Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default need advice on manifold/gas pushrod combo

My '35 5 window is named Lucille after a dear lady that I "adopted" and call Mom....she is 92 years old and she has gifted me with a Fenton dual carb manifold that was hand polished by her husband, it was to be used on a car that he had before he passed away 22 years ago. She had tears in her eyes when she gave it to me. She told me if she is to get the ' first' ride I had better get the car running soon...I have been working on it for 6 years. I am within days of getting it running and obviously I would like to use this manifold, but here is the problem, the manifold is for a 49-53 8BA engine, my rebuilt block is a 1948 59AB.....I am concerned about the fuel pump push rod....the 59 AB one is too short....the 8BA rod is too thick to go through the bushing...so I have ground the lower diameter down to fit through the bushing thinking I solved the problem......but last night as I fell asleep I realized that if something is off here I could ruin the cam lobe and my engine would have to be disassembled to fix it. I do not want to use an electric fuel pump.I REALLY want to use that manifold...can someone give me some guidance here please? ...thank-you,.... Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: need advice on manifold/gas pushrod combo

Was your original 59 ab pushrod from a engine with an alluminum or iron intake? The iron intake push rods are 8.87" and the alluminum ones are 7.87" you could maybe switch to the iron one being longer and cut it down at the top if necasary. Brand new its $5.95 through macs which is a lot cheaper than a new cam.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: need advice on manifold/gas pushrod combo

Early Flat heads have two length fuel pump push rods 7 7/8" and 8 7/8'", The short one is used for the low boss fuel pump intakes, the longer one for the higher boss fuel pump intakes. To determine the one you need you have to measure the thickness of the fuel pump rise from the intake deck to the face of the fuel pump stand. You will also have to use the earlier fuel pump stand and vent tube not the 8ba fuel pump mount. If the intake boss to surface measures 1 3/8" its a short rod, if it measures 2 3/8" it's the longer rod.