Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default A bomb hoist for the rear bumper

Last week I bought this little crane from a seller down south of Seattle on Craigslist. When I first moved to the island in the 70s the electric utility co-op had a similar hand winch unit on all their service bodied trucks. I always liked them, and I can't lift stuff like I used to. I called the seller and asked if I paid full asking price would he drop it off at a truck freight place and ship to me. I pay shipping (75 bucks). There was no close up photo, but I liked the enclosed winch. Well I picked it up at our freight terminal last night in the dark. When I arrived home my wife came out with a flashlight and we examined it. She read "portable bomb hoist" US navy ordinance dept etc. I was thrilled. I went out there at 'dawn's early light' and started measuring for the HD bumper to fabricate to mount it on my '47 tonner. Then of course I had to go to work. But stay tuned this spring as I build a mount and stays for this thing. The fine tooth ratchet is like a Swiss watch and it has some sort of 3/4 turn device coupled to the handle that automatically reverses direction without stopping to flip a lever. The base pipe measures 3 1/2" OD. What am I looking for a bottom 'cup'? Do they make 3 1/2" pipe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bomb hoist 1.JPG (134.1 KB, 1456 views)
File Type: jpg Bomb hoist 2.JPG (105.9 KB, 1383 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-04-2021 at 11:16 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: A bomb hoist for the rear bumper

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 02-05-2021 at 02:42 AM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 AM   #3
Will D

Neato GB. Great find.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:39 AM   #4
Talkwrench

how cool !
Old 02-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

We used one in original condition for MANY years. Great performance and durability and portability.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:42 AM   #6
PeteVS

NOMINAL pipe size 3" measures 3-1/2" OD. Sounds like a winner!
Old 02-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
fortyonerag

Score!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
NOMINAL pipe size 3" measures 3-1/2" OD. Sounds like a winner!
The crane is made out of that size with an OD of 3 1/2". I need pipe that's got an ID of 3 1/2 and perhaps 4" OD. This becomes a socket that's bolted or welded to the bumper that the crane pivots in at the base. I suppose I could also find something that fits the ID of the crane's post and create a stud for it to drop onto. No rain gets in that way as well.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
alanwoodieman

back a few years ago a friend used to pull his correct craft ski boat out of the water and hang it in his boat house with two of these-tough/easy to use. likw gb I can't lift like I used to
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
The crane is made out of that size with an OD of 3 1/2". I need pipe that's got an ID of 3 1/2 and perhaps 4" OD. This becomes a socket that's bolted or welded to the bumper that the crane pivots in at the base. I suppose I could also find something that fits the ID of the crane's post and create a stud for it to drop onto. No rain gets in that way as well.
Here's a table of pipe sizes. Schedule 40 is what you're likely to find in a local vendor. Schedule 80 is for higher pressures and other arduous demands. Schedule 80 would more likely to be found in industrial type places.

Additionally, tubing should be able to be found in just about any combination of OD/ID and wall thickness. These sizes would be most likely found from an industrial supplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe-schedules.jpg (21.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
GB SISSON

From what I gather, the original unit was just the winch, the tube and the cable with hook. The portable part was that certain planes like a Catalina for instance carried bombs and torpedos beneath their wings. There was a hole in the wing above the rack and somewhere some 'U' shaped brackets for the tube to lay in. I think I read it has 15' of lift. The cable does not wind haphazardly around a drum. Instead the drum is machined with a spiral groove around it. Considering it's original purpose it was well engineered for good reason.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete! Looks like schedule 40 3 1/2" pipe is perfect. I'll start my search!
Old 02-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
Hal Beatty

Those are a nice unit! We had a couple of them at the museum which would have worked for loading ordnance on the center line of the Skyraider but never used them.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
1948F-1Pickup

Retired ordnance officer here.... that’s pretty cool. Never seen one of those but we mainly transferred nukes.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #15
Los_Control

I wonder if it is a "area" thing.
Grandpa bought a couple of those from Hanford in Eastern WA.
Just saying I have never seen another like it outside of Washington.

