Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
rundmt123

Default Rebuilt Engine

Apologies since I know this has been asked and answered before but I was coming up empty searching..... had the engine rebuilt for the project I’m working on. It is really tight. Someone told me to try starting it with a 12v battery. Won’t turn. The only way I can get it to turn is towing it in 3rd gear. In lower gears the tires actually won’t turn. Is this somewhat normal? And do I just have to keep towing it in 3rd until it loosens?
rundmt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Rebuilt Engine

So you can start it by towing, and after running for a while it's still too tight for the starter to turn it over after it has cooled down?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
rundmt123

Haven’t started it yet. Just trying to turn it so I can time it. Managed that. Assuming the only way to start it it tow and pop the clutch? Just surprised I cant get it to turn in lower gear. Tires slip on the pavement.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Railcarmover
BANNED

Rebuilt engine should bar over easy,might be a shade tight to hand crank till it burnishes in some. Thing is if its tight bearings it might burnish in,if its tight rings (improper gap) your hacking up your cylinder walls.I realize its a chore but I would pull it down and find the culprit,might save you from doing the job twice
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
1crosscut

I wouldn't open it up but leave that to the person that did the work for you.
What do they say about it?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Barber31

If I remember correctly, les Andrews book states after all rotating assembly is installed, it should only take 30lbs on a torque wrench to rotate the entire assembly! I would definitely start removing the pan and front/valve covers to inspect for the culprit. A full rebuild cost is not something I would want to gamble with for a second time.
*edit.
I assumed you meant you rebuilt the engine. If someone rebuilt it for you, I would highly suggest you return it and let them do the inspection if a warranty was given to you.

Last edited by Barber31; 05-19-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

At the rate you are going you are going to break a rear end gear. Before you do anything else take it back to the shop that rebuilt it and explain the problem. Don't void the warrantee by tearing into it. Give us their name and how they treat you.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Gastrap

Sounds way too tight, my new build turns over at 30 ft lbs, and turns steadily a bit lower than that.
Better tear into it and see what's up.
Did the crank spin freely without rods attached?
Gastrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Any chance the wrong starter bolts have been installed??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
MAG

X2 on the starter bolts.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
rundmt123

I don't believe so but will check. Dumb question but what would be the effect of this?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundmt123 View Post
I don't believe so but will check. Dumb question but what would be the effect of this?
If bolts are too long they will rub against the flywheel.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
Joe K

30 ft-lbs is a pretty good pull with a hand crank. If you can't hand crank it AT ALL then something is definitely wrong.

Read up on hand cranking if there is a chance the engine could start. No hobby is worth an injury.

Joe K
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Haven’t started it yet. Just trying to turn it so I can time it. Managed that. Assuming the only way to start it it tow and pop the clutch? Just surprised I cant get it to turn in lower gear. Tires slip on the pavement.
The Pistons, and bearings are to tight. Do NOT go any further, tear it down, or you won't have anything to work with.

This would be a tough one, because I would have NO faith in your builder at all. If you can't get basic clearances right, what kind of machining was done. If the guy is cheaper then most, there is a reason for every thing!

But you need your money back, may be not all, but a bunch.

Good Luck,

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
You have more leverage, but not enough weight on the rear wheels. You don't want to use low any way. It should be High gear, at not over 15 miles an hour. Plugs out, gas off, oil in, and cooling system full. The best way for a good engine, but maybe, not yours.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #16
Ed in Maine

I had the same problem after a rebuild. I talked with the engine builder and he insisted that the engine did turn nicely after the rebuild. Then he asked me if I had turned the engine once a month a few turns so that it wouldn't take a set! Opps, I hadn't done that and the engine had sat for 5 years before I was ready to use it. Like previously suggested, remove the plugs, WD40 & Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and then towed the car in high gear very slowly with my tractor. The hood was off so I could see the fan. Then I very slowly let out the clutch until I could hear the clutch starting to drag and then I bumped the starter with a 12v battery. And bingo, the fan started turning and I let the clutch out the rest of the way. I can tell you I was one happy guy. I towed the car a couple of miles and the motor was much better turning with the 12v battery. DO NOT "POP THE CLUTCH"! You may damage the rear end gears or the axle keys. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
Mikeinnj

Take it back to the rebuilder and have him check all clearances. Something is wrong with the assembly. A new rebuild should turn and start with the 6 volt battery if it was built correctly. Even then ,on the initial start, just run the engine for one minute. Turn ot off, let it cool completely and repeat, each time doubling the run time and letting it cool completely. This process allows the babbit and rings to gradually wear in without overheating any component until enough wear-in has allowed the engine to be run normally. When you gat to the point that the engine has run for one hour straight, drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil and you are good to drive easy for the first 100 miles varying the cars speed and not "lugging " the engine in a too high of a gear. Good Luck !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
chap52

Return it to the re-builder before you mess up something that he can blame on you. It should turn over by hand. I would even let him check those starter bolts. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote