Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
flatjack9

Default Oil pump

Whenever I start a new engine, I crank the engine over with the plugs out until I have oil pressure. I've done this with MCF remote filter engines also. Well I had one that would not pump. Not even out of the hose that comes out of the pan with everything else disconnected. I pulled the pan to check things and all looked well. I even modified my pump test rig to test the pump and it pumped like crazy. All back together, no flow. So I bit the bullet and started the engine and had pressure in 15 seconds. Could have saved myself a lot of grief if I had just fired it in the first place.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Oil pump

Did you pack the pump beforehand with some lube the consistency of Vaseline?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Whenever I start a new engine, I crank the engine over with the plugs out until I have oil pressure. I've done this with MCF remote filter engines also. Well I had one that would not pump. Not even out of the hose that comes out of the pan with everything else disconnected. I pulled the pan to check things and all looked well. I even modified my pump test rig to test the pump and it pumped like crazy. All back together, no flow. So I bit the bullet and started the engine and had pressure in 15 seconds. Could have saved myself a lot of grief if I had just fired it in the first place.
Interesting. I've always done the same method you described and it's always worked. I just put together a 1940 engine I rebuilt. This one is tight, she'll require 12 volts for the initial start.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
tubman

Jack,

If you remember the two oil pumps I sent you to be tested about 6 months ago, the one marked "Merc pump" had exactly that problem. I could not get pressure not matter how much I cranked it (this was in an engine that had been sitting 20 years). I finally pulled it and replaced it with another that I had packed and it had oil pressure with 30 seconds of cranking. As you probably remember, that "Merc pump" checked out good for you. I think that if a pump is too clean or too dry, this problem can manifest itself. Glad you got 'er going.

(In the next couple of weeks I hope to replace the Speedway pump in my fresh built 258" engine with one I got back from you. The results should be enlightening.)

You're a braver man than I am. I contemplated just starting the engine, but just couldn't bring myself to do it; I installed a packed known good pump instead.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have heard reports that the MCF system will not pump if the filter is first filled with oil at the time of a oil change?? But, I have not heard of that problem with an open hose. I do not think "packing" makes any difference with the MCF problem because the reports I have heard about were at the time of oil change when the pump was well lubed.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
flatjack9

Yup, I was a little nervous, but had run out of options. I always dump some STP in the pump body. Always worked for me. The only thing I can think is that my test rig turns the cam over at about a 1000 rpm and of course the engine cranks at a lot lower rpm. i do use 12 volts.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
john in illinois

Mine would not pump after draining oil and having the the engine upside down on a stand. I cracked the in line to the filter and it pumped.
This wsa 95% filter filled before installed. I think it blocked the pump.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I have heard reports that the MCF system will not pump if the filter is first filled with oil at the time of a oil change?? But, I have not heard of that problem with an open hose. I do not think "packing" makes any difference with the MCF problem because the reports I have heard about were at the time of oil change when the pump was well lubed.
I have heard that too, but in 25 years with the engine in my 39, it has never happened.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
BillM

I have also had difficulty getting oil pressure by cranking it over with my full flow system; even with 12 volts. It's worse the longer it sits after draining; but the pressure always comes up immediately after starting. The pump works quickly turned by hand in a pan of oil. I attribute it to an air lock without any other evidence.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
Lawrie

One thing you could have done was to put a hose and plastic funnel on the oil line!fill the funnel with oil!then turn the engine over backwards till all the oil is sucked in ,then reconnect the hose and the pump will be full of oil.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Ken/Alabama

Do you have the correct filter on there ? Or could the hoses be reversed ?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
flatjack9

I originally was cranking with just the bare hose open from the oil pan. Nothing. As I said, I then hooked everything up and fired the engine and had pressure in about 15 sec.