Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
mhsprecher

Default A simple fix - once I figured it out.

I have had chronic problems with the connection between my exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe on my 1930 Fordor. My car came with that problem when I bought it almost three years ago and I had tried every fix. I used a jack to make sure the connection was tight, bought a new clamp and bolts, used muffler cement on the joint and finally resorted to an inner pipe at the connection.

The last, and a new exhaust manifold, were the first fixes I did while getting my car ready to drive to the MARC meet, but it was the one that undid me. I got 30 miles from home and the exhaust pipe came undone and was dragging on the road. I lost the insert pipe in the process. I got it rigged up, returned home and parked the car in the garage. I drove my 2013 Ford to Niagara Falls.

Thinking about it, I finally came to the realization that the flange where the muffler meets the manifold was not right. Looking at the Aires stainless muffler they were raffling at NF convinced me that was the issue. The Aires muffler had a much wider flange.

When I got the car apart this week, it was obvious that this was the case. Putting the clamp on to check the fit on the almost non-existent flange on the muffler, I could see that there was no way the clamp would hold the muffler on.

I could have tried to hammer it out myself, but I have a car repair and muffler shop about a half a mile from my house, so I took my old exhaust manifold and the muffler there to show the guy what I wanted him to do. He complained and said the pipe on my muffler had to be spread too much, it was too old, it would split, yada, yada. He agreed to try and with two operations of his flaring machine, it was done. I took the muffler home, reinstalled it, using only the original type clamp.

I am an acceptable shade tree mechanic, but when you have little experience, there is a lot of trial and error. A joint of any kind is only as good as the two surfaces you are trying to mate. I just assumed that the muffler was made properly and should fit. Not the case at all.

I wish I had taken photos of the before and after, but I was too focused on fixing the problem. Given all the chatter here and products and write-ups in the catalogs about leaks at this joint, I bet others have this same issue.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 07-03-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: edit for grammar
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: A simple fix - once I figured it out.

The old cheap mufflers had 3 problems. The small flange was one, the first bend being too great was the second, and they were more restrictive than an original muffler. I think these were the $50 mufflers made by Midus, which are no longer being sold.

I didn't want to buy a muffler more than once, so I bought an Aries stainless and have been happy with it. In fact Aries sent me an email telling me to save shipping (2 fit in the same box) I could buy a second one for no extra shipping charge, so I did.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
mhsprecher

Tom, I think you are right about that. I think the one I had is more restrictive. I will likely replace, but I wanted to get a little more use out of this one and needed it ready for the July 4 parade tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
djlanier

I have wanted to thank you guys on this forum anyway so now seems like a good opportunity to do so. I had similar issues to mhsprecher. But, after reading how you walked another member through the same thing, I realized my exhaust manifold was warped as well. Bought a new exhaust manifold and had it surfaced with the intake manifold. For good measure I bought an Aries muffler. It runs so much quieter, sounds like a different car. I really enjoy and appreciate the knowledge you share.
djlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Terry Longest

I had a similar problem on a tour to Chattanooga several years ago. Field fix in motel parking lot was with pair of pliars to increase the flare. The permanent fix was Aries muffler with the station wagon extension.
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
mhsprecher

My car sounds crappy with the current muffler - it sounds like a tractor. I like the sound of a tractor, but not from a car!