Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default Print the bearings in the block, We need a 3D babbitt printer!

Think about it.

Place the printer on the block and tell it what diameter crank, thickness of shims and let it print.

When it is done the bearings are all ready to go.

Print the caps and bolt it back together.

No special tools required, well other then a special printer.

If you thought the ink jet cartridges were pricey imagine the babbitt cost. Well it would have to be a spool of wire. Then there is the whole keeping things hot enough to melt together right. Of course the rear main cap would be interesting to make.

The idea popped in my head and then burst.

The bearings stay together because they are a molten metal that forms certain type crystals. Soldering together dots of babbitt will not form the correct crystals. Pretty sure they bearings would fall apart pretty quick.

But
Imagine if it could be done.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Print the bearings in the block, We need a 3D babbitt printer!

Kevin, are you thinking your method would produce a machined finish in a tight tolerance? I would not think it is capable of doing so.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

There many things that are wrong with the idea of 3D printing bearings.

It would also produce a bumpy finish. That is an issue with the 3D printing. You are placing dots and the surface has to bumpy. How small the dots are tells how smooth you can make the surface. With the plastic they use a solvent to level the surface and get it smooth.

The whole 3D printing thing is just idea that popped in my head and I wandered a bit with it for fun.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have wondered about 3D printing and at what point does the consumer believe they are a value? My son has been playing with Solidworks for the past 4 or 5 years since Will introduced him to it, and we have been purchasing the student edition of the software however a one-seat version of that software is over $4k so we have been looking a Alibre/Geomagic which I guess we will likely purchase in the next few months. Both SW and Alibre have the same 3D Modeling capability but the only thing I was thinking the printer does extra (at this point in time) is give someone the opportunity to hold a widget in their hand instead of viewing it on a screen. Do you really think the printer will ever be capable of producing a material that rival/equal poured soft metal?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Terry,NJ

I saw that printer make a Stainless Steel .45 on RT yesterday. How does it make the barrel? Rifling? Springs? Bear in mind that it doesn't run on 110V and costs around $600,000.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Do you really think the printer will ever be capable of producing a material that rival/equal poured soft metal?
A really loaded question. I think you are aware of the answers, but here is a bit of my take on it all.

First let me say I am not any kind of 3D expert. My job revolves around technology so I have a clue on stuff. I happen to learn about 3D printing because it appears in technical literature I read to keep up for my job.

It depends on what properties you need from the metal. There are different processes currently available.

http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?se...doc_id=1320104

The above process requires a post heating to bond the material together.

I believe I read something about heating a solder into tiny blobs to make a metal as another method.

Here is a website offering other metals:
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

The key is they have structural issues. With metals it is about how you make the crystals with other materials in the crystals modifying the properties. When you are putting blobs together you do not get the uniform crystals you made need for a parts function.

Which brings use to the old and new. Making a very accurate wax model in 3D on a computer is a big thing. Now you can repeatably make a mold for various casting processes. The science and art is making everything properly over sized to account for shrinkage.

Learning 3D modeling on the computers is a real good thing. I believe there is a good job market for those skills. As you found out the software is KILLER expensive. I do believe there are some GNU (free) software that will act like the real stuff. I also have seen a special 3D 'mouse' that lets your move through the image. One of the guys I work with was using the Solidworks. It was pretty simple to use, it appeared easier to deal with then Autocad (which I use a little).