He had one mounted on the rear corner of the blue goose. A 1954 3/4 ton international with a 9' box. It really did tear up the box over the years.
That bomb hoist was used for over 30 years lifting engines and such ... things that were really to heavy for it.
He had a built in jack stand in the bed ... pull a lever and it dropped to the ground then put in the pin. Now when you picked up weight the truck would drop a little bit.
Last time I used it was about 5 years ago. I backed up to a shed and then pulled a 6 cyl flathead engine from the back corner. Then loaded it into the bed, hauled it to the shop and used the bomb hoist to unload it.

Truck & hoist is gone today, what a useful tool.
Today we have electric hoist that do the exact same thing, I would not mind owning one of the old bomb hoist.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #16
rawlir

GB,
I too, am restoring a 47 Tonner (pickup)
Would love to compare notes?

Thanks.

Rick [email protected] 425 766 7408
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlir View Post
GB,
I too, am restoring a 47 Tonner (pickup)
Would love to compare notes?

Thanks.

Rick [email protected] 425 766 7408
Hi Rick, maybe you should check out my thread here called 'what in tarnation' and an earlier one called 'drums along the malbec', I'm sure there are more about me and my tonner world. I will give you a call tomorrow since it is Saturday. Late for me tonight, Almost 8 pm!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
Mart

I rescued a similar unit from the local scrap yard.
It turns out it was a bomb loading hoist for a WW2 Mosquito plane.

My friend does voluntary work at a place that has a Mosquito so I donated it to that good cause.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #19
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Retired ordnance officer here.... that’s pretty cool. Never seen one of those but we mainly transferred nukes.

Or "Special Weapons" as the Army called them. From a guy who guarded them '72-'73.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #20
Los_Control

Found a photo of Grandpas truck, get a idea how he mounted it.
Also cant see it, there was a pipe that would drop to the ground had a foot on it, used a bolt to pin it in place. When you picked up weight, it would squat a little til pipe was firm on ground and then solid.
Not sure, but think it may slide up into the mast for storage again held in place with a pin. Very simple but efficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a 031.jpg (84.7 KB, 241 views)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #21
rotorwrench

I've seen several styles of those type 1/2 ton capable bomb loader winches. Some are set up to go on top of the wing like the PBY and others are set up to fit onto the side of the bomb rack. This link has photos & a bit of info clear at the end of the document. Those are very good quality winches for certain. Just make sure your wire rope is in good condition.
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...ent/index.html
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #22
D. Jones

Fifty years ago when I worked for a local propane company all of our service trucks had one of those mounted in the bed. We used them to load empty 100 gallon propane tanks. Wish I had one today.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #23
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Control View Post
Found a photo of Grandpas truck, get a idea how he mounted it.
Also cant see it, there was a pipe that would drop to the ground had a foot on it, used a bolt to pin it in place. When you picked up weight, it would squat a little til pipe was firm on ground and then solid.
Not sure, but think it may slide up into the mast for storage again held in place with a pin. Very simple but efficient.
That's a great photo. I like the idea of the drop down leg. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Along the way I built the jalopy of ford parts on my toyota landcruiser chassis. Today I am in the process of installing the ww2 bomb hoist on my reinforced rear bumper. Rebuilding a weak rear bumper was the hard part. Once it was made Heavy Duty, I built mounts for the bomb hoist and to sort of even things out I mounted an old Athol vice on the left side. Things tend to balance out when you take your time and do it 'your way'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoist vice.jpg (127.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg bomb hoist vice 3.jpg (123.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg athol vice.jpg (123.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #25
51504bat

Did you decide not to go with a drop down leg? Regardless, looks great.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Yes, its a pretty solid hoist, I added multiple leafs on the rear, I'm Ok
Old 09-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #27
Los_Control

You all good. Just depends what you want to do with your truck & hoist.
I am not sure what "your" intentions are. I know what my wife Grandfather did with his old 1951 International 1 ton with the bomb hoist. I have used it several times myself.

Grandpa worked on large trucks. 2 speed rear ends, 5 speed transmissions, brownies etc. He had a shop truck with a bomb hoist & he used it.

My experience using the truck 6 years ago, the hoist was kinda worthless without the drop down foot. Picking up a flathead V8 block in the yard was a pain without using the foot.
You have the long arm out back swinging around. You picking up weight and it is multiplied.
Not like a engine was just set in the back of your truck with a forklift ... The arm and weight 3' behind your truck matters.

The other issue was Grandpa picking up too much weight. The hoist would pick it up.
But since the mast was so high and then the weight out on the end.

He ran a cable from the mast to the front of the bed to hold it up straight when picking up a load.
The body panels were really bent. Really sad because it was a 9' bed with rear duels. Brother in law decided to go a flatbed. Bed could have been fixed.

Your truck looks great. To be functionally period correct, I think you need the foot ...you want to abuse it get the cable.
Or just drive it and love it.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:10 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
You all good. Just depends what you want to do with your truck & hoist.
I am not sure what "your" intentions are. I know what my wife Grandfather did with his old 1951 International 1 ton with the bomb hoist. I have used it several times myself.

Grandpa worked on large trucks. 2 speed rear ends, 5 speed transmissions, brownies etc. He had a shop truck with a bomb hoist & he used it.

My experience using the truck 6 years ago, the hoist was kinda worthless without the drop down foot. Picking up a flathead V8 block in the yard was a pain without using the foot.
You have the long arm out back swinging around. You picking up weight and it is multiplied.
Not like a engine was just set in the back of your truck with a forklift ... The arm and weight 3' behind your truck matters.

The other issue was Grandpa picking up too much weight. The hoist would pick it up.
But since the mast was so high and then the weight out on the end.

He ran a cable from the mast to the front of the bed to hold it up straight when picking up a load.
The body panels were really bent. Really sad because it was a 9' bed with rear duels. Brother in law decided to go a flatbed. Bed could have been fixed.

Your truck looks great. To be functionally period correct, I think you need the foot ...you want to abuse it get the cable.
Or just drive it and love it.
OK you are tempting me to do the foot...:Perhaps even one that cranks down like a trailer tongue... but that's too modern.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #29
flatford8

Your hoist will save the ‘ol back for a few more years!.....looks good Gary !!......leaves are starting to change in New England......hope you and the family are well !!!........Mark, from way over here....
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #30
Los_Control

iirc, the the main pipe for the hoist was hollow on Grandpa's.
He just had another pipe that would slide up inside of it.

That pipe had some plate welded on the bottom for a foot. Then several holes drilled through it and a hole drilled through the main mast.

Reminds me of the old cheap jack stands we use to buy in the 70's. Where you would raise the center pipe and push a pin through to hold in place, then lower car onto it.

Same idea just upside down on the bomb hoist. Pull the pin, foot drops to the ground, raise the foot up a couple inches off the ground line up with the closest hole and insert pin.
Now when you put a load on the hoist the suspension will go down til foot hits the ground. When you put the load in the truck, the weight comes off the hoist,foot comes off the ground ... Pick it up into home position and pin it. Simple.

If you drop the foot and it is lined up with a hole and pin it .. Then pick up your load and suspension sinks 2" from the added weight ... the foot is still sitting on the ground.
Now you either get your jack out and take the weight off the foot, or you unload and raise the foot higher off the ground before loading.

I have no clue where Grandpa got the idea, this is just how he did it. Kind of primitive, but worked really well once you got use to it.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
iirc, the the main pipe for the hoist was hollow on Grandpa's.
He just had another pipe that would slide up inside of it.

That pipe had some plate welded on the bottom for a foot. Then several holes drilled through it and a hole drilled through the main mast.

Reminds me of the old cheap jack stands we use to buy in the 70's. Where you would raise the center pipe and push a pin through to hold in place, then lower car onto it.

Same idea just upside down on the bomb hoist. Pull the pin, foot drops to the ground, raise the foot up a couple inches off the ground line up with the closest hole and insert pin.
Now when you put a load on the hoist the suspension will go down til foot hits the ground. When you put the load in the truck, the weight comes off the hoist,foot comes off the ground ... Pick it up into home position and pin it. Simple.

If you drop the foot and it is lined up with a hole and pin it .. Then pick up your load and suspension sinks 2" from the added weight ... the foot is still sitting on the ground.
Now you either get your jack out and take the weight off the foot, or you unload and raise the foot higher off the ground before loading.

I have no clue where Grandpa got the idea, this is just how he did it. Kind of primitive, but worked really well once you got use to it.

Unfortunately my pipe has a half-cut in it to sit on the bumper. Another pipe wont fit. How 'bout If I use a trailer tongue jack, the type with a crank and it mounts to the rear bumper on a stub of 2" pipe and a pin locks it on? I could weld the pipe mount right alongside the hoist on the face of the bumper. It comes on and off easily with a spring loaded ball type 1/2" pin. Also doesnt add weight to that corner as it would only be there when needed. In your opinion would that give the type of support needed? I plan to add a steel gusset to the mast as right now I have a strap of 3/8" x 1 1/2" steel at the top. Edit: I just found a weld-on pipe mount Reese sidewinder trailer jack. Square tube body, 5k capacity. 12" lift. Sidewinder configuration lets me mount it a close as possible to the mast.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-12-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #32
Los_Control

I revisited another photo of the truck. First let me say your project is 100 times better then Grandpa's old yard truck. While this photo is about 6 years old and still being used around the yard, Grandpa drove the truck for 30 years this way. Today it is now a flatbed with new paint & wiring. Just sad the brother inlaw was to cheap to do the bodywork to keep the bed.

In the photo we can see what he did was weld some channel to the frame and sticks out. Then a smaller channel for a foot that sticks out further. But it tucks right up into the bigger channel. Also a bracket further up connecting it to the bed.

They have a modern version of this, with a electric hoist, the foot is still very important.
Like a backhoe with outriggers. You may use it to do a small job like move something. You would not use it to dig a ditch without the outriggers down.

Thats all the foot is, a form of a outrigger. Help you do your job.
The trailer jack actually sound like a better option because you can turn the crank and raise or lower it.
Question is, do you get enough travel from the jack? Why they turn sideways. Drop them down and then crank it down ... not very attractive.

Another option would be to create brackets to attach a pipe to the side of your mast, then the foot inside to drop down ... just one idea.

Another option would be to throw a bottle jack and a wooden block in your truck when you go to pickup a load. Just set it up under your frame. Will do the exact same thing as creating a foot.

There really must be 100 other ways to create a cure for the issue. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a 030.jpg (88.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #33
GB SISSON

I took a picture of the type of jack I would use on the rear bumper. This is one I already have in use on the rear quarter of an equipment trailer. For mt 47 tonner I would used one with a side crank so it would be coupled close to the mast. Same mount. It is not attractive on a vintage truck so it would be stowed elsewhere until needed for lifting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right quarter bomb winch.jpg (150.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg left quarter bomb winch.jpg (140.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg weld on trailer jack.jpg (163.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:41 AM   #34
PeteVS

Do you have some sort of anti friction thrust washer to allow you to rotate the boom with a load hanging on it?
Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #35
D. Jones

Great score. You'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

When I worked in LP gas repair and installation we had several of those bomb hoists mounted in the back of our service trucks. If I could find a good one today I'd make an offset mount for a class three hitch with a jack leg on either side and use it to load our yearly freezer load of free range organic meat, (elk) in the back of my truck.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #36
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Do you have some sort of anti friction thrust washer to allow you to rotate the boom with a load hanging on it?
I have a coffee can with old throw-out bearings in it but of course couldn't locate it when I needed it. Right now the mast sits on a 5/8" bolt cross drilled through the base tube. I will need to weld a disc on the mast's bottom end when I get to that. Max OD of the bearing would be 3 5/8". On one hand there is very little flat terrain on Orcas Island. If there were too little friction I could have a wildly swinging load. I also have a couple of those 1/2" thick nylon cutting boards used in kitchens that I have made 'bearings' from.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #37
38bill

Gary, I'm loving the work bench, vise, hoist, bumper thing going on but what the heck is on the trailer in front of the truck?
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #38
rustythumb

if anyone in o.c,ca. wants one of these hoists for free, i have one!
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #39
Los_Control

I love this truck @GB sisson, We all have different ideas of a dream vehicle.
I love utility vehicles I can use. I have a project truck and what you have is the direction I am headed.
In another thread I was advised to dump the 11" clutch, I shot back that I really want the 11" clutch for a shop truck. To each our own.

Yeah what is that on the trailer .... you building 2 speedsters next?

Hope someone takes you up on that Rustythumb, myself too far away in TX.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Quote:
I love this truck @GB sisson, We all have different ideas of a dream vehicle.
I love utility vehicles I can use. I have a project truck and what you have is the direction I am headed.
In another thread I was advised to dump the 11" clutch, I shot back that I really want the 11" clutch for a shop truck. To each our own.

Yeah what is that on the trailer .... you building 2 speedsters next?

Hope someone takes you up on that Rustythumb, myself too far away in TX.
Ok Los, They are two Vietnam era drop tanks. I got 5 of them a few years back when they were clearing an old property here for a new home. I went around that night dumping 4 of them on friend's properties, so they'd wake up to a surprise in the morning. I got one back so now have 2. Thinking catamaran with a 239 and an aero pusher prop.... That's gonna have to wait. Oh and this red tonner has a 210 cu in cummins 6at 120 hp turbo diesel coupled to a gm sm 465 and stock rear end.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #41
mfirth

GB, ahve a "blast" lifting stuff with it. Interesting & good idea.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #42
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
GB, ahve a "blast" lifting stuff with it. Interesting & good idea.
For you guys that might like this truck the thread is " What in Tarnation"
Old 02-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #43
GB SISSON

I lifted some fairly large engine blocks with my hoist today and two things... It needs the foot that I never did and a thrust bearing would help this old heart patient. I think I said it was 3 5/8 ID in the carrier tube. Throw-out bearing? I am ordering the crank up trailer jack leg right now.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:52 PM   #44
1952henry

Check Mcmaster Carr, if throwout bearing idea doesn't pan out. Not sure if they have thrust bearings that large, but they have many different flavors. Worth a look.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #45
Als48

GB, I admire your ingenuity! You need to rig up a starter motor to run that hoist! I put one on a Cushman scooter years ago and it went faster than the gas motor ever did. Just not for long, Ha ha.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #46
GB SISSON

The gearing is ok for operating with the crank. Not sure I want an engine block coming in hot and smacking me on the chin! These young whipper snappers thing THEY invented the electric scooter..... And I will check out McMaster Carr. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:23 AM   #47
Tinker

Looks great, super cool. Looked at putting a cherry picker on my f150. this is waaaayyy better.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #48
sugarmaker

Gary,
I havent followed this close. Probably late to the party. You say thrust bearing. Is this to allow you to rotate the crane when it has a load on it?
If so have you considered bearings and races from a wheel assembly? I used some large tractor bearings and races for my jib crane in the shop and they seem to work very good and can move easily with a load out on the 12 foot end. Rear axle tractor bearings were about 2 inch I.D. and 4 inch O.D. ish.
Just a idea for what its worth.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #49
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
I havent followed this close. Probably late to the party. You say thrust bearing. Is this to allow you to rotate the crane when it has a load on it?
If so have you considered bearings and races from a wheel assembly? I used some large tractor bearings and races for my jib crane in the shop and they seem to work very good and can move easily with a load out on the 12 foot end. Rear axle tractor bearings were about 2 inch I.D. and 4 inch O.D. ish.
Regards,
Chris
I like the idea. I'm sure an overseas version should hold up forever in my usage. And you can see my black carriage bolts with square nuts bleeding some blackness onto my rough cut side boards. For you I guess the boards should be planed if your business name will be lettered.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:50 AM   #50
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
Regards,
Chris
A good tapered bearing should be good for the "top" bearing to carry the load and allow easy rotation. But, the bottom end of the rotating shaft will need a bearing too. (Just think that the moment caused by the weight of the item being lifted times the length of the lifting arm will be carried by an equal moment on the shaft being rotated in the stationary member welded into the truck body.) A simple caged roller bearing (not tapered) down at the bottom of the rotating shaft.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #51
GB SISSON

