Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
Veeder

Default Powder Coat 40 Ford Bumper vs chrome

I know the best answer is Chrome Plate but can't afford chrome plating. Is Powder coating Chrome a decent short term solution( say 3-5 years)?
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Powder Coat 40 Ford Bumper vs chrome

It might be depending on the "look" and quality you desire.

Powder coat doesn't look like chrome.

Plus, will it be difficult to remove the powder coating if you decide to chrome plate the bumpers later on?

You might be better off saving up a few more dollars and buying a repro. bumper.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
D. Jones

Since Ford apparently didn't chrome anything on the 1945 trucks, even the bumpers were painted, I had the bumpers I put on my 1/2 ton powder coated satin black, looks great, is very durable and won't fade as bad as paint. Removing the powder coating would probably require sand blasting.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Fred A

Looks like Veeder is one of those guys that doesn't want us to know where he is located. So information about '40 bumpers that may be regional can't be shared. I'm in the '40 Ford hobby and find genie bumpers to be quite easy to find at a fraction of the plating price. Seems that nobody tosses '40 parts except for me. Tossed because they have surprisingly little market value. Shipping of the large parts is another negative, there again regional. There are some traps in that pickup fenders are slightly different in the rear. Bought a beautiful pair re-plated in the platers wrapper. Surprised to find they were '41 pickup, two features not ideal for the authentic replacement. Notable the number of guys out here, laboring over hopelessly damaged parts, just not worth saving in one region, common in the other. Where is Veeder?

Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
woodiewagon46

I have seen the powder coat "chrome" and it basically looks sort of like an aluminum in color. If you are OK with that, go with it until you have the funds for chrome.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
RalphM

I wish my powder coating oven was big enough to do bumpers, I'd like to try it. The biggest things I've coated are wheels,and headers, although I've always wanted to try and fit an engine block in and see how it would come out.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
itslow

There might be a paint or coating shop in your area that has the capability of applying "spray chrome". It looks very much like chrome, but is more affordable. It's not as durable as chrome, but would be an alternative until you can afford to chrome the bumpers properly.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
expavr

Check with the local Powder coating shop about the availability of different chrome-like colors. I had a set of Hedman block hugging headers powder coated in such a way that they look like stainless steel which IMO would also look good on a bumper. The powder coated headers have been on the engine for about 1800 miles and have shown no tendency to heat discoloration like stainless or chrome headers might do.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
mrfliboy

Just throwing it out there, how about a vinyl wrap, lasts 3-5 yrs I've been told.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ome-vinyl-wrap
mrfliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
tubman

The vinyl wrap looks interesting. Over the last 6 months, I have seen several contemporary "car shows" where they used wrap on entire cars. I've seen it twice on that English show with Edd Chyna where he did a Mercedes and a Pacer (!?!) and was able to sell them for good money. It seems to take some skill to get it applied correctly,, but it doesn't look too bad. As Bullwinkle used to say "Now, for something completely different!". For the price quoted, it certainly looks to be worth a try.

I have a powder coating unit that works quite well and I have tried the "Chrome" on a couple of things. I use it for brackets, etc. but wouldn't consider using it it for a bumper. except for maybe a winter beater
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
deuce_roadster

Jay Leno's garage has a YouTube video of a process that is spay on chrome that is like what you see on plastic model parts. Check that out.

http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/...-chrome/n35122
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #12
Veeder

Thks all for the feedback a few things
It's a 41 ford (typo)
Visited a plater here in CT that does both chrome plating and powder coat in my opinion there is no doubt chrome plating for me looks better on the car
Lastly removing powder coat to go back to chrome is apperently very time consuming and difficult so you should be sure the finish is what you are looking for if you go the powder coat approach. This plater in Meriden CT was very knowledgeable and informative.
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote