Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2023, 07:44 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 ranch Wagon Coil Spring Question:

Ok, I have installed all the front end parts that I needed to install in my wagon including the coil springs. I do have a question or problem that I need to ask the pro's here. After removing the jack stands and putting the tires on the ground, as I lowered the wagon down, I heard a Pop noise so I thought something had come loose but I checked everything and all was hooked up ok. As I looked around, I saw that the drivers side coil spring was not at the indentation spot where it is suppose to be, it moved back about 2 to 3 inches back. In other words, the start of the bottom coil is not at the indentation point on the bottom base of the lower control arm. I don't know how it moved but it did. The passenger side is right at its starting point. So, does this mean I have to start over on the driver side to put the spring at its proper location or can I just leave it there? Thanks for your help.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:57 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 1955 ranch Wagon Coil Spring Question:

Yes redo the side that is not right.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:11 PM   #3
miker98038

PITA, but better to fix it now. As an aside, did you lower the car and put weight on the suspension before you did the final tightening on the upper and lower control arm bushings?

I don’t think this is part of what happened, just asking in passing. Just saw it on another site.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:04 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

The popping noise you heard was probably the other side where the end of the bottom of the spring coil was a tiny bit past the indentation, but when you put the weight of the car on it, the end popped into place, but on the side you are complaining about, it wouldn't pop in place because it's a bit too far off.
I don't know what to tell ya about trying to align these perfectly the first time. I suggest inspecting the bottom of the springs prior to putting the tires on, so that if one is mis-aligned, you can pull the ball-joint bolts out and rotate that spring.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:15 AM   #5
poolplayer1

Thanks to all of you for your help with this problem. It is a PITA to re-do but better to do it now rather than later. Live and learn. I should of checked and rechecked the coils before I put everything together. However, I am glad that I have people here that will give me and others great tips, help, and suggestions to correct the problem. Back to the drawing board. Its no fun because its going to be 110 to 112 degrees here in town. Not a comfortable weather to do this but, its got to be done. I'm glad I only have to do one side. I did not tighten the lower and upper control arms till I had put some weight on the front end. Than, I torqued the bolts to 85 lbs. I hope thats about right.

Last edited by poolplayer1; 07-11-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
paul2748

Front end torque specs should be in the Shop manual, which you should have if you are doing your own work.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
poolplayer1

Thanks Paul. I didn't think that the manual that I have here had the torque specs for the lower and upper control bolts but it does and it says between 80/100 lbs of torque for those bolts. I know that I have the origional 1955 ford shop manual around here but just can't find it. I bought it back in 69 or so. I'll find it one day.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #8
poolplayer1

Ok, all done with front end repairs on my 55 ranch wagon. I went ahead and re-positioned the coil spring that was out of its designated area and put everything back together, torqued and all. It was pretty easy this time since I had just removed all this to put lower and upper control arm bushings. Thanks to all of you that helped me with my project.