Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Sid

Default spark plug wire looms

I have a aftermarket 2x2 intake. Not sure of brand. As some intakes are not drilled with all the bolt basses like the originals. Some aftermarkets are not drilled between the intake ports. Mine is not drilled. I have a nice stainless wire loom that looks like it may be a Drake brand that I can not use because of this. Is there an aftermarket loom like this and still allows you to run the coil in the stock position as an AB motor that bolts to the left front intake and uses other bolt holes? Speedway has one which is not the style I was wanting but not sure it works on a 59AB coil position. (916 12001) Speedway #. I am trying to avoid cutting and welding one if I don't have to.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: spark plug wire looms

Can you drill a hole in the manifold in line with the block hole?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Even some stock manifolds did not use all the holes in the block.

Drill and tap a hole in the manifold and install a threaded stud. (in the manifold only )
Old 12-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Sid

There is no meat between intake ports to drill manifold. Of course I see this after everything is almost together. Has anyone used the speedway loom using stock 59AB coil mount? Otherwise my next choice is to cut the tabs off my Drake looking ones and have them re-positioned and re-welded. (stainless) I would choose to use the stock ones but the driver side uses the bolts between intake ports also.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I have a aftermarket 2x2 intake. Not sure of brand. As some intakes are not drilled with all the bolt basses like the originals. Some aftermarkets are not drilled between the intake ports. Mine is not drilled. I have a nice stainless wire loom that looks like it may be a Drake brand that I can not use because of this. Is there an aftermarket loom like this and still allows you to run the coil in the stock position as an AB motor that bolts to the left front intake and uses other bolt holes? Speedway has one which is not the style I was wanting but not sure it works on a 59AB coil position. (916 12001) Speedway #. I am trying to avoid cutting and welding one if I don't have to.
As a side note, stainless or chrome wire looms may look keen but they are a big source of ignition failure due to capacitive leakage of high voltage.
Plug wires should not be run in pipes and should be spaced at least 1/2 inch from each other to limit cross firing. (a common source of cap failure)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote