Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Not Secure

When I logged on just now, a warning came up that this site is not secure. Something to do viglink, whatever that is.
Anybody else have this?
If it is indeed not secure, I for one will abandon it.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Pinesdune

Default Re: Not Secure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When I logged on just now, a warning came up that this site is not secure. Something to do viglink, whatever that is.
Anybody else have this?
Never had this warnig from this site, pm Ryan and send him the details. Also run a virus scan on your end to make sure you dont have any malware/trogans/viruses/"phishing" on your machine, just to be sure you're systems clean/protected, maybe even do a "boot-time" virus scan if your software allows.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
cpf240

Are you using a different browser or device than usual? Did you enter the URL as: https://www.fordbarn.com ? The 's' in https is supposed to mean 'secure', not all browsers will try for a secure connection unless the link specifies it.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Synchro909

Same computer same browser using a shortcut on the desktop.
I'll PM Ryan as suggested
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Anybody else have this?
Go here and the viglink will go away;

http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Viglink is a way for webmasters to make money.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Go here and the viglink will go away;

http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Viglink is a way for webmasters to make money.
Thanks Mike but guess what. It is still there.
BTW, haven't heard back from Ryan yet but the time difference means responses sometimes take time.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Thanks Mike but guess what. It is still there.
BTW, haven't heard back from Ryan yet but the time difference means responses sometimes take time.
I'm sorry it did not work but I would not worry about it viglink, while annoying, is not going to steal anything from you.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 AM   #8
Synchro909

Seems viglink is associated with tapatalk. This from another site discussing it:
Vigilink is in affiliation with tapatalk and forums that use tapatalk have the option to monetize their site with Vigilink which creates links off of key words.
I seem to recall FB uses tapatalk!
Anyone know anything about Ghostery?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Seems viglink is associated with tapatalk. This from another site discussing it:
Vigilink is in affiliation with tapatalk and forums that use tapatalk have the option to monetize their site with Vigilink which creates links off of key words.
I seem to recall FB uses tapatalk!
Anyone know anything about Ghostery?
"VigLink Insert identifies valuable commercial keywords within your content and transforms them into links directed to the advertisers that value your audience the most."

So, when you click on a web link here sometimes viglink will take you off to another site. This is what happened to me and to Tom. But, the opt out worked for us. I think your browser/carrier recognizes that there is a possibility that you can be directed to a site you do not mean to visit.

If others are reading this and you find words that are underlined in the text of what you are reading, that is viglink at work.

Websites and other programs make money when you get directed to sites. Pay per click. Viglink is a clearing house for that. Instead of contacting a vendor and negotiating a deal that if someone clicks out your site from mine you give me money. If someone buys something because they get to your site from mine pay me more money. Viglink software handles all that and skims some off the top for themselves.

I learned this because I was wondering what the heck was going on when a page would not load and I saw "waiting for viglink to respond" in the bottom left of my browser.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
Synchro909

Thanks for the effort Mike but call me thick (I'm not a computer guru), I don't understand why this site is tagged as Not Secure because my browser does as you say when it didn't before and how do I get rid of it? Being directed to a site I don't want is not tolerable. Quite apart from the inconvenience, there may be consequences for visiting a site Viglink sends me to.
Seems to me this software smacks of some sort of deprivation of a civil right - the right to visit the sites I want to visit, not what that turd of a program decides I should visit. Where will that stop?
This is the only site where this happens so I doubt it is my browser etc. Maybe it's the site. I'm going to let this dust settle over night and decide in the morning whether I abandon FB.
I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS
An after thought: maybe my malware detection and protection software (I have a good one) detected Viglink as a threat (which it is) and said so. Just checked on the ipad too. Not secure warning there too. Starting to look like FB but like I said, I'm no computer guru.
What happens from here is up to Ryan, I think - it's his site.

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-25-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
RUNNERBUN

Hi Syncro, I have not had any problems up here. Logging in as normal. I have no idea how viglink works so can't offer any advice.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
Manager

I find it real funny when people get on their high horse and complain about the stuff you get for "free" on the internet. How the faark do you think this all happens for nothing. You don't have to tolerate it, you can just go back to buying books and magazines that you had to pay for and were full off ads anyway to get your information.Or watch the idiot box. I can't believe how little of it there is on the internet.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
Jim/GA

Here is an article that explains how VigLink is used by a website to make money (these guys actually are talking about blogs, but it works the same):

https://www.shoutmeloud.com/viglink-...zed-links.html

It uses JavaScript (which I have blocked in my browsers, except for selective sites and services, which I allow to run).

I jump around between 4 different browsers and I have been getting a lot of "help" lately from Google Chrome, warning my that a site I'm going to is not "secure". I ignore them or switch to one of the other browsers for that site. Don't sweat over the "not secure" jazz. I'd call it a false positive.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
updraught

The internet was developed mostly by universities. And a lot of people gave their time for nothing to develop the basics of the software you use today.

If the browser used was Chrome it has recently been updated to give "not secure" messages. Maybe try another browser.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #15
harleynut

Arnold I got the same thing you did.....
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
JDupuis

Synchro909; Glad to see you got over your inferiority complex. I hope hope I'm not on your "Dear Karma" list. Lol . Jeff
Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #17
DougT

I recently started getting the notice that only secure content was displayed unless I allow all of it. This happened to me on Smokstak when they changed to a secure server. Has this site always been HTTPS or was that recently changed? Really nothing to get concerned over.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
Are you using a different browser or device than usual? Did you enter the URL as: https://www.fordbarn.com ? The 's' in https is supposed to mean 'secure', not all browsers will try for a secure connection unless the link specifies it.
Actually, the server redirects to the SSL port.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 04-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
cpf240

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Actually, the server redirects to the SSL port.
It wasn't doing that with Firefox last week. I would get the 'not secure' message when entering the login information. I had to specify https either by entering the complete URL by hand, or editing the bookmark for it.

I've since installed the HTTPS Everywhere plugin to help avoid such issues in the future.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
Ryan
Administrator

We are currently upgrading the server, hence the warnings... We are actually adding security fellas...

And yes, I use Viglink for revenue generation and have for over 5 years now.
Closed Thread