Been a year or so since I started this. Lifted my 650 lb welder this afternoon. No leg on the bumper yet, maybe next weekend. This went very smoothly just the way it is, but there's always room for improvement. Been using old wrenches for bracing as I was given a 5 gallon bucket of big end wrenches after a neighbor passed away. The star of the show is this amazingly smooth and powerful winch. It is every bit the Swiss watch with it's fine toothed ratchet and the magical ability to easily lift that that welder and then effortlessly lower the load just by cranking counterclockwise. I have no idea what is happening inside that enclosed cast aluminum housing, but I do believe in magic now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welder on hoist.jpg (133.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg welder on hoist 2.jpg (143.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg hoist 3.jpg (125.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #52
petehoovie

Quote:
Been a year or so since I started this. Lifted my 650 lb welder this afternoon. No leg on the bumper yet, maybe next weekend. This went very smoothly just the way it is, but there's always room for improvement. Been using old wrenches for bracing as I was given a 5 gallon bucket of big end wrenches after a neighbor passed away. The star of the show is this amazingly smooth and powerful winch. It is every bit the Swiss watch with it's fine toothed ratchet and the magical ability to easily lift that that welder and then effortlessly lower the load just by cranking counterclockwise. I have no idea what is happening inside that enclosed cast aluminum housing, but I do believe in magic now.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-25-2022, 10:57 PM   #53
cas3

I dont see the " old wrenches" being used for bracing. am I missing it ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #54
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I dont see the " old wrenches" being used for bracing. am I missing it ?
Go to the 3rd picture, click on it. Then stretch the pic to enlarge it.
Now see the thickest part of the mast just below the top-side-flange of the bed. there is a brace extending forward to the bed side.
More obvious us the black shadow cast by the sun. It appears as a diagonal slant from the mast to the body. Old wrench.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #55
GB SISSON

There are 2 wrenches involved. The long combination wrench to the bedside and a one ended open end below it, rolled around the base pipe and welded to the stake pocket. The stake pocket was already all patched up by a previous owner.... It's all just some hillbilly stuff cobbled trogether with what I have here on the place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrench support 1.jpg (108.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench support 2.jpg (126.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 PM   #56
petehoovie

Quote:
There are 2 wrenches involved. The long combination wrench to the bedside and a one ended open end below it, rolled around the base pipe and welded to the stake pocket. The stake pocket was already all patched up by a previous owner.... It's all just some hillbilly stuff cobbled trogether with what I have here on the place.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #57
D. Jones

Good find!

Back in the 60's and early 70's I did service work for a local propane company. Every service truck had one of the bomb hoists to load heavy items. More than once I've wished I had bought one when they were available.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #58
GB SISSON

This type of behavior can be carried to an extreme as witnessed by this photo from James Wagner's 'Ford trucks since 1905'. Ok, and another, just because.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat in the air.jpg (160.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Cat hoist.jpg (143.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #59
petehoovie

Quote:
This type of behavior can be carried to an extreme as witnessed by this photo from James Wagner's 'Ford trucks since 1905'. Ok, and another, just because.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:04 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Thanks again Pete! I can see a Tee shaped foot or outrigger on the right side below the hoist.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:26 PM   #61
Graeme / New Zealand

I had a friend who had one of these that was adapted to cantilever from a 4 legged rack by a screw in carabina clip, he used it to take engines in and of cars. I remember it was grey and had the same US Navy plate on it. This is way down here in NZ. It was probably brought down by the Yanks during the war as the Marines were here preparing for Pacific Island hopping.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:28 PM   #62
GB SISSON

Mine has traces of navy gray under the black and yellow stripe job. A fellow barner sent me a pm noting that he worked on these winches many years ago. They have a special clutch in them with a heavy spring and friction discs. That's how they can crank in both directions while holding the load with no jerking motions when going from fwd to reverse. This same system was used to raise and lower the barrel of the gun in our tanks and continues to be produced for various industries today. He agreed with my 'Swiss watch' feel saying they were very well built.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:44 AM   #63
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
Good find!

Back in the 60's and early 70's I did service work for a local propane company. Every service truck had one of the bomb hoists to load heavy items. More than once I've wished I had bought one when they were available.
They show up on Ebay regularly, I bought one about a year ago.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote