Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
skeeter

Default Help

I'm looking to put used hubs on new drums. Does anyone have any tips or inside information on making this task easier so I don't do any damage?

Thanks!

Skeeter
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
criswellnk

Default Re: Help

Yes, if you have not already bought your new brake drums, send your hubs to whatever vendor you plan on buying your new drums from and have them do it. This way it is done and finished, with no problems. You can do it yourself, but on this task I would much rather have someone do it for me. This would be the most trouble-free way of going about it, at atleast to me.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by criswellnk View Post
Yes, if you have not already bought your new brake drums, send your hubs to whatever vendor you plan on buying your new drums from and have them do it. This way it is done and finished, with no problems. You can do it yourself, but on this task I would much rather have someone do it for me. This would be the most trouble-free way of going about it, at atleast to me.
I agree with this. I sent two sets to Bert's in Denver and had them installed on cast iron drums. Did a great job.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
kenparker

Nothing wrong with used hubs as long as they are in GOOD condition. Front hubs should have the races tight- preferabley new races. The studs should be drilled out instead of beat out with hammer which will warp the hub. I put my hubs on the lathe and check them for true. Make sure the key way in the rear hub is tight. NO slooppyy fitting key. Also check inside diameter of rear hub. No more than .003 wear. and it should be smooooootth as silk.

As Cris said above. Send them out or at best get someone that has done this before to help you. A badly warped or cracked hub from improper pressing and it becomes a boat anchor.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote