Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default 56 2 Door Wagon, what weatherstripping did you use Rear Quarter Windows?

Have the interior trim off and opened up the hose over the Quarter Sliding and Stationary windows, surprise, it leaks, profusely.
Reading about the repairs in the shop manual, the person who did the job before didn't do it right.
The rear stationary window is supposed to be a weatherstrip material only, while the sliding window rests on a 3 sided felt strip. The felt strip was used for the whole job, and the entire interior trough is supposed to have a bead of sealant. I now wonder how all the trim was sealed? to the car. Also, screws are missing from the upper felt trim...that's why it was sagging with the window slid open. Okay, okay last item, the window bumper stops aren't there. I guess no benefit of a shop manual.

Okay here is the question, anyone else do this work? What did you use for the two windows, what sliding strip, and what weatherstrip? How did you clean it up? Any insights as to the work?
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
56 ranch

Default Re: 56 2 Door Wagon, what weatherstripping did you use Rear Quarter Windows?

For the stationary window, I used Steele Rubber- part number 70-3598-99. I ordered 14ft to do both windows. For the sliders, I ordered from Restoration Specialties & Supply. Part number Y526-96-WIN X 2. I ordered these uncrimped on one end, to allow them to be bent into the needed shape. I will warn you that the stationary seal is not the same material as the original. I could not find anything to match the existing style, but the Steele Rubber product does the job.
56 ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Jwawhite

Default Re: 56 2 Door Wagon, what weatherstripping did you use Rear Quarter Windows?

Thank you for responding.

Did you find the Y526 a bit wide? Did it interfere with the weatherstrip on the stationary glass? What do you mean uncrimped? The item articulates, bends into curves, right?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
56 ranch

I didn't find it too wide, and there wasn't any interference. You need to get one end uncrimped so that the stainless and the fabric will bend together. If it's not uncrimped on one end the stainless beads will kink as you bend it.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
frank long island

I second restoration specialties they have a vast product catalog I used there channel on my wagon when I did it I think I bought the window "fuzzies" in bulk and cut my own
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
Jwawhite

Thanks guys, question for 56 Ranch: did the product bend well, especially at the upper part of window? I think that area is greater than 90 degrees.
Was it difficult to push the rear window inwards and then the front, upon removal? What did you use to clean the mess up? The hardened sealant? Assembly easy? How much adhesive should one use upon Assy? Of course the stationary window was glued to the weatherstrip and the WS to the body....gunk it all up and clean immediately? Have time to move stuff around before it hardens?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
56 ranch

I used rubbing alcohol and a knife to clean up the mess. The driver's side windows were not hard to remove, but the previous owner had glued down the right side slider, and I cracked the glass getting it out. No big deal, it needed to be replaced anyway. The key is to go slow, and they come out fairly easily. I used plenty of sealant, and it did make quite a mess. I found it was easier to clean after it hardened. I used a razor to scrape and remove it. The slider weatherstrip will conform to the shape you need, but again make sure you get it uncrimped on one end. If the stainless beads are crimped on both ends, they will kink and tear away from the material. Don't get in a rush and they will bend easily. By the way, the 96" length is what you will need for each side. The 96" is barely long enough to do the job.