Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #21
Planojc

Default Re: One good reason for turn signals

The only hand signal people recognize today is the one finger salute.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #22
Bob Bidonde

Soccer moms, drivers using cell phones, drivers texting and drunk drivers scare me the most.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:48 AM   #23
Marshall V. Daut

"When on tour, I hang my "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign on the back"

When I was forced to rely upon my 1926 Model T Coupe for main transportation during the early 1980's in Phoenix, Arizona (NOT a small town, by any means!), I bought large plastic stick-on letters and placed them on the spare tire cover to read: "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!". That drastically cut down on the number one-finger salutes people flashed as they roared around me. Most people smiled or gave me a thumbs up because of that sign, I believe. Oh, some people still "saluted" me, of course, but not nearly as many as before the spare tire sign went into effect.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post

When I was forced to rely upon my 1926 Model T Coupe for main transportation during the early 1980's in Phoenix, Arizona (NOT a small town, by any means!), I bought large plastic stick-on letters and placed them on the spare tire cover to read: "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!". That drastically cut down on the number one-finger salutes people flashed as they roared around me. Most people smiled or gave me a thumbs up because of that sign, I believe. Oh, some people still "saluted" me, of course, but not nearly as many as before the spare tire sign went into effect.
Marshall
Marshall, Anything to get their attention, right? I also have the magnetic "Patient" sign on the back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0731.jpg (56.7 KB, 119 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #25
Tinbasher

One of the members in our club purchased a set of Magnetic LED turnsignals that are used on bicyles. They are rechargeable and wireless. a controlled goes inside the car. They work quite well and when your at a judging show or something you can pop them off.
Google them. Around $100.00US $200.00 Canadian.LOL
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #26
Bruce of MN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A “Student Driver “ sticker would be humorous!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #27
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
A “Student Driver “ sticker would be humorous!

I have one of those for my car. It doesn’t seem to make much difference.

My pet peeve is when a car will pull up close behind me at a stoplight on a hill. They don’t expect my car to drift backwards a little as I get started from a dead stop facing uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:44 PM   #28
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I have one of those for my car. It doesn’t seem to make much difference.

My pet peeve is when a car will pull up close behind me at a stoplight on a hill. They don’t expect my car to drift backwards a little as I get started from a dead stop facing uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto. I find that is not just young drivers, even those who should know better do it. I think they are totally unaware that a car of this age doesn't have an automatic transmission.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:45 AM   #29
lrf

Somewhere in a past post someone suggested "CarryBright" (carrybright.com) LED turn signals that usually go on a bicycle. I bought a set of their remote control directional indicators, maybe cost $60. They work fantastic! You charge the 4 LED turn signals, and the remote. I mounted the four turn indicator brackets on each corner of my '30 Tudor bumpers with black wire ties. The indicators easily slip into the brackets. The remote also has to be charged, has a left and right button, makes a beeping noise reminder and automatically shuts-off after 20 seconds (sometimes not long enough when waiting for a light). My remote is rubber banded, (which are included) onto the steering wheel spoke making it easy access. These lights are VERY bright. I'm now not afraid to drive at night with these turn signals, LED pre-focused headlights, and LED tailights.
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 02:57 AM   #30
philcobill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post

Marshall
Yes, I have to acknowledge that many people including drivers actually enjoy seeing old cars on the road. I am constantly encouraged by folks walking along the streets and even by a few drivers to honk the ahooga horn. The vast majority of drivers give our Little Willie wide berth. That is one reason I enjoy driving him. Unfortunately there are a few folks out there who don't seem to understand, and all it takes is one driver to ruin everything.

Tell me more about the sign; I am curious. Do you have a photo of it? I love the idea and also the idea of the slow moving vehicle triangle sign.
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 03:31 AM   #31
philcobill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Marshall, Anything to get their attention, right? I also have the magnetic "Patient" sign on the back.
I love it!
Old 09-01-2023, 04:48 AM   #32
Bruce of MN

This is from decades ago, but in some state, it was illegal to display that slow vehicle sign if you weren't really slow. This is the best I could find:
https://nasdonline.org/1649/d001533/...ow-moving.html
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #33
Marshall V. Daut

"Tell me more about the sign; I am curious. Do you have a photo of it?"

If you are referring to my spare tire message, I'll look through a couple boxes of old car photos I have taken over the past 60 years. Maybe there is a photo of that sign. TBD over the weekend...
M.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #34
philcobill

[QUOTE=Bruce of MN;2252308]This is from decades ago, but in some states, it was illegal to display that slow vehicle sign if you weren't really slow. /QUOTE]

Here in New York, they are required if you drive on expressways less than 45 MPH. They might be required in other situations as well.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #35
Big hammer

Signage and lights are over rated! Most drivers just don’t pay attention! Drive like everyone is trying to hurt you! Many times people will look at you and pull out in front of you, in a modern car or in my A. I drive looking 50-50 looking out of the windshield and looking in the rearview mirrors. When I was driving motorcycles this is what I did and developed a since on who was going to hurt/kill me. Drive safe this coming long weekend drive defensively !!!!!
Old 09-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #36
Ed in Maine

I had just finished a 26 year period of finding parts and restoring my 1932 Five Window Coupe painted in Washington Blue and took it out for a short ride to show a friend. I had traveled about 5 miles from home, made a left turn hand signal for my friend's driveway and suddenly I heard the person behind me go into passing gear to pass me. I was lucky I had my window down to hear him. It was like Philcobill's situation exactly. Fortunately, I forgot about my friend and went straight ahead. Modern turn signals are an absolute must today. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #37
stevemclark

My sister gave me a hard time when I added turn signals(two element cowl lights plus a right side brake light). She said hand signals were fine with grandpa when he drove it.I told her that was 1951 when he bought the car and try hand signals for a left turn in a hard rain storm at night.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #38
Patrick L.

I adapted an extra tail light to a third stop light and leather strapped it on the spare tire. With LEDs these 3 lights are bright.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #39
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I adapted an extra tail light to a third stop light and leather strapped it on the spare tire. With LEDs these 3 lights are bright.
I have my third brake light on my spare also. It flashes 4-5 times then stays on. Altho the lense is clear it is filled with 12 RED LEDs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd BL.jpg (41.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Inside 3rd BL.jpg (52.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-01-2023, 04:20 PM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Adjustable third brake light flasher module I use. It is mounted by the brake light switch. My system is 12 volt.

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacifi...er%2Caps%2C145