The neat thing about 3D printing is there are many resources where you can play economically. With access to a machine shop you can build your own that does somewhat accurate building. There are lots of plans online.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Uncle Bob

I put up a link on a "can a laser printer make a fuel tank" thread a week or so ago, and here's another to the same manufacturer: http://www.solidconcepts.com/news-re...olid-concepts/

Allowing for enthusiasm and hype, it's still an amazing outcome. If these guys are this far along and willing to talk about it, there are likely others in the industry as well pursuing similar outcomes in a like fashion or down some other path. Given the potential markets worldwide there's got to be a lot of innovation/testing/development going on out there. As for the bearing question the likely answer will soon be "yes it's possible, but will it be practical?". If some other application that pays is developed that is close or similar enough it just might evolve to fruition.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Bud

I have always wondered why no one measures the crank & the caps, allow for the desired diametral clearance and make new bearings out of SAE 660 bronze tubing. Once they are bored to size, they could easily be grooved. No need to use insert bearings from another engine. The compressive strength of bronze would be better than babbit, Although one loses some embeddability characteristics, I think they would run fine for a long time. Naturally one would want a press fit on the OD of the bushing when the caps are preloaded.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Yes, it already can, for quite a few years in fact. In 2002 I worked with a company essentially doing the same thing (without the 'printer' itself) to produce some small specialized injection mold lifters with internal conformal water cooling lines. It would be physically impossible to machine these parts conventionally, but they were 'printed' by laser welding alloy steel powder in incremental layers. The powder was delivered to the laser weld puddle and the puddle moved in 3D space to build the part layer by layer. In this case, the part was expensive, though the equipment was not high tech. It was essentially a robot welder in a controlled atmosphere with a low tech powder blowing application and a part math geometry that had been baloney sliced in thin layers driving the system.

Wow, cool!! Thanks for sharing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
dumb person

3D printing babbitt seems a bit odd when it melts at low temp' and can be bored with tools that do not look very complex but this laser welding steel alloy sounds interesting. Printed engine blocks.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

The 3D printing technology is something that is coming. I read an article the other day where they said they would be able to recreate human parts, like a heart, by laying down human cells in layers to build the heart. I think maybe this is a ways off but looks like it could happen someday.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I have always wondered why no one measures the crank & the caps, allow for the desired diametral clearance and make new bearings out of SAE 660 bronze tubing. Once they are bored to size, they could easily be grooved. No need to use insert bearings from another engine. The compressive strength of bronze would be better than babbit, Although one loses some embeddability characteristics, I think they would run fine for a long time. Naturally one would want a press fit on the OD of the bushing when the caps are preloaded.
The problem with just bronze, Brass ect., the bearing will Gall.

All bronze inserts were babbitt lined, if they would work with out the babbitt, it would have saved a lot of money.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
KenCoupe

Jay Leno has a 3D scanner and printer for his Garage. It looks like he (his people) uses it mainly to do rapid prototyping for parts that are no longer available and have to be fabricated. He scans the original, prints it plastic (mostly) to test fit and function, then uses it to fabricate the actual part. Below is a link to one article discussing it:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...y-old-parts-1/
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
700rpm

I think we'll see this within 10 years, and it won't be babbitt. I predict some kind of plastic that will wear better and not shatter will replace babbitt. Any bets?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I think we'll see this within 10 years, and it won't be babbitt. I predict some kind of plastic that will wear better and not shatter will replace babbitt. Any bets?
That's exactly what I was thinking... i.e. a hard plastic that wears like metal.

I was also thinking about downloadable libraries for your 3d printer. Model A vendors would sell libraries of downloadable software instructions for your printer instead of physical parts. Click, print, install.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
RockHillWill

Vince is correct, it's already being done.

Several months ago a couple of friends of mine and I had an opportunity to visit a NASA contactor in Huntsville, Alabama, and before we got thrown out of there, a gentleman was describing their 3D scanner and their ability to download the file, clean up the 'point cloud' well enough that they were able to produce a user-friendly component. It was at the point of the explanation about the material that they began to share with us the finer parts of the parking lot. I was disappointed, but not mad. I have been thrown out of better places than that place!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
DUNN1929

Lots of information on the web. It is an absolute for the future as long as they can bring the price of the machines down for the general population.

DMLS or Direct Metal Laser Sintering can combine different metals into the same component to improve the longevity of the parts.
NASA is already using one to create rocket parts using materials with low melting points.

Google 3D metal printing.
DUNN1929 is offline   Reply With Quote