Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Dobie Gillis

Default New to Y-block, Intake Manifold Puzzle

Hey guys. Been a member here since last year but haven't posted much. I acquired a '55 Merc w/292 and have a couple of questions about the intake. There are 2 holes just behind the rearmost runners, 1 on each side that go into the heads. I found them after I bought the car; there were crankcase fumes issuing forth from them. I plugged them with big vacuum caps but I'm wondering what they're for? Obviously they shouldn't be open to atmosphere. The reprint service manual doesn't show them which leads me to believe the manifold is for some other application. Would they be a good place to install a PCV setup? A previous owner installed a half@ssed PCV system, the road draft tube port on the block is blocked off with a plate and gasket. The thing runs OK but leaks oil more than one might expect, even from a known leaker like a y-block. Any insight appreciated.

I might add that the holes in question are not threaded. The intake is for the original Holley Teapot carb, so it's for a pre-1957 application.

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 03-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Gerry

Default Re: New to Y-block, Intake Manifold Puzzle

Heads are reversable so if it was turned around you would find something on the front that would line up with, I think the intake front runner? If we are talking of the same hole. Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Dobie Gillis

Thanks, Gerry. The heads are reversed; the temp sender is located at the rear of the driver side head. It should be be at the front of the passenger side head. I don't see anything on the heads that looks like it would line up with the holes, but they might be covered by the runners. I'll try to get a pic or 2 and post them. I have to pull the intake to replace the valley cover gasket when the weather warms up so maybe I can solve the mystery then. I'm tempted to leave it as is and just plumb a PCV system using those holes. The system the PO cobbled up doesn't seem to work all that well.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
darrell

the temp,sender is where its suppose to be.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Ole Don

The early blocks, like yours, have all the extra holes clear though to the valley chamber.
There is one at the rear of each head, and a trio straight down on the rear of the block. If any of them are unfilled, vapor can get out, but dirt and water can get in. Be very careful the hole fillers that are 3/8 USS at the rear of the heads are not too long or they will contact pushrods.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
paul2748

The temperature sender should be at the rear, left head. Yours is correct.

The holes at the extreme rear are usually threaded. The one on the left is for a clamp to hold the temp and oil sending unit wires. The one on the right is for a bracket that holds the spark plug wires. As was said before, use a short bolt in these holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Thanks, Gerry. The heads are reversed; the temp sender is located at the rear of the driver side head. It should be be at the front of the passenger side head. I don't see anything on the heads that looks like it would line up with the holes, but they might be covered by the runners. I'll try to get a pic or 2 and post them. I have to pull the intake to replace the valley cover gasket when the weather warms up so maybe I can solve the mystery then. I'm tempted to leave it as is and just plumb a PCV system using those holes. The system the PO cobbled up doesn't seem to work all that well.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
parklane

Just to let you know that Fords don't leak oil, they just mark thier territory.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
rick55

I think you will find that the holes you are talking about are the threaded fixings for the spark plug cradles.
I presume you are not using the factory spark plug lead holders.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Dobie Gillis

I couldn't feel any threads in 'em with my pinky finger. These are part of the manifold casting. I'll see if I can find some freeze plugs that will fit when I pull the manifold. I'm using the stock style plug wire brackets mounted where the pic in the manual shows them.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
There are 2 holes just behind the rearmost runners, 1 on each side that go into the heads.
Quote:
I couldn't feel any threads in 'em with my pinky finger. These are part of the manifold casting. I'll see if I can find some freeze plugs that will fit when I pull the manifold. I'm using the stock style plug wire brackets mounted where the pic in the manual shows them.
You have any pictures? Sounds to me like your describing the two rear manifold hold down bolts... with the bolts missing... There's nothing else back there that could possibly be open to the engine that is on the manifold casting???
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Dobie Gillis

I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow. Missing bolts wouldn't surprise me; I've found other fasteners loose/missing and expect I'll find more as I get into this thing.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
GREENBIRD56

I think he's referring to the hole where we usually find an adapter for the heat sensor on the driverside - and a freeze plug on the passenger side. If you were to take the heads off and swap them side for side, those two holes then line up with the water passages across the front of the intake casting. The adapter for the temp sensor and the freeze plug on the opposite side, if you leave them in place the heads become "RH" and "LH". Otherwise the heads are the same part for either bank.
GREENBIRD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

I thought that too, at first. But he says it is on the manifold casting AND "crankcase fumes issuing from them"...
It sounds like he had it running and if so water would be coming out the holes you suggest, not to mention the front water passage would be plugged if the freeze plug was still in it.
I'm confused , we need pictures.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Hot Rod Reverend

I always thought that one hole was supposed to hold the bolt that holds down the spark plug wire loom bracket. The other side (at least on 55 and 56 Ford Passenger Cars) was used to bolt the engine ground strap/cable that then attached the fire wall.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Dobie Gillis

Here's a pic I snagged off the net. The holes in question are at the extreme bottom.

^ ^

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 03-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Hot Rod Reverend

Those holes at the bottom are to torque the manifold down to your heads...

Y block OEM manifolds have four bolts up front (because of the water ports), 4 studs in the heads (with the 4 half-egg washers), and then two bolts in the rear.

Were these bolts not even there when you disassembled the engine? Trust us, the thereaded holes to receive the bolts are in each head.

Apologies about my confusion... I thought you meant the holes in the heads themselves.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
paul2748

The two holes at the extreme bottom are for the rearmost intake hold down bolts.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
Tinker

But the real question dobie is what those 4 holes in the middle are? Nice car in your avatar.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
Those holes at the bottom are to torque the manifold down to your heads...

Y block OEM manifolds have four bolts up front (because of the water ports), 4 studs in the heads (with the 4 half-egg washers), and then two bolts in the rear.

Were these bolts not even there when you disassembled the engine? Trust us, the threaded holes to receive the bolts are in each head.

Apologies about my confusion... I thought you meant the holes in the heads themselves.
Nope, no bolts. I haven't disassembled it. It actually runs. I guess I couldn't feel the threads with my little finger because I couldn't get my finger in there far enough. Any idea how long the bolts are supposed to be? I might have a couple in my collection...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
But the real question dobie is what those 4 holes in the middle are? Nice car in your avatar.
LOL! Thanks, Tinker. She followed me home. I think I'll name her "Party Doll" after the '57 Buddy Knox hit. Seems to fit...