Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Bud Camp

Default Starter/Wiring Problems

My 1930 Pick-up was wired with modern wiring when I bought it and I have had so much trouble with it that I decided to go back to stock wiring. It is equipped with a push button type starter button on the dash which I was going to change back to the floor swirtch, however, I discovered that someone had modified the starter and the floor type switch will not work. Using the stock wiring, does anyone tell me how to wire the push button switch so I can continue to use the starter?
Bud Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Starter/Wiring Problems

If I was faced with the problem I would have someone change the starter back to original. Having said that, you need to run a cable from the + side of the battery to the solenoid. You can use the original cable that is designed to go to the starter if the solenoid is mounted such that the cable will reach. Next you run a cable from the solenoid to the post on the starter. Note that these cables need to be heavy enough for 6 volts (00 comes to mind but check my memory, not the 12 volt ones from the local auto parts store). The push button switch activates the solenoid to close it and send the current to the starter. I believe some required you to send -6 volts to the solenoid (assuming + ground) and others required that you ground the solenoid with the push button. You must run your electrical from the hot side of the solenoid. As I said in the beginning, just do it right.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
CarlG

Depending on how the starter was "modified", the parts vendors may have the parts to return it to normal. 50 years ago (as a teenager) I modified the switch itself on my "A" and made it so I could use a push-button on the dash. Had to use a solenoid with that arrangement though. The way I did it made it possible to return it to stock with very little effort, and no extra parts.

It all depends on how yours was modified if it is easily returned to stock.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Bud, you should have a starter solenoid under the hood. If you buy a new wire harness the big ring lug that normally connects to the starter switch need to be connected to the battery side of the solenoid.
The rest of the wiring is the same.
The starter solenoid will have two large #1 Gauge wires connected to it, one to the battery and one to the starter.
To wire the push button switch and the small terminals on the solenoid, they must be wired in-series.
From the battery to the switch from the switch to the solenoid and the other small termimal to ground.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
herb
Concord CA
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Bud Camp

Thanks very much. Model A people are the berst!!!!!!
Bud Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

The wiring depends on the style of the relay. They all should have two large studs, one going to the starter and the other going to the battery. If the relay has only one small stud then it may go to a hot wire to energize the relay, or it may go to ground to energize the relay, but most likely it goes to a hot wire. If you have 2 small wiring studs, then one may be ground and the other runs to a hot wire. This is for a 6 volt relay. If you have a later 12 volt relay and 2 small wiring studs, then one might be for a coil bypass to give the coil the full 12 volts while cranking. You can use an ohm meter to check the connections.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote