Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
M2M

Thumbs down Tudor front seat crunch time

As soon as I purchased my restored late 31 Tudor the first thing that went on the list of things to do was the front seats as they are unusable; and I mean unusable not uncomfortable. With two fingers not pushing with full strength you can fully collapse the sides making it like sitting on a damn yogaball. The centre part of the seat is no better. You'd have to weigh under 100 pounds not to sink deep; it's like sitting in a beanbag chair.

Here is what is in the passenger seat. To my eye, things don't line up as you would expect if they were professionally made new springs...note various gap sizes between springs, and springs of various heights and/or states of compression. Do I have restored original springs? Amateur installation of new springs? Or...?

I have a friend with a restored Model T Tudor and his seats are much much better. He has Snyder springs I believe.

Here is a photo of a Snyder Model A Tudor front spring, it doesn't look like what I have...I think.

Apart from selling the car, what are my options? I want firm or very firm seat springs...I don't want to disappear into the seat. I am very picky when it comes to seating position and comfort. If comfortable I can spend 12 hours a day driving; if uncomfortable 12 mins is too long.

I'm unsure if Snyder springs will be firm enough for me. They use 10 gauge coils in their seat springs. I rang Tom there ask about having ones made with 8 or 9 gauge coils but he hasn't got back to me

Another option is to forget coil springs and have high quality 16 year foam around the 25-50 spec fitted. Not my preferred option but I do not want to go on a long and expensive journey of having coil springs made with an uncertain outcome.

There's a local auto upholstery place I'm going to take my seat for their opinion. Maybe they can replace the current coils with 8 gauge or do something else. If it works on this passenger seat I can do the same for the driver's seat.

What are your thoughts?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote