Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
cvicky

Default manual three spd trans

the number on the side is AB-1222-B 0 5
61 U i want to buy seals , is this a truck trans and or what year
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: manual three spd trans

Try Mac at Van Pelt Sales. He may be able to ID it by the numbers and may have what you're looking for.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/
Old 05-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Ford Motor Co has a unique numbering system for parts that has evolved some but is still patterened along the same lines as it was back in the model A era. I'm not sure about the origins of the prefix AB. Ford used it a bit at the beginning of production of the 1932 model year but there was a change in the late 40s & early 50s where they were beginning to transition to a new prefix system. Now the four digit number sequence doesn't match with anything in the transmission line that I'm aware of since most transmission related part number sequences are in the 7000 range. Transmission cases would generally have a sequence like 7001 or 7002. The 1222 sequence is clear down in the wheel & spindle parts section. It would be more like a wheel bearing part number. Are you sure that number sequence begins with a 1 or could it be a 7? The shifter towers and cover plates are in the 7222 range and this is the reason I ask.

I would need to see a photo of the case to give you any information. A lot of casting numbers don't mean much but on cylinder heads, and transmission cases, they generally do have a part number type format.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: manual three spd trans

That ID is the vendor main case CASTING ID NO.

Need a photo.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
cvicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford Motor Co has a unique numbering system for parts that has evolved some but is still patterened along the same lines as it was back in the model A era. I'm not sure about the origins of the prefix AB. Ford used it a bit at the beginning of production of the 1932 model year but there was a change in the late 40s & early 50s where they were beginning to transition to a new prefix system. Now the four digit number sequence doesn't match with anything in the transmission line that I'm aware of since most transmission related part number sequences are in the 7000 range. Transmission cases would generally have a sequence like 7001 or 7002. The 1222 sequence is clear down in the wheel & spindle parts section. It would be more like a wheel bearing part number. Are you sure that number sequence begins with a 1 or could it be a 7? The shifter towers and cover plates are in the 7222 range and this is the reason I ask.

I would need to see a photo of the case to give you any information. A lot of casting numbers don't mean much but on cylinder heads, and transmission cases, they generally do have a part number type format.
yes its AB-7222-B and the tail AB7651-A and the side cover is sqare
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: manual three spd trans

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicky View Post

yes its AB-7222-B and the tail AB7651-A and the side cover is sqare
It is a BW259 3/S.

The one shown below has the BW OD case extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW259 _2 - R10 OD.jpg (68.1 KB, 121 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The Ford 259 series was used for a long time in cars and pickups depending on the engine application. The design came from the 1948 change over from the torque tube drive to the open drive shaft set up that lasted till 1951. Borg Warner may have had a fair hand in the design and some production but it's hard to say how much. The overdrive set up was Borg Warner but BW also added ODs to several other manufacturer's designs such as the GM Saginaw and others.

Ford changed the gear design for their light duty transmission in 1951 to use the later diamond pattern gears with new ratios. After 1953, there were more and more engine applications that required more strength plus Ford always hedged their bets against production shortages. This is likely why they started using the T86 top loader design as well as the improved 259 design. Ford Likely made a lot of their own castings & parts as well as subbing out parts to companies like Borg Warner to insure no production shortage.

Borg Warner had an exclusive 5-year contract with Ford for the manufacture of the Ford-O-matic design automatic transmissions beginning in 1951. This is why other manufacturers didn't use them in that time frame. They also supplied them a lot of clutches. Ford made what they could and subbed out the rest.

Ford also made heavy duty 3-speeds but they are big and mostly for larger pickups & trucks

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-06-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
mercman from oz

Larger picture posted by KULTULZ showing the BW OD case extension.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
rotorwrench

That is the earlier Ford type where the cars were still using the old style clutch controls set up. That changed in 1952 when they went to swing pedals. The side cover has the 1A prefix for the 1951 Ford shoe box types. The later 259 types still looked a lot like that though.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:08 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Red face Re: manual three spd trans

Correct. I put my finger in the wrong hole.

The BW-259 being discussed here was used by FOMOCO from 1955 to 1962.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - FORD BW 259 3S _6.jpg (39.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg TRANS - FORD BW 259 3S _5 - BW T85.JPG (18.8 KB, 1 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
cvicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Correct. I put my finger in the wrong hole.

The BW-259 being discussed here was used by FOMOCO from 1955 to 1962.
here's a picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4112.jpg (121.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: manual three spd trans

THANX! for that.

rotorwrench was correct with the descriptions of the CASTING ID NOS. Because you entered a wrong BASIC NO, I a$$-u-me(ed) it was a BW NO.

Those numbers are individual component CASTING ID NOS. It will not positively ID a trans assembly but will get you in the ball park

- DISCLAIMER -