Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
barnfind

Default 1936 Ford Hood Fitment

I have the front grille and fenders bolted up(in primer) and everything looks right visually.
When I set the hood halves on top(no center strip) the back hood profile on the cowl looks to be 1/2 inch or more too short on the sides versus the center of the cowl. I don't have the radiator and brackets in place but the grille to hood profile looks right or very close. Sides are not attached to the tops. Planning on using an aluminum rad and making new support brackets attaching to the grille(more or less).

Is this gap normal or do I need to do some "tweaking" on the grille/hood fitment to make the rear hood cowl fitment line up? Can post pics later.

Is there a recommended approach to getting everything to line up in bare metal, then primer, then paint?
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: 1936 Ford Hood Fitment

From experience it is difficult to fit up the front end without positioning the radiator. Since the front hood bracket bolts to the radiator it become an important locating point, with out it there is no forward registration point and therefore no way of knowing exactly how things are going together. Be advised there is a gap between the hood edge and the cowl top lip somewhere in the area of 1/4 inch. Also note there may be some alignment issues if you are installing a reproduction grille and not an original unit.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
barnfind

Default Re: 1936 Ford Hood Fitment

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Unfortunately I don't have a stock radiator or any radiator right now but do have nice stock grille I am working with. I did insert the center strip and do some tweaking on the front grille and it looks like I might have a 1/4 inch gap not the 1/2 I thought I had.
I do have a 38 radiator but it look different looking at pics.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote