 1956

……………….

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Newc …...MY FINAL OFFER! I have a full-grown 22-year old son with a fully-functional, and fully paid-for LG "smart phone" that I would be willing to trade both of them (as a package) straight across for your little black coupe. Let me know! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #29
Kube

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;1895152]Sorry Kube….you dropped the ball and Bob McCoy already did the spittin' image of that car for you with his iconic '40 that put SEDANS up there in a status reserved for but a few in the "real hot rod" world. This car sealed it's status with cover shots on Hot Rod and Car Craft Magazines back in the heyday. I've heard Bob's sedan touted as probably one of the top 20 influential hot rods of all time. Looking at the picture, Bob had to be a pretty cool one, eh? I'll bet you might have been a cool one too back in the day, huh Kube? DD

McCoy's '40!

Bob's Prom Date 1956

That's nearly as I had envisioned doing mine. I knew it wasn't an original idea. I recall clearly lusting after a very similar one that used to frequent the Dog n' Suds I'd worked at when I was fourteen.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #30
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8coopman View Post
newc …...my final offer! I have a full-grown 22-year old son with a fully-functional, and fully paid-for lg "smart phone" that i would be willing to trade both of them (as a package) straight across for your little black coupe. Let me know! Dd

don't do it newc!
Old 06-07-2020, 06:04 AM   #31
tub1

i think your coupe is great just as it is ,ive a flathead 39 sloper that I wouldn't change it drives great ,my 35 tub is set up same as your 40 coupe and I like it just the way it is , just enjoy your car however you want it its yours
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #32
FL&WVMIKE

The picture of the flamed street rod above reminded me of this one owned by Bob Sayre in WV. I believe this picture was taken in 1991... or maybe very late 1980's. Not sure. Anyway, this was at the Fun Ford Weekend at National Trail Raceway. Fun Ford Weekend was both a car show and drag race. All Ford. Bob actually used a strap on his street rod to tow my broken mustang to the truck stop down the road from the track. lol

Bob's car was a tastefully done street rod. It had a 302. He built/painted it himself, and drove it everywhere! As a sad side note... he succumbed to the very bad trend of pastels, and painted the car PINK! I could have slapped him... and he probably could have slapped himself, as it was a short lived trend, and the car never was the same after that! LOL!

Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote