Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
tyler

Default Need an answer fast...

I'm putting on a new Snyder 5.5 head and of course the new high strength studs. Macs cataloge says to use washers but Snyders doesn't.
What say you experts. Also, 11 of the studs are the same length, then two long ones that I guess are for the water pump then one that's a little longer than the 11 but shorter than the two long ones, where does that one go? I'm using the b-6051-m gasket that they recommend, is it o.k. to spray a little copper sealant on it even though they say it isn't nessesary?
Thanks guys.
Tyler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Logan

Default Re: Need an answer fast...

The little bit longer than normal stud goes in the #8 hole. Check you torque pattern to see where that is. It's for the ignition wire clamp. Also on one of my snyders heads I do not use the washers, on the other one I do. I personally don't think the washers really make a difference. I torque the head to 60 pounds. I and many other people I know use what's called "bestgasket".... I'm pretty sure that's the name of it. But I haven't had any problems out of it, and neither have some of the other people know that use it. But we also use coppercoat on the gasket.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Bubby Sharp in KY

Tyler , Use no sealant as per instructions . Longer stud is for # 8 where the ignition cable clamp goes . Do not use the gasket on the water outlet that vevders supply unless you want to crack the outlet , either use a thin paper gasket or rtv silicone between head and outlet . You will probably have to back off on the studs about a half to one turn from bottom to get a full thread on the head nuts . or order 11 more of the longer studs as used on # 8 . You will see a difference in how the car runs. Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
tyler

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Logan and Bubby, appreciate the quick help. Now back to work.

Tyler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote