Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
ericr

Default Restorers: Did your body metal parts assemble easily?

-or did you find, like me, you had to use line-up tools, smaller-diameter bolts, enlarge holes, and otherwise tug and struggle to attach fenders, running boards, splash aprons, etc., regardless if the parts were repro or original?

It makes me concerned about what kind of tension the restored bodies end up in, and whether that leads to other issues. or maybe you guys feel the bodies were originally awkward to fit together....
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
az58cameo

Default Re: Restorers: Did your body metal parts assemble easily?

Every thing you have described and more i have done! Line up tools,filing and tweaking to make fit is (to Me) BODY WORK, and fitment and tweaking are pretty much the norm,
I have a 58 Chevy Cameo truck that has a world of fitment issues,Due to at the time trucks down the assembly line were not given the love that you would find on the Cars during that time!
Model A's on the other hand probably fit well during their Birth but look how old they are now and were they probably have been and how many times they were rode hard and put away wet, I know the older i get i personally have fitment issues!!! LOL...
Allen
az58cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Sunnybrook Farm

Much of it comes down to the frame and how years of flexing in various directions causes the bolt holes all over the car to be slightly off even after a restoration. Then consider that the body parts are stretched and patched as well. Even if the frame were riveted again there might be some bend in the steel. It is hard to make it like new after 85+ years.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Russ/40

Wow, can I relate! I have learned with my '29 RPU, that you have to be very observant when parts dont fit. Meaning, patience in finding the origin of the fitment problem takes time and extreme patience. Fitment problems cascade about many parts and can be madning to solve. My journey has given me a tremendous respect for those who do these cars proffessionally. Getting fitment without paint damage takes a lot of talent and experience.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Wow, can I relate! I have learned with my '29 RPU, that you have to be very observant when parts dont fit. Meaning, patience in finding the origin of the fitment problem takes time and extreme patience. Fitment problems cascade about many parts and can be madning to solve. My journey has given me a tremendous respect for those who do these cars proffessionally. Getting fitment without paint damage takes a lot of talent and experience.
Russ is right. I have not done any major body work on my 1928 Tudor, but have done frame off restorations of a 72 Chev truck, an 81 Jeep CJ7 and a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. All took lots of work to get the new metal (and some of the old) to line up. Patience and a BIG hammer are needed.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 03-04-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Forgot introductory clause.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Tinbasher

This is the norm. I've worked on cars from 1903 to present. Fitting is always an important step when the metal work is finished and the filling and prepping begins. I always try to get the best alignment I can and then one bolt at a time, remove a bolt, use a die grinder to open the hole up to the original shape and replace the bolt. This takes time at this step but saves the paintwork when your done. If your really trying to do a really good job, once your parts are ready for paint assemble the car again to make sure that from the sanding and moving the parts they haven't changed shape. It's strange how by sanding out a fender it will change shape. Been there,scratched my head, asked why?

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Roadster62

As far as "been there done that" all fitment should be done with parts in bare metal or primer. Trying to fit painted parts is just asking for trouble. Bob
Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

Other than the repair of the back panel and panel formers, so far so good. Quarter panel replacement went OK after I figured out that you needed to bend the lip around some and then let the bolts bring it back to square. Cowl panels were the biggest challenge, but not real bad. Rod
Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
JOHN CT

Here's a story. I was on a waiting list for 2 new rear fenders for my 31 Tudor. I was told by a reliable vendor that when they get enough orders he will start stamping them (well ok) 2 years later I received a phone call saying he has enough orders and going to start stamping. Of course I said I'll take a pair. About 2 weeks they were delivered to my front door for $350.00 great! Primed the fenders removed the old fenders and the new ones didn't fit not even close! So l can't return them, sold the pair less than what I paid for to a friend of mine with the same year and model and guess what they didn't fit eather. Reproduction parts Haha so now I'm stuck with fenders that maybe I can sell to a hotroder
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
denis4x4

Interestingly enough, the corner panels and upper and lower back panels on the '29 CCPU in my avatar fit perfectly. The irony is that these parts were made by Howell down in Texas!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Synchro909

When I assemble, I leave all of the bolts loose till everything that takes a bolt, has one, then tighten a bit here, a bit there till it is all pulled together.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
apbright

For me, tugging, mild bending, hammering and pushing have been need on two cars, with original and reproduction sheet metal alike. I, too, have used the same method as Synch909. Welcome to the fun!
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
bartmcneill

Put me down for alignment problems too. The sedan on the left was a bear but after it went together it seems fine.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Chris in CT

Hi Eric, You are not alone. Mine fought me every inch of the way...
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

If they went right together it wouldn't be any fun. It's much better sweating it out
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
If they went right together it wouldn't be any fun. It's much better sweating it out
I did too much sweating, it wasn't fun, the only thing that went well was installing the shocks and painting the frame after it was sand blasted.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
Much of it comes down to the frame and how years of flexing in various directions causes the bolt holes all over the car to be slightly off even after a restoration. Then consider that the body parts are stretched and patched as well. Even if the frame were riveted again there might be some bend in the steel. It is hard to make it like new after 85+ years.
This is the story on our 1930 TS...... What a job. If I had known would have bought a finished car. Yes, it was fun, I loved learning and the comradeship.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #18
glenn in camino

The biggest problem I had was with a couple of repo rear fenders on my 31 sport coupe. But after a couple days of pushing and tugging, they're on and look good. Patience and persistence works every time
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote