Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Markymark

Default 1948-1952 truck 12 volt battery choices?...

Hey everyone...My name is Mark and I'm a Newbie to the site...I'm in the process of a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion on my 1950 panel truck...(stock Flathead 8)...

***I wanted to know what 12 volt battery choices that YOU made , that work with the stock tray and location on these trucks...(model numbers?)

***Are Optima Batteries still worth it?...since the move to Mexico?...If so (model numbers?)...

***Looking for the best "bang for the buck"... Thanks, Mark
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: 1948-1952 truck 12 volt battery choices?...

Optima is your best bet. Cost is more than the lead/acid kind, but the glass/mat technology eliminates all "acid creep" that eats battery trays, has extra cold cranking amps. I have them in my cars, and just replaced one that was seven years old, but still cranked. Look for an Interstate Battery dealer. They have all types of Optima.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
waterboychuck

Make sure that you buy a voltage reducer so that your gauges work correctly. I have no idea about Optima batteries but I just use a battery tender. I use battery tenders on my boat, AT, riding lawn mower etc.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Fredb_

I've got a 6V Optima in my 38 Ford and a 12V Opitma in my 49 Dodge and they are both great. Good cranking power and clean. My only problem with the one on my Ford is it is much smaller than the original, so I had to modify my hold-down strap. I think they also have "Ford" looking covers that can be slipped over them, but I haven't checked into that option.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Markymark

I bought a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion kit from Vintage Auto Garage...resistor is in the kit...but my harness is so "toasty"...I'll probably get a new harness also...

***Since the move to Mexico... is Optima still worth it?...
Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
I bought a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion kit from Vintage Auto Garage...resistor is in the kit...but my harness is so "toasty"...I'll probably get a new harness also...

***Since the move to Mexico... is Optima still worth it?...
It is only $20 or so more than a standard battery. IMHO yes.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

The last three Optima's that I bought, I ordered from Amazon.com
The 6V Red Tops were ~ $110.00 w/free shipping. I ordered two 12V Optima's recently for our modern vehicles at ~ $150.00 each. I know that's a bit pricey, but considering no maintenance, no acid spilling, extra cranking amps, and hopefully longer life as compared to a quality lead acid battery, I think they will pay for themselves in the long run. JMO, now other folks may have their tales of woe to tell about their experiences.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-18-2016 at 09:26 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #8
Drbrown

Just be sure Optima will cover their warranty if you buy from Amazon. Historically there have been issues re that. I notice that Advance Auto is selling Optima's now.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Just be sure Optima will cover their warranty if you buy from Amazon. Historically there have been issues re that. I notice that Advance Auto is selling Optima's now.
The paperwork from Amazon that came with my recently purchased Optima batteries came with explicit instructions on how to return this battery to them, if there should be any problems encountered. Although I have never had to return an Optima, Amazon appears to have those bases covered.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-22-2016 at 08:33 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:08 AM   #10
Diavolo

I just don't trust Optima, too many stories. I have been replacing my batteries in my daily drivers with Bosch AGM batteries. They are normal shaped and I have had no problems with them not working like they should. I do keep them on chargers if they sit for a while.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
Markymark

I ordered an Optima Red top 12 volt battery through my local NAPA auto store...I ordered NAPA part # N9934RRED...$175 with the core charge...will have it tomorrow when they open...

***anyone who has a 1948-1952 pickup/truck feel free to post what type of 12 volt battery you have in your truck...(this may help others looking for this information)....Thanks everyone!!! Mark
Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
koates

Optima batteries are at least as good as any other battery but better than most. I have a 12 volt red top optima in my Toyota Hi-Lux for 16 years and still OK. Several other of my cars for 10-12 years service. Like any item ever purchased you can be unlucky and get a bad one. The made in Mexico wingers are only sour grapes on the part of USA workers now out of a job spreading bad stories about optima quality. The best batteries in my opinion and I have fitted hundreds of them. The 6 volt optima in vintage cars works very well with 800 cranking amps on tap which is about double that of most car size batteries. Adapting them to fit standard battery carriers requires some fabrication. They will hold their charge much longer when sitting around unused than other batteries. All vintage cars that sit around for weeks and months unused should be fitted with a battery shut off switch to prevent any possible power drain. